Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Best format to create DVD Movies?

Best format to create DVD Movies?

Artreid

What is the best format to create DVD movies that might actually work when
attempting to watch on TV?

I am using Convert2DVD 4 to create DVD movies NTSC but when I attempt to
watch them on TV I get nothing or a msg that states something like "No
Video". I can play these movies fine on my computer.

chuckcar

"Artreid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hgb4pu$hp1$(E-Mail Removed):

> What is the best format to create DVD movies that might actually work
> when attempting to watch on TV?
>
> I am using Convert2DVD 4 to create DVD movies NTSC but when I attempt
> to watch them on TV I get nothing or a msg that states something like
> "No Video". I can play these movies fine on my computer.

MPEG-1 compression for the video and pcm (wave) for the audio. Perhaps
ac3 would work for audio as well. There is no other DVD standard. Other
compression formats work on computers because you have the codecs for
decompression of others, but they then are no longer DVD's in the strict
sense.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

83LowRider

"Artreid" wrote

> What is the best format to create DVD movies that might actually work when
> attempting to watch on TV?
>
> I am using Convert2DVD 4 to create DVD movies NTSC but when I attempt to
> watch them on TV I get nothing or a msg that states something like "No
> Video". I can play these movies fine on my computer.

You do not state what format your original video is in.

That said, if the video is just for you, I'd get a Phillips dvd player
(from $40-$90) that will play virtually any format you throw at it.
That includes everything from jpgs to avi files, cds and dvds..
The 50 dollar and up versions also have a USB port to play from
a jump drive, or from an external hard drive, as long as it's
Fat32 formatted.

Tony

Your dvd player must be at least 8 years old if it can't play a dvd made on a
computer. Use DVD-R discs instead of DVD+R blanks. The older dvd players won't
play DVD+R only DVD-R.

Artreid wrote:

> What is the best format to create DVD movies that might actually work when
> attempting to watch on TV?
>
> I am using Convert2DVD 4 to create DVD movies NTSC but when I attempt to
> watch them on TV I get nothing or a msg that states something like "No
> Video". I can play these movies fine on my computer.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
on the job for potty mouth,

the realm of understandability

Tony

Chuck i can for once honestly state the guy asking the question is as out to
lunch as you are.

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

manners

Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
on the job for potty mouth,

the realm of understandability

Me

"chuckcar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Artreid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:hgb4pu$hp1$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> What is the best format to create DVD movies that might actually work
>> when attempting to watch on TV?
>>
>> I am using Convert2DVD 4 to create DVD movies NTSC but when I attempt
>> to watch them on TV I get nothing or a msg that states something like
>> "No Video". I can play these movies fine on my computer.
>>

>" MPEG-1 compression for the video <snip>There is no other DVD standard. "

Actually the video inside DVD VOB files is MPEG2, not 1. You can use MPEG1
to make
Video CDs.

Me

"Artreid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hgb4pu$hp1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What is the best format to create DVD movies that might actually work when
> attempting to watch on TV?
>
> I am using Convert2DVD 4 to create DVD movies NTSC but when I attempt to
> watch them on TV I get nothing or a msg that states something like "No
> Video". I can play these movies fine on my computer.

If you are using MPEG4/DIVX files,you can Convert them to VOB files using
VSO DivX to DVD Converter. It creates VIDEO_TS folders which you can open
with DVD Shrink to create a DVD image which you can then burn to DVD.

Artreid

Tony,
Why is there always an individual like you in every NG? As intelligent as
you seem to be you, could be so much more effective assisting newbie's with
answers rather than sarcastic quips...

It seems a terrible waste.

Ya, and we know this will probably start an onslaught of follow-up responses
from you, That I nor anyone else should bother to respond to...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Chuck i can for once honestly state the guy asking the question is as out
> lunch as you are.
>
> chuckcar wrote:
>
>> "Artreid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:hgb4pu$hp1$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > What is the best format to create DVD movies that might actually work
>> > when attempting to watch on TV?
>> >
>> > I am using Convert2DVD 4 to create DVD movies NTSC but when I attempt
>> > to watch them on TV I get nothing or a msg that states something like
>> > "No Video". I can play these movies fine on my computer.
>> >

>> MPEG-1 compression for the video and pcm (wave) for the audio. Perhaps
>> ac3 would work for audio as well. There is no other DVD standard. Other
>> compression formats work on computers because you have the codecs for
>> decompression of others, but they then are no longer DVD's in the strict
>> sense.
>>
>> --
>> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

> --
> The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG
>
> Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city
>
> Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know
> proper
> manners
>
> Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first
> day
> on the job for potty mouth,
>
> Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!
>
> El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar
>
> Master Juba was a black man imitating a white man imitating a black man
>
> Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions
> beyond
> the realm of understandability
>
> Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

chuckcar

"Artreid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:hgh0df$5ij$(E-Mail Removed):

> Tony,
> Why is there always an individual like you in every NG? As intelligent
> as you seem to be you, could be so much more effective assisting
> newbie's with answers rather than sarcastic quips...
>
> It seems a terrible waste.
>
> Ya, and we know this will probably start an onslaught of follow-up
> to...

He's my own personal troll - has been for about ten years now. The up
side is that he's barely competent at it.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

chuckcar

~BD~ <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 18/12/2009 22:37, Artreid wrote:
>>
>> It seems a terrible waste.

> You are quite right, Artreid!
>
> There are lots of idiots here, but some very clever and helpful folk
> too.
>
> If you recall, 'twas me who suggested you ask in this group. (gulp!)
>
> I hope some of the comments made have been helpful, at least to some
> degree.

Well you don't get good advice with censorship. It's too easy to cut the
right advice because it doesn't come out all sanitary. Unfortunately it
too often comes down to the OP to decide who the nuts are in an
environment where they have no program or even credits listing the
players.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )