Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EOS XSi/450D

Canon EOS XSi/450D

John Kecskes

I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I am getting is
"Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is faulty, clean lens contact.
can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not work on a digital camera, it works OK on a film version.
Thank You
John

Once you've accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you're too old to remember it.

Ofnuts

On 17/12/2009 06:42, John Kecskes wrote:
> I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I am getting is
> "Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is faulty, clean lens contact.
> can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not work on a digital camera, it works OK on a film version.
> Thank You
> John
>

> Once you've accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you're too old to remember it.

IIRC Sigma has never got the official license for the Canon mount and is
doing reverse-engineering. Usually their lenses work with Canon bodies
available when the lens goes to market.

However I heard that some lenses can receive a firmware upgrade which
allows them to work on more recent bodies.

--
Bertrand

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John Kecskes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I am
> getting is
> "Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is faulty, clean lens
> contact.
> can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not work on
> a digital camera, it works OK on a film version.

I have the same camera, but not the same lens. If other lenses work fine
on your camera, contact Sigma for assistance. If no other lenses work on
your camera, contact Canon for assistance. Good luck.

J. Clarke

Ofnuts wrote:
> On 17/12/2009 06:42, John Kecskes wrote:
>> I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I
>> am getting is "Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is
>> faulty, clean lens contact.
>> can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not
>> work on a digital camera, it works OK on a film version. Thank You
>> John
>>

>> Once you've accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you're too
>> old to remember it.

Clean the contacts--it does no harm and if it fixes the problem then you
know that that was it.

> IIRC Sigma has never got the official license for the Canon mount and
> is
> doing reverse-engineering.

While this is true it misleadingly suggests that there _is_ an "official
license from Canon". Canon claims that _no_ third party has been licensed
to manufacture lenses using the Canon mount and that _all_ such lenses are
necessarily reverse-engineered. Some apparently do a better job of it than
others--some Sigma stuff doesn't even work with other Sigma stuff which is
kind of crazy, but it's hard to blame a license for that.

> Usually their lenses work with Canon bodies
> available when the lens goes to market.
>
> However I heard that some lenses can receive a firmware upgrade which
> allows them to work on more recent bodies.

Best thing to do is call Sigma tech support and see what they say. They do
answer the phone, and if there's a known fix they'll be happy to apply it
for you--the people at Sigma USA, however, are technicians, not engineers,
and depend on the engineers in Japan to actually develop the fixes so they
can't come up with a firmware fix for a problem that the Japanese haven't
decided to address.

John Kecskes

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 16:42:23 +1100, John Kecskes <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to use a Sigma 28-200mm lens with this camera, but all I am getting is
>"Err 01" communications between camera and Lens is faulty, clean lens contact.
>can somebody advice me if this is the problem, or this lens will not work on a digital camera, it works OK on a film version.
>Thank You
>John
>

>Once you've accumulated sufficient knowledge to get by, you're too old to remember it.

Thank You all for the info