Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > defrag missing

defrag missing

RR

after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install, defrag is
not working.

Error message is as follows:

"MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not have
sufficient access rights to the file. "

I have already reinstalled Windows.
Of all the years of working with computers I have never seen this message.

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

RR wrote:
> after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install,
> defrag is not working.
>
> Error message is as follows:
>
> "MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc. This may be
> because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
> created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not
> have sufficient access rights to the file. "
>
> I have already reinstalled Windows. Of all the years of working with
> computers I have never seen this message.

I don't have that file anywhere (Win7 Ultimate x64) and my native
defragger works fine. The MS defrag program I have is dfrgui.exe

--
Crash

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
~ W. Edwards Deming ~

TEKMATE

Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
it.
Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled. I find
defraggler works pretty good with these two operating systems. I guess
this doesn't answer any your questions though.

--
TEKMATE
TEKMATE's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163105.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Tom

"RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install, defrag
> is
> not working.
>
> Error message is as follows:
>
> "MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.
> This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
> created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not have
> sufficient access rights to the file. "
>
> I have already reinstalled Windows.
> Of all the years of working with computers I have never seen this
> message.

Which operating system, XP, Vista or Win7?

XP, click Start/Programs/Administrative Tools you should see that there

Vista and Win7, you can simply right on C: (or your system drive letter)
after opening My Computer and choose to defrag from there. Or Click
Start/Help and Support and type defrag in the search field, and you get a
help box with the defrag link in it.

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

TEKMATE wrote:
> Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
> it.
> Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled. I find
> defraggler works pretty good with these two operating systems. I guess
> this doesn't answer any your questions though.

I do I disable it? (Windows 7 Ultimate x64)

--
Crash

"When you get to a fork in the road, take it."
~ Yogi Berra ~

Dave Warren

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> TEKMATE
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
>it.

If by "constantly defragging" you mean "Defrags once a week, but only
when the computer isn't in use" then you're correct.

>Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled.

Umm, no. Vista is good (and W7 is better) at backing off when there is
user activity, so during the actual defrag there shouldn't be any
noticeable performance loss during the defragmentation.

The rest of the time you may see a performance increase or you may not,
it really depends on the way you use your system and your hardware
whether fragmentation would have caused a performance hit or not.

Tom

"TEKMATE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Windows Vista and Windows 7 are constantly defraging unless you disable
> it.
> Computers will usually run faster with defrag disabled. I find
> defraggler works pretty good with these two operating systems. I guess
> this doesn't answer any your questions though.
>

> --
> TEKMATE
> TEKMATE's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/163105.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...on/1283627.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

Defrag never runs constantly, only when it's set to run. If there is user
activity happening, it won't run.

One's PC running faster has nothing to do with the Windows defrag program,
but is has totally everything to do with what one's PC has running at
startup and how much RAM and high end hardware they have to be able to run
Vista and Win7.

John Barnes

Which OS are you running. Where in the system do you get this message? Can
you open an elevated command prompt and run 'defrag /C' no quotes and the
drive letter you want to defrag.

"RR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> after a bad crash, motherboard replacement and Windows re-install, defrag
> is
> not working.
>
> Error message is as follows:
>
> "MMC cannot open the file C:\windows\system32\dfrg.msc.
> This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was
> created by a later version of MMC. The may also be because you do not have
> sufficient access rights to the file. "
>
> I have already reinstalled Windows.
> Of all the years of working with computers I have never seen this
> message.

John Barnes

Sorry, that's defrag C:

news:(E-Mail Removed)...