Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Home Network Troubles using Windows XP Network Setup Wizard

=?Utf-8?B?RHJlZA==?=

I have two XP machines, one desktop wired to a router which connects to
broadband, and another (a laptop) which wirelessly connects to the router.
I set
up the laptop to use the internet connection easily enough, but cannot seem to
get the two PCs to be able to access each other.

How do I go about doing this?

When I try to set up my home network, the Network Setup Wizard will not
allow me to designate my desktop (which is directly connected to the router)
as the host computer. When I select, "This computer connects directly to the
internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through
this computer," I get a message on the next screen that says, "Other
computers cannot connect to the internet through this computer. In addition
to it's internet connection this computer must have a connection to your
network."

I have searched all sources and cannot find the solution.

Can you help?

Jack

Hi
If you have a Router there is No need for a Host.
All network computers gets the Internet from the Router and it does not
matter if the computer is Wired, or Wireless.
If you have problems sharing LAN files this might help:
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Dred" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have two XP machines, one desktop wired to a router which connects to
> broadband, and another (a laptop) which wirelessly connects to the router.
> I set
> up the laptop to use the internet connection easily enough, but cannot

seem to
> get the two PCs to be able to access each other.
>
> How do I go about doing this?
>
> When I try to set up my home network, the Network Setup Wizard will not
> allow me to designate my desktop (which is directly connected to the

router)
> as the host computer. When I select, "This computer connects directly to

the
> internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet

through
> this computer," I get a message on the next screen that says, "Other
> computers cannot connect to the internet through this computer. In

addition
> to it's internet connection this computer must have a connection to your
> network."
>
> I have searched all sources and cannot find the solution.
>
> Can you help?

=?Utf-8?B?emFtYm9uaSBkdWRl?=

It sounds like I have the same set up, however i can get my desktop to access
the laptop but not the other way around. It keeps telling me that the laptop
doesn't have authorization to access this resource. Both computers have
exactly the same settings, i don't understand why one works and the other
doesn't.

"Dred" wrote:

> I have two XP machines, one desktop wired to a router which connects to
> broadband, and another (a laptop) which wirelessly connects to the router.
> I set
> up the laptop to use the internet connection easily enough, but cannot seem to
> get the two PCs to be able to access each other.
>
> How do I go about doing this?
>
> When I try to set up my home network, the Network Setup Wizard will not
> allow me to designate my desktop (which is directly connected to the router)
> as the host computer. When I select, "This computer connects directly to the
> internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through
> this computer," I get a message on the next screen that says, "Other
> computers cannot connect to the internet through this computer. In addition
> to it's internet connection this computer must have a connection to your
> network."
>
> I have searched all sources and cannot find the solution.
>
> Can you help?

=?Utf-8?B?RHJlZA==?=

I lowered the settings on my Zone Alarm Firewall and now have the same issue
as zamboni dude. Thanks for the help Jack.

Anybody have a solution to the problem that Zamboni and I have?

"zamboni dude" wrote:

> It sounds like I have the same set up, however i can get my desktop to access
> the laptop but not the other way around. It keeps telling me that the laptop
> doesn't have authorization to access this resource. Both computers have
> exactly the same settings, i don't understand why one works and the other
> doesn't.
>
> "Dred" wrote:
>
> > I have two XP machines, one desktop wired to a router which connects to
> > broadband, and another (a laptop) which wirelessly connects to the router.
> > I set
> > up the laptop to use the internet connection easily enough, but cannot seem to
> > get the two PCs to be able to access each other.
> >
> > How do I go about doing this?
> >
> > When I try to set up my home network, the Network Setup Wizard will not
> > allow me to designate my desktop (which is directly connected to the router)
> > as the host computer. When I select, "This computer connects directly to the
> > internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through
> > this computer," I get a message on the next screen that says, "Other
> > computers cannot connect to the internet through this computer. In addition
> > to it's internet connection this computer must have a connection to your
> > network."
> >
> > I have searched all sources and cannot find the solution.
> >
> > Can you help?

Colin

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 21:08:04 -0700, "Dred" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I lowered the settings on my Zone Alarm Firewall and now have the same issue
>as zamboni dude. Thanks for the help Jack.
>
>Anybody have a solution to the problem that Zamboni and I have?
>
>"zamboni dude" wrote:
>
>> It sounds like I have the same set up, however i can get my desktop to access
>> the laptop but not the other way around. It keeps telling me that the laptop
>> doesn't have authorization to access this resource. Both computers have
>> exactly the same settings, i don't understand why one works and the other
>> doesn't.
>>
>> "Dred" wrote:
>>
>> > I have two XP machines, one desktop wired to a router which connects to
>> > broadband, and another (a laptop) which wirelessly connects to the router.
>> > I set
>> > up the laptop to use the internet connection easily enough, but cannot seem to
>> > get the two PCs to be able to access each other.
>> >
>> > How do I go about doing this?
>> >
>> > When I try to set up my home network, the Network Setup Wizard will not
>> > allow me to designate my desktop (which is directly connected to the router)
>> > as the host computer. When I select, "This computer connects directly to the
>> > internet. The other computers on my network connect to the internet through
>> > this computer," I get a message on the next screen that says, "Other
>> > computers cannot connect to the internet through this computer. In addition
>> > to it's internet connection this computer must have a connection to your
>> > network."
>> >
>> > I have searched all sources and cannot find the solution.
>> >
>> > Can you help?

I also find this wireless setup amazingling obtuse. here is a freeware (for
home networks) that should setup secure wireless connections - the
www.lucilink.com product.

Warning: I havn't tired it and am looking for some feedback on whether it works
as advertised or is as difficult to use as the Micrsoft "tools".....

Colin

>www.lucilink.com product.
>
>Warning: I havn't tired it and am looking for some feedback on whether it works
>as advertised or is as difficult to use as the Micrsoft "tools".....

Typo: www.lucidlink.com
Sorry

Andrew C

Dred and Zamboni Dude,

on the computer that doesnt work, use this troubleshooter:
http://www.michna.com/kb/wxnet.htm it worked for me when i had the same
problem. but read the whole thing before uninstalling your firewall, you
dont have to.

Andrew