Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 Professional 64bit + Windows XP Mode 32bit: can I run 32-bitapplications with no 64-bit drivers?

Windows 7 Professional 64bit + Windows XP Mode 32bit: can I run 32-bitapplications with no 64-bit drivers?

Dan

hello,

Short question: Can I run 32-bit applications in Windows 7
professional's Windows XP Mode, even if there is no 64-bit driver
available? Does this actually mean that if an application ever ran in
Windows XP, there is absolutely no doubt that it will run on Windows 7
(either on Windows 7 64bit, or in the Windows XP Mode)?

I try to figure out if I can recommend a client to go to Windows 7
Professional in 64bit version, while he still has some older software
that might or might not have 64bit drivers.

The way I understand Windows XP mode is that it is running in a 32bit
Virtual PC. So, the issue of not having 64bit drivers for a certain
application is not really a problem, right? I just set the application
up to run in Windoes XP Mode. The application would appear to run like
any other native 64-bit application. Correct?
How difficult is this to set up? If I install a 32-bit application, will
it give me the option to have it setup in Windows XP Mode? Or are there
additional configuration steps necessary?

I've never seen this in Windoes 7 so far (in that sense, I'm a newbie).
I played around with VMWare on XP and Vista(also Windows 2003 server and
2008 server), and it has similar features. Though I have to install the
applications on the VMWare guest and then configure it to run as window
on the host. Kind of complicated for my client.

The clients environment includes applications that are pretty localized
to the Swiss market. At least, none of them can be found in teh Windows
7 compatibility center.

thanks for any pointer.

dan

Carlos

Dan,
32-bit applications installers will point to Windows 7 x64 without offering
you the choice of XP mode.
You have to install 32-bit apps inside the Virtual Machine (boot into
virtual xp and then install).
From my experience, some apps "publish" themselves in Windows 7 menues while
others not.
Those that publish themselves "out" of the VM can be run from Windows 7
without launching the VM.
Please note that Windows XP mode runs only in 16-bit color by design (no
24-bit or 32-bit).
Carlos

"Dan" wrote:

> hello,
>
> Short question: Can I run 32-bit applications in Windows 7
> professional's Windows XP Mode, even if there is no 64-bit driver
> available? Does this actually mean that if an application ever ran in
> Windows XP, there is absolutely no doubt that it will run on Windows 7
> (either on Windows 7 64bit, or in the Windows XP Mode)?
>

> I try to figure out if I can recommend a client to go to Windows 7
> Professional in 64bit version, while he still has some older software
> that might or might not have 64bit drivers.
>
> The way I understand Windows XP mode is that it is running in a 32bit
> Virtual PC. So, the issue of not having 64bit drivers for a certain
> application is not really a problem, right? I just set the application
> up to run in Windoes XP Mode. The application would appear to run like
> any other native 64-bit application. Correct?
> How difficult is this to set up? If I install a 32-bit application, will
> it give me the option to have it setup in Windows XP Mode? Or are there
> additional configuration steps necessary?
>
> I've never seen this in Windoes 7 so far (in that sense, I'm a newbie).
> I played around with VMWare on XP and Vista(also Windows 2003 server and
> 2008 server), and it has similar features. Though I have to install the
> applications on the VMWare guest and then configure it to run as window
> on the host. Kind of complicated for my client.
>
> The clients environment includes applications that are pretty localized
> to the Swiss market. At least, none of them can be found in teh Windows
> 7 compatibility center.
>
> thanks for any pointer.
>
> dan
> .

Dominic Payer

XP Mode runs in virtual hardware and only has access to USB and COM, but
not parallel, ports. It is useful for legacy applications which need
access to USB and serial port peripherals for which there are no 64-bit
drivers. If the application needs access to some other type of
peripheral it will not help.

XP Mode also needed if you have older programs with 16-bit components,
because there is no 16-bit sub-system in any 64-bit Windows.

Eventually, old programs will not work on new systems. A major upgrade
such as the transition to Windows 7 is an occasion to find exactly what
any program you are running needs, and to plan for its upgrade or
replacement in due course.

On 14/12/2009 16:13, Dan wrote:
> hello,
>
> Short question: Can I run 32-bit applications in Windows 7
> professional's Windows XP Mode, even if there is no 64-bit driver
> available? Does this actually mean that if an application ever ran in
> Windows XP, there is absolutely no doubt that it will run on Windows 7
> (either on Windows 7 64bit, or in the Windows XP Mode)?
>

> I try to figure out if I can recommend a client to go to Windows 7
> Professional in 64bit version, while he still has some older software
> that might or might not have 64bit drivers.
>
> The way I understand Windows XP mode is that it is running in a 32bit
> Virtual PC. So, the issue of not having 64bit drivers for a certain
> application is not really a problem, right? I just set the application
> up to run in Windoes XP Mode. The application would appear to run like
> any other native 64-bit application. Correct?
> How difficult is this to set up? If I install a 32-bit application, will
> it give me the option to have it setup in Windows XP Mode? Or are there
> additional configuration steps necessary?
>
> I've never seen this in Windoes 7 so far (in that sense, I'm a newbie).
> I played around with VMWare on XP and Vista(also Windows 2003 server and
> 2008 server), and it has similar features. Though I have to install the
> applications on the VMWare guest and then configure it to run as window
> on the host. Kind of complicated for my client.
>
> The clients environment includes applications that are pretty localized
> to the Swiss market. At least, none of them can be found in teh Windows
> 7 compatibility center.
>
> thanks for any pointer.
>
> dan

Richard Urban

Carlos,

If the programs installed in XP Mode do not publish automatically, make sure
that the programs shortcuts are in the All Users/Start Menu/Programs folder.
I have had to manually move them over from my personal account for some
programs that were designed for Win95/98.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dan,
> 32-bit applications installers will point to Windows 7 x64 without
> offering
> you the choice of XP mode.
> You have to install 32-bit apps inside the Virtual Machine (boot into
> virtual xp and then install).
> From my experience, some apps "publish" themselves in Windows 7 menues
> while
> others not.
> Those that publish themselves "out" of the VM can be run from Windows 7
> without launching the VM.
> Please note that Windows XP mode runs only in 16-bit color by design (no
> 24-bit or 32-bit).
> Carlos
>
> "Dan" wrote:
>
>> hello,
>>
>> Short question: Can I run 32-bit applications in Windows 7
>> professional's Windows XP Mode, even if there is no 64-bit driver
>> available? Does this actually mean that if an application ever ran in
>> Windows XP, there is absolutely no doubt that it will run on Windows 7
>> (either on Windows 7 64bit, or in the Windows XP Mode)?
>>

>> I try to figure out if I can recommend a client to go to Windows 7
>> Professional in 64bit version, while he still has some older software
>> that might or might not have 64bit drivers.
>>
>> The way I understand Windows XP mode is that it is running in a 32bit
>> Virtual PC. So, the issue of not having 64bit drivers for a certain
>> application is not really a problem, right? I just set the application
>> up to run in Windoes XP Mode. The application would appear to run like
>> any other native 64-bit application. Correct?
>> How difficult is this to set up? If I install a 32-bit application, will
>> it give me the option to have it setup in Windows XP Mode? Or are there
>> additional configuration steps necessary?
>>
>> I've never seen this in Windoes 7 so far (in that sense, I'm a newbie).
>> I played around with VMWare on XP and Vista(also Windows 2003 server and
>> 2008 server), and it has similar features. Though I have to install the
>> applications on the VMWare guest and then configure it to run as window
>> on the host. Kind of complicated for my client.
>>
>> The clients environment includes applications that are pretty localized
>> to the Swiss market. At least, none of them can be found in teh Windows
>> 7 compatibility center.
>>
>> thanks for any pointer.
>>
>> dan
>> .

Dan

Thanks everybody who answered. You all gave me important input.
With those hints I was able to dig deeper into the documentation found
on the internet. I concluded that I will first test Windows 7 64bit over
a time. I will recommend the client to go with 32bit until I have more
practical experience.

Thanks again
Dan

Carlos

Richard,
Thanks for the tip!
Carlos

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> Carlos,
>
> If the programs installed in XP Mode do not publish automatically, make sure
> that the programs shortcuts are in the All Users/Start Menu/Programs folder.
> I have had to manually move them over from my personal account for some
> programs that were designed for Win95/98.
>
> --
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Desktop Experience & Security

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dan,
> > 32-bit applications installers will point to Windows 7 x64 without
> > offering
> > you the choice of XP mode.
> > You have to install 32-bit apps inside the Virtual Machine (boot into
> > virtual xp and then install).
> > From my experience, some apps "publish" themselves in Windows 7 menues
> > while
> > others not.
> > Those that publish themselves "out" of the VM can be run from Windows 7
> > without launching the VM.
> > Please note that Windows XP mode runs only in 16-bit color by design (no
> > 24-bit or 32-bit).
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Dan" wrote:
> >
> >> hello,
> >>
> >> Short question: Can I run 32-bit applications in Windows 7
> >> professional's Windows XP Mode, even if there is no 64-bit driver
> >> available? Does this actually mean that if an application ever ran in
> >> Windows XP, there is absolutely no doubt that it will run on Windows 7
> >> (either on Windows 7 64bit, or in the Windows XP Mode)?
> >>

> >> I try to figure out if I can recommend a client to go to Windows 7
> >> Professional in 64bit version, while he still has some older software
> >> that might or might not have 64bit drivers.
> >>
> >> The way I understand Windows XP mode is that it is running in a 32bit
> >> Virtual PC. So, the issue of not having 64bit drivers for a certain
> >> application is not really a problem, right? I just set the application
> >> up to run in Windoes XP Mode. The application would appear to run like
> >> any other native 64-bit application. Correct?
> >> How difficult is this to set up? If I install a 32-bit application, will
> >> it give me the option to have it setup in Windows XP Mode? Or are there
> >> additional configuration steps necessary?
> >>
> >> I've never seen this in Windoes 7 so far (in that sense, I'm a newbie).
> >> I played around with VMWare on XP and Vista(also Windows 2003 server and
> >> 2008 server), and it has similar features. Though I have to install the
> >> applications on the VMWare guest and then configure it to run as window
> >> on the host. Kind of complicated for my client.
> >>
> >> The clients environment includes applications that are pretty localized
> >> to the Swiss market. At least, none of them can be found in teh Windows
> >> 7 compatibility center.
> >>
> >> thanks for any pointer.
> >>
> >> dan
> >> .
> >>

> .

RICHYIII

I have a question regarding Windows Virtual Machine: Win XP mode:
I have a 32 bit application (Corsix Mod Studio) that ran fine in 32 bit
Vista. I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (halaluia) 64 bit. Now
i get an error that files are missing when i start Corsix Mod Studio. If i
install XP mode 32 bit with Windows Virtual Machine, will I be able to use
this program again???

Thanks,

RichyIII

"Dan" wrote:

> Thanks everybody who answered. You all gave me important input.
> With those hints I was able to dig deeper into the documentation found
> on the internet. I concluded that I will first test Windows 7 64bit over
> a time. I will recommend the client to go with 32bit until I have more
> practical experience.
>
> Thanks again
> Dan
>
> .

Dan

I did some testing in teh meantime and I have, so far, not found any
software that would not run in Win XP Mode (if it worked fine in XP before).

The only issue I've had was that Win XP Mode would not get an IP address
from my DHCP server. I finally gave up and assigned a fixed address.

dan

On 03.01.2010 01:47, RICHYIII wrote:
> I have a question regarding Windows Virtual Machine: Win XP mode:
> I have a 32 bit application (Corsix Mod Studio) that ran fine in 32 bit
> Vista. I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (halaluia) 64 bit. Now
> i get an error that files are missing when i start Corsix Mod Studio. If i
> install XP mode 32 bit with Windows Virtual Machine, will I be able to use
> this program again???
>
> Thanks,
>
> RichyIII
>

> "Dan" wrote:
>
>> Thanks everybody who answered. You all gave me important input.
>> With those hints I was able to dig deeper into the documentation found
>> on the internet. I concluded that I will first test Windows 7 64bit over
>> a time. I will recommend the client to go with 32bit until I have more
>> practical experience.
>>
>> Thanks again
>> Dan
>>
>> .

Bobby Johnson

You should be able to use Virtual XP to run the program.

Most of the time when you get errors that files are missing when running
an older program on 64-bit Windows it's because the program is looking
for it's support files and they're not where the program is looking for
them.

On 2010-01-02 19:47, RICHYIII wrote:
> I have a question regarding Windows Virtual Machine: Win XP mode:
> I have a 32 bit application (Corsix Mod Studio) that ran fine in 32 bit
> Vista. I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate (halaluia) 64 bit. Now
> i get an error that files are missing when i start Corsix Mod Studio. If i
> install XP mode 32 bit with Windows Virtual Machine, will I be able to use
> this program again???
>
> Thanks,
>
> RichyIII

RobotBrian