Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vodafone usb stick stopped working-help

Vodafone usb stick stopped working-help

raycnz

Model K3565-Z. The white modern version.

The $99.00 version worked fine for 3 weeks.

Then Microsoft installed an automatic update to the laptop
and from then on it will not run.

When I plug it in and install the latest update at mobilenetworks
..co.nz I get an error when Vista home Premium attempts to start
the service.

I get "VMCService stopped working and was closed"

I has never worked since.

I have had an MS support guy take control of the laptop for
an hour with no fix forthcoming.

All Vodafone can help with is the new software site and do
not use the lite version that comes with the stick.

Any one out there had the problem and found a cure

Thanks

Donchano

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:30:28 +1300, "raycnz"
<(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
..

>Any one out there had the problem and found a cure

I would help to know what Windows OS you're using.

PeeCee

"raycnz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cQUUm.148615$(E-Mail Removed)1.easynews.com...
> Model K3565-Z. The white modern version.
>
> The $99.00 version worked fine for 3 weeks.
>
> Then Microsoft installed an automatic update to the laptop
> and from then on it will not run.
>
> When I plug it in and install the latest update at mobilenetworks
> .co.nz I get an error when Vista home Premium attempts to start
> the service.
>
> I get "VMCService stopped working and was closed"
>
> I has never worked since.
>
> I have had an MS support guy take control of the laptop for
> an hour with no fix forthcoming.
>
> All Vodafone can help with is the new software site and do
> not use the lite version that comes with the stick.
>
> Any one out there had the problem and found a cure
>
> Thanks

FWIW I had a laptop in here last week that wouldn't log on to the Vodafone
network.
The owner had left it at the local Vodafone shop for a day and was told the
problem was the Laptop needed 'Upgrading"
In the end uninstalling the software and reinstalling with the AntiVirus and
Firewall 'off' was successfull.
So much for the 'experts' at the Vodafone shop, the 'upgrading' ploy was
just a fob off.

In your case the MS update 'may' have not quite installed correctly.
I would try the following:
1 Uninstall whatever Vodem software is installed and remove the USB Vodem.
2 Roll back Vista to 'before' the troublesome update (start, accessories,
system tools, system restore) & reboot.
3 Disable your AntiVirus (the real time component)
4 Reapply the Vista Update & reboot, disable the AntiVirus again if it has
renabled itself.
5 Plug in the Vodem and install the software.
6 If successfull reactivate your AntiVirus.

Best
Paul.

raycnz

"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:30:28 +1300, "raycnz"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
> .
>>
>>Any one out there had the problem and found a cure

> I would help to know what Windows OS you're using.

Vista home premium with all updates.

Gordon

On 2009-12-12, Donchano <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:30:28 +1300, "raycnz"
><(E-Mail Removed)> shouted from the highest rooftop:
> .
>>
>>Any one out there had the problem and found a cure

> I would help to know what Windows OS you're using.

Which version. Note not a question