Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > pyZui - anyone know about this?

pyZui - anyone know about this?

Donn

Hi,
I happened upon this youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57nWm984wdY
It fairly blew my socks off. In it a fellow by the name of David Roberts demos
a zui written in Python. Aside from the zooming (which is impressive enough)
it show embedding of images, pdf files, web pages and text.

He says nothing about what toolkits were used or how it might have been done.
It's Linux-based, but no other info. On some googling, I can only find a few
bug reports on pypi related to pyQt. I would really like to find out how that
ZUI was done, it's simply amazing.

Any clues out there?

\d
--
\/\/ave: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/

David Boddie

On Friday 11 December 2009 05:41, Donn wrote:

> I happened upon this youtube link:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57nWm984wdY
> It fairly blew my socks off. In it a fellow by the name of David Roberts
> demos a zui written in Python. Aside from the zooming (which is impressive
> enough) it show embedding of images, pdf files, web pages and text.
>
> He says nothing about what toolkits were used or how it might have been
> done. It's Linux-based, but no other info. On some googling, I can only
> find a few bug reports on pypi related to pyQt. I would really like to
> find out how that ZUI was done, it's simply amazing.
>
> Any clues out there?

Doesn't the author give his e-mail address at the end of the video?
(Maybe I'm thinking of a different video.)

David

Donn

On Monday 14 December 2009 00:10:52 David Boddie wrote:
> Doesn't the author give his e-mail address at the end of the video?
> (Maybe I'm thinking of a different video.)

Yes, in a quick and garbled way I have yet to try to contact the author or
the youtube poster -- been too busy.

I was hoping someone on the list may recognize what tools he was using, or
have some insight into how they would attack the problem.
I have pondered it from a wxPython pov, that being all I am experienced with
and I would have no chance of recreating that demo. Is it using some kind of
built-in QT/KDE voodoo?

\d
--
\/\/ave: (E-Mail Removed)
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
2D vector animation : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/
Font manager : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fontypython/

geremy condra

might be related to this: http://code.google.com/p/rchi-zui/

geremy condra

Rami Chowdhury

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:02, Donn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Monday 14 December 2009 00:10:52 David Boddie wrote:
>> Doesn't the author give his e-mail address at the end of the video?
>> (Maybe I'm thinking of a different video.)
>>

> Yes, in a quick and garbled way I have yet to try to contact the author or
> the youtube poster -- been too busy.
>
> I was hoping someone on the list may recognize what tools he was using, or
> have some insight into how they would attack the problem.
> I have pondered it from a wxPython pov, that being all I am experienced with
> and I would have no chance of recreating that demo. Is it using some kind of
> built-in QT/KDE voodoo?

Doesn't look like he's using KDE -- the filemanager he's using to
choose images looks rather like Nautilus.

I know KDE 4's Plasma framework has a ZUI and pretty good Python
bindings, but I know very little about them other than that they
exist.

--------
Rami Chowdhury
"Never assume malice when stupidity will suffice." -- Hanlon's Razor
408-597-7068 (US) / 07875-841-046 (UK) / 0189-245544 (BD)

David Boddie

On Monday 14 December 2009 20:02, Donn wrote:

> On Monday 14 December 2009 00:10:52 David Boddie wrote:
>> Doesn't the author give his e-mail address at the end of the video?
>> (Maybe I'm thinking of a different video.)
>>

> Yes, in a quick and garbled way I have yet to try to contact the author
> or the youtube poster -- been too busy.

I managed to catch his address and sent him a message saying that people
were discussing PyZUI in this thread.

David

Donn

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 01:43:52 David Boddie wrote:
> I managed to catch his address and sent him a message saying that people
> were discussing PyZUI in this thread.

Oooh. Sits,fidgets and waits. I want my socks back! (OP)

\d
--
\/\/ave: (E-Mail Removed)
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
2D vector animation : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/
Font manager : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fontypython/

David Roberts

Hi,

Yes, the toolkit used is PyQt. The ZUI is implemented using a simple
QPainter, and employs pyramidal tiling for efficiency (I haven't used
any Qt/KDE voodoo in this regard). I'm using Gnome at the moment, but
it should work just as well on KDE. Web pages are rendered using
QtWebKit, and PDF with the pdftoppm utility.

The project is opensource (GPLv2), but just hasn't been published
yet . I'll try to make a release over the next few days, and I'll
post a link here when I do.

--
David Roberts
http://da.vidr.cc/

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 04:29:39 David Roberts wrote:
> Yes, the toolkit used is PyQt.

\me makes note to start learning PyQt asap.

> and employs pyramidal tiling for efficiency

\me ... time to hit Wikipedia

> (I haven't used any Qt/KDE voodoo in this regard).

Imho, your code should *become* that voodoo -- from what I saw in that vid
it's unique and has such promise.

> QtWebKit, and PDF with the pdftoppm utility.

Ah, thanks.

> The project is opensource (GPLv2), but just hasn't been published
> yet . I'll try to make a release over the next few days, and I'll
> post a link here when I do.

Can't wait.

David, thanks for replying here on the list. Well done on your pyZui and I
hope it catches fire in people's imaginations. I think that fire may explain why
my socks are missing!

\d
--
\/\/ave: (E-Mail Removed)

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 11:12:21 Martijn Arts wrote:
> You could do some really awesome stuff with that! I love the webpage
> example where you zoom in on the exclamation mark and there's a new page.

It is very cool, but I would inject a note of caution here: I'd a hate a zui
to become a case of "hunt-the-zoom." A link is a link. They already work very
well, click and it goes to the page.
I find the notion of minute "hot" areas to be a little obscure -- Quick! Zoom
into the last full-stop, it's a whole word in there!
What I would enjoy is when you click a link - it zooms into the sub-page so
you get a feeling of traversal. Back buttons would zoom out again. Add to that
a kind of birds'-eye view of one's history (like a thumbnails node-graph of
some kind) and it would be perfect!

\d
--
\/\/ave: (E-Mail Removed)