Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > After re-install, old C drive hiding

After re-install, old C drive hiding

john.west

The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came with
this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My Computer window
to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to see the C drive was
still three quarters full, the same as before I did the re-install.

Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows 3.4GB and
MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but nothing that would
account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored somewhere on this computer.

Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere? What would be the
next sensible step please? Thanks for advice.

Desk Rabbit

john.west wrote:
> The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came with
> this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My Computer window
> to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to see the C drive was
> still three quarters full, the same as before I did the re-install.

Computer make and model?
Was the disk a full windows disk or a manufacturers recovery disk?

> Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows 3.4GB and
> MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but nothing that would
> account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored somewhere on this computer.

What is the total size of your hard drive?
What is the used space?
What is the free space?

> Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere?

A physical disk can have many partitions, the first of which may be
called C:

What does Disk manager have to say about your disk and partitions?

> What would be the next sensible step please?

Provide as much information as possible about your system and what
exactly you are/were trying to achieve.

freemont

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:56:43 +0000, john.west writ:

> The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came
> with this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My
> Computer window to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to see
> the C drive was still three quarters full, the same as before I did the
> re-install.
>
> Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows 3.4GB
> and MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but nothing that
> would account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored somewhere on this
> computer.
>
> Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere? What would be
> the next sensible step please? Thanks for advice.

It sounds like you installed XP on top of itself, instead of formatting
and reinstalling. If you wanted to start with a clean drive, you should
have formatted.

--
"Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·-> freemont© <-·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯

john.west

"freemont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8151a$4b2a3cf0$471c205b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:56:43 +0000, john.west writ:
>
>> The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came
>> with this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My
>> Computer window to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to see
>> the C drive was still three quarters full, the same as before I did the
>> re-install.
>>
>> Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows 3.4GB
>> and MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but nothing that
>> would account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored somewhere on this
>> computer.
>>
>> Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere? What would be
>> the next sensible step please? Thanks for advice.

> It sounds like you installed XP on top of itself, instead of formatting
> and reinstalling. If you wanted to start with a clean drive, you should
> have formatted.
> "Because all you of Earth are idiots!"
> `..`-> freemont <-`..

Thanks. Is there any way i can format it now without having to go through
all the procedure again? (i just never noticed the option to format, but did
get confused when they started giving options about partitioning).

freemont

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:47:59 +0000, john.west writ:

> "freemont" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8151a$4b2a3cf0$471c205b$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 12:56:43 +0000, john.west writ:
>>
>>> The other day I re-installed Windows XP with the install CD that came
>>> with this computer. When I went to check the hard drive in the My
>>> Computer window to see how empty it would now be, I was surprised to
>>> see the C drive was still three quarters full, the same as before I
>>> did the re-install.
>>>
>>> Looking at the various folders in there, it has the usual Windows
>>> 3.4GB and MSworks 303MB and a few more similar sized files, but
>>> nothing that would account for the huge 94 odd Gigs being stored
>>> somewhere on this computer.
>>>
>>> Is this my old C drive still on this computer somewhere? What would
>>> be the next sensible step please? Thanks for advice.

>> It sounds like you installed XP on top of itself, instead of formatting
>> and reinstalling. If you wanted to start with a clean drive, you should
>> have formatted.

> Thanks. Is there any way i can format it now without having to go
> through all the procedure again? (i just never noticed the option to
> format, but did get confused when they started giving options about
> partitioning).

Heheh... oh, my. Yes, I'm afraid you'll have to go through it again. We
are a bit lost, aren't we?

Note this and pay close attention: you will lose EVERYTHING on that drive
after a format. If you have pictures, documents, music, or whatever else
saved on that hard drive in that computer, it will be GONE after
formatting the drive, and you will not be able to get it back. That needs
to be crystal clear in your head. A lot of people just don't /get/ that,
until it's too late. They say they understand, they format and install,
and immediately ask where all their Itunes went.

*Everything will be gone after formatting.*

Now. If you don't have anything on the drive that you want to keep, then
do what you did before, only this time, choose to format the drive.
Format it NTFS, and choose "quick" format to save time. Good luck.