Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Who Needs Ultrathins?

Who Needs Ultrathins?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

So they’re not selling well. Why is that a big surprise? What problem does
thinness solve that customers need to be solved?

<http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1565642/acer-blames-dell-hp-poor-ultra-notebook-sales>

victor

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> So they’re not selling well. Why is that a big surprise? What problem does
> thinness solve that customers need to be solved?

Dell have just released the Vostro V13 for precisely this market.
Your link is out of date.

-Newsman-

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:24:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:

>So they’re not selling well. Why is that a big surprise? What problem does
>thinness solve that customers need to be solved?

It's the widespread and surpassingly inane "Solutions Syndrome": the
inculcated notion that defines Crass and suggests that Little You are
helpless in the face of all the challenges the modern world burdens
you with: So, "We are here to help you (and to rip you off if we can
while we're at it)"

It goes something like - You, the customer, invariably "have a
problem", so you are in need of a banking solution, a decorating
solution, a plumbing solution, a deep-frying solution - you name it.
Panel vans scuttle around New Zealand with "XXX... Solutions"
emblazoned on their paintwork; knights in shining armour, all togged
up in singlets that show off their smelly armpit fuzz and shorts
tailored in China for a five year-old anorexic.

I know it's daft, but the people this snake oil junk are aimed at are
even dafter. They fall for it.

It's not generally known that the NCEA was introduced as a critical
"Education Solution". More recently word is that an "Increased
Labour-Productivity Solution" is about to be sought by Key and his
mob.

Until this arrives, is implemented and the OECD numbers show it's
working, the best and wisest course of action for everyone is the
traditional "Don't Hold Your Breath Solution".

JohnO

On Feb 20, 7:22*pm, (E-Mail Removed) (-Newsman-) wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:24:29 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)_zealand> wrote:
> >So theyre not selling well. Why is that a big surprise? What problem does
> >thinness solve that customers need to be solved?

> It's the widespread and surpassingly inane "Solutions Syndrome": the
> inculcated notion that defines Crass and suggests that Little You are
> helpless in the face of all the challenges the modern world burdens
> you with: *So, "We are here to help you (and to rip you off if we can
> while we're at it)"
>
> It goes something like - You, the customer, invariably "have a
> problem", so you are in need of a banking solution, a decorating
> solution, a plumbing solution, a deep-frying solution - you name it.
> Panel vans scuttle around New Zealand with "XXX... Solutions"
> emblazoned on their paintwork; knights in shining armour, all togged
> up in singlets that show off their smelly armpit fuzz and shorts
> tailored in China for a five year-old anorexic.
>
> I know it's daft, but the people this snake oil junk are aimed at are
> even dafter. *They fall for it.
>
> It's not generally known that the NCEA was introduced as a critical
> "Education Solution". More recently word is that an "Increased
> Labour-Productivity Solution" is about to be sought by Key and his
> mob.
>
> Until this arrives, is implemented and the OECD numbers show it's
> working, the best and wisest course of action for everyone is the
> traditional "Don't Hold Your Breath Solution".

LOL! You reminded me of my dear but recently departed father-in-law.
He just hated business names ending in 'solutions' which was always
fun because my own business (providing IT services) really was
'solutions' even if it's not part of its name.

I think Apple Computer are the absolute masters of providing
'solutions' to 'problems' people never realised they had. The iPhone
is a classic case. I am interested to see if the iPad proves as
successful. I can't for the life of me see what if could be the
'solution' for either.