Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can I use Movie Maker XP with Win-7?

Can I use Movie Maker XP with Win-7?

MikeC

Folks

I used Movie maker quite a bit with XP, but my home system crashed and I
replaced it with a Windows-7 laptop.
I downloaded Movie Maker for Win-7, but it takes away a huge amount that the
XP version could do, and did not work properly (sound from clip 3 appearing
in clip 2, picture keeps freezing, etc).
I would like to use the one I was using before, but the download site says I
must turn on automatic update and that will do it - but I don't want the one
offered with Windows-7 (which is what I'll get with auto-update) - I want
the one that runs normally under XP.

I suppose it will work - I loaded my copy of Office 2000 on Win-7, and that
works fine.

Thanks,

MikeC.

R. C. White

Hi, Mike.

Movie Maker in Win7 is/was quite limited. Have you tried Windows Live Movie
Maker? It's much more capable - and it's one of the Windows Live Essentials
which you can download for free at http://download.live.com

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eJHFj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks
>
> I used Movie maker quite a bit with XP, but my home system crashed and I
> replaced it with a Windows-7 laptop.
> I downloaded Movie Maker for Win-7, but it takes away a huge amount that
> the XP version could do, and did not work properly (sound from clip 3
> appearing in clip 2, picture keeps freezing, etc).
> I would like to use the one I was using before, but the download site says
> I must turn on automatic update and that will do it - but I don't want the
> one offered with Windows-7 (which is what I'll get with auto-update) - I
> want the one that runs normally under XP.
>
> I suppose it will work - I loaded my copy of Office 2000 on Win-7, and
> that works fine.
>
> Thanks,
>
> MikeC.

MikeC

Thanks a million. I didn't know about the Live Movie Maker. I'll download
it and give it a go.

Cheers,
MikeC

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Mike.
>
> Movie Maker in Win7 is/was quite limited. Have you tried Windows Live
> Movie Maker? It's much more capable - and it's one of the Windows Live
> Essentials which you can download for free at http://download.live.com
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eJHFj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Folks
>>
>> I used Movie maker quite a bit with XP, but my home system crashed and I
>> replaced it with a Windows-7 laptop.
>> I downloaded Movie Maker for Win-7, but it takes away a huge amount that
>> the XP version could do, and did not work properly (sound from clip 3
>> appearing in clip 2, picture keeps freezing, etc).
>> I would like to use the one I was using before, but the download site
>> says I must turn on automatic update and that will do it - but I don't
>> want the one offered with Windows-7 (which is what I'll get with
>> auto-update) - I want the one that runs normally under XP.
>>
>> I suppose it will work - I loaded my copy of Office 2000 on Win-7, and
>> that works fine.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> MikeC.

MikeC

Thanks for the advice, but I downloaded Live Movie Maker, and it turned out
to be the one I had already rejected because it doesn't work properly on my
PC. It doesn't have an audio editing line, and the results are really poor.
If I simply stick clips together, it does that OK, but if I use a transition
between the clips, it screws up the sound, and patches it into the wrong
places in the movie.

The previous editor with XP worked fine and had more editing capabilities.
I used it several times to edit sound-only tracks, with no video involved,
and it was very useful for that.
Problem is that the only way I know of getting it is through Update on an XP
machine, but my present machine runs Windows-7. Isn't there a way of
getting this software?

It looked very much like Open Movie Editor at
http://www.openmovieeditor.org/ -but unfortunately, this software only runs
on Linux.
It looks like an almost good enough reason to try Linux, but if I can get
the older MS Movie Maker going, that will be easier.

MikeC

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Mike.
>
> Movie Maker in Win7 is/was quite limited. Have you tried Windows Live
> Movie Maker? It's much more capable - and it's one of the Windows Live
> Essentials which you can download for free at http://download.live.com
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eJHFj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Folks
>>
>> I used Movie maker quite a bit with XP, but my home system crashed and I
>> replaced it with a Windows-7 laptop.
>> I downloaded Movie Maker for Win-7, but it takes away a huge amount that
>> the XP version could do, and did not work properly (sound from clip 3
>> appearing in clip 2, picture keeps freezing, etc).
>> I would like to use the one I was using before, but the download site
>> says I must turn on automatic update and that will do it - but I don't
>> want the one offered with Windows-7 (which is what I'll get with
>> auto-update) - I want the one that runs normally under XP.
>>
>> I suppose it will work - I loaded my copy of Office 2000 on Win-7, and
>> that works fine.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> MikeC.

R. C. White

Hi, Mike.

Sorry if I steered you wrong. I should have mentioned that I am a rank
amateur at Movie Maker. I've done a couple of easy projects with it -
mostly just editing out commercials from some captured TV - but nothing the
least bit fancy or professional. Since this is a 64-bit newsgroup, is this
a 32-bit v. 64-bit question?

Good luck. And if you find something useful, please post back for the
benefit of others.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(E-Mail Removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP

"MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the advice, but I downloaded Live Movie Maker, and it turned
> out to be the one I had already rejected because it doesn't work properly
> on my PC. It doesn't have an audio editing line, and the results are
> really poor. If I simply stick clips together, it does that OK, but if I
> use a transition between the clips, it screws up the sound, and patches it
> into the wrong places in the movie.
>
> The previous editor with XP worked fine and had more editing capabilities.
> I used it several times to edit sound-only tracks, with no video
> involved, and it was very useful for that.
> Problem is that the only way I know of getting it is through Update on an
> XP machine, but my present machine runs Windows-7. Isn't there a way of
> getting this software?
>
> It looked very much like Open Movie Editor at
> http://www.openmovieeditor.org/ -but unfortunately, this software only
> runs on Linux.
> It looks like an almost good enough reason to try Linux, but if I can get
> the older MS Movie Maker going, that will be easier.
>
> MikeC
>
> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Mike.
>>
>> Movie Maker in Win7 is/was quite limited. Have you tried Windows Live
>> Movie Maker? It's much more capable - and it's one of the Windows Live
>> Essentials which you can download for free at http://download.live.com
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eJHFj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> I used Movie maker quite a bit with XP, but my home system crashed and I
>>> replaced it with a Windows-7 laptop.
>>> I downloaded Movie Maker for Win-7, but it takes away a huge amount that
>>> the XP version could do, and did not work properly (sound from clip 3
>>> appearing in clip 2, picture keeps freezing, etc).
>>> I would like to use the one I was using before, but the download site
>>> says I must turn on automatic update and that will do it - but I don't
>>> want the one offered with Windows-7 (which is what I'll get with
>>> auto-update) - I want the one that runs normally under XP.
>>>
>>> I suppose it will work - I loaded my copy of Office 2000 on Win-7, and
>>> that works fine.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> MikeC.

Thomas Scheidegger

Hi Mike

> The previous editor with XP worked fine and had more editing capabilities.

yes, Windows Live Movie Maker is cripple-ware IMHO.

To get back some of the functionalities (and new problems),
one could copy an installation of Movie Maker 2.1 from XP SP2/3 to Windows 7
(incl. x64)
and have to register some DLLs:
http://www.brighthub.com/multimedia/...les/25282.aspx
http://www.papajohn.org/

--
Thomas Scheidegger - 'NETMaster'
http://dnetmaster.net/

MikeC

Thanks RC. My current PC has a 64-bit AMD chip, but of course, like other
64-bit machines, it runs 32-bit apps. I wrote to this group because I can't
make the Windows-7 Movie Maker work properly, and hoped somebody could tell
me how to get the old 32-bit version onto my Win-7 machine.

MikeC

> Sorry if I steered you wrong. I should have mentioned that I am a rank
> amateur at Movie Maker. I've done a couple of easy projects with it -
> mostly just editing out commercials from some captured TV - but nothing
> the least bit fancy or professional. Since this is a 64-bit newsgroup, is
> this a 32-bit v. 64-bit question?
>
> Good luck. And if you find something useful, please post back for the
> benefit of others.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks for the advice, but I downloaded Live Movie Maker, and it turned
>> out to be the one I had already rejected because it doesn't work properly
>> on my PC. It doesn't have an audio editing line, and the results are
>> really poor. If I simply stick clips together, it does that OK, but if I
>> use a transition between the clips, it screws up the sound, and patches
>> it into the wrong places in the movie.
>>
>> The previous editor with XP worked fine and had more editing
>> capabilities. I used it several times to edit sound-only tracks, with no
>> video involved, and it was very useful for that.
>> Problem is that the only way I know of getting it is through Update on an
>> XP machine, but my present machine runs Windows-7. Isn't there a way of
>> getting this software?
>>
>> It looked very much like Open Movie Editor at
>> http://www.openmovieeditor.org/ -but unfortunately, this software only
>> runs on Linux.
>> It looks like an almost good enough reason to try Linux, but if I can get
>> the older MS Movie Maker going, that will be easier.
>>
>> MikeC
>>
>> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi, Mike.
>>>
>>> Movie Maker in Win7 is/was quite limited. Have you tried Windows Live
>>> Movie Maker? It's much more capable - and it's one of the Windows Live
>>> Essentials which you can download for free at http://download.live.com
>>>
>>> RC
>>>
>>> "MikeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:eJHFj$(E-Mail Removed)...

MikeC

Thanks a lot, Thomas, I'll give this a go and see where it gets me.

All of the Best,
MikeC

news:eooO3$(E-Mail Removed)...