Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Re: Microsoft Settles with EU

Re: Microsoft Settles with EU

JD

- Bobb - wrote:
> Microsoft Settles EU Antitrust Case Over Web Browser
> http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aFVrAqcMgLR4
>
> Glad to see that the EU held out and that Microsoft for once isn't "getting
> it their way".
> ' Microsoft was fined 1.68 billion Euros ($2.46 billion) in previous EU
> antitrust probes.'
> I think their accountants finally convinced Ballmer to 'get over it'. They
> always think that they're big enough and can outspend/outwait others. Doing
> this years ago would have not only saved Microsoft $2.46 billion, but made
> them look like a good 'corporate citizen' too.

I have to agree with you there.
Microsoft are getting better tho they have some open source projects,
they settled that incident with the ISO burning tool for win7 downloads
(turns out that a 3rd party they hired ripped off open source code)

Altho I complain about the price of there retail OS they are getting
pretty generous giving away Media Center with win7, giving away all
versions of Visual programming languages (net,basic,c, c++) beta testing
of there new os's, beta testing of there new office (still overpriced in
my book tho) security essentials, malicious software removal tool etc, etc

I've used a lot of operating systems over the years, in fact when I got
my first PC within a month I was using Linux and Windows, I'm a big fan
of open source and free software my favorite OS is FreeBSD, and was once
a huge advocate of Linux and a hater of the evil empire that is Microsoft.

but as I've gotten older I've realized that no one OS is perfect or
right for everyone, I think Windows is a fantastic OS especially win7.

oh dear I seem to have gotten into a bit of a rant there.

JD