Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > pyZui - anyone know about this?

pyZui - anyone know about this?

Daniel Fetchinson

>> /home/fetchinson/pyzui/pyzui/tilestore.py:22: DeprecationWarning: the
>> sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
>> import sha

> Yeah, I'd noticed that. It's fixed in the repository now.

Great, thanks, pulled it and all looks good.

Cheers,
Daniel

>> > PyZUI 0.1 has been released:

>> >http://da.vidr.cc/projects/pyzui/

>> Cool, thanks very much!
>>
>> I'm using python 2.6 these days and noticed that you use the sha
>> module which makes py2.6 spit out a deprecation warning:
>>
>> /home/fetchinson/pyzui/pyzui/tilestore.py:22: DeprecationWarning: the
>> sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
>> import sha
>>
>> It's no big deal but if you want to be future proof maybe you can
>> switch to hashlib for py2.6 and stay with sha for py2.5 and before (a
>> try/except block would suffice).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Daniel
>>
>> --
>> Psss, psss, put it down! -http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown

Terry Reedy

On 12/17/2009 2:14 AM, Donn wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 December 2009 07:03:19 David Roberts wrote:
>> It involves scaling an image to various resolutions, and partitioning
>> them into fixed-size tiles. It's roughly the same technique used by
>> Google Maps/Earth.

> Thanks. That gives me something to go on. Wikipedia didn't like my search
> terms.
>
>>> ZUIs are useful for particular types of data - images& mapping
>>> especially - but I'd hate to have to navigate my desktop using its
>>> approach.

> Ever since Corel Draw in the 90's zoomed into my life I have been in love with
> the idea of an endless canvas that makes me feel like a satellite on a bungee
> cord. I think it would fit the desktop very well.
>
> Personally I see a merging of normal app windows and a zui: some kind of new
> window manager.

The original idea, perhaps, was from Jef Raskin in The Human Interface.
Wikipedia has articles on both. His idea was for a document rather than
app centric plain. Not clear how one would pipe data from app to app in
his model, though.

tjr

Donn

On Thursday 17 December 2009 19:46:41 Terry Reedy wrote:
> His idea was for a document rather than
> app centric plain.

These days I find the notion of monolithic apps to be a pita.
The concept of many small black boxes (but open source) that each do a single
job and pipe in/out is so much more powerful. I don't see why everything in a
gui and down can't be such a box. Then we get to wire them together as needed.
We'd still have 'big apps' but they would be constructed more loosely and we
could adapt them to fit real life needs.

I dunno. I think big apps are dinosaurs. As much as I love Inkscape and
Blender and others, they are all islands with vast gulfs between them.

And let's have Python glue them all together!

> Not clear how one would pipe data from app to app in
> his model, though.

The picture I have of it is illustrated by Blender's material node system.
have a look at this pic:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es_Blender.PNG
Just a mental jump-off point. Think bash meets zui with a Python driving.

\d

--
\/\/ave: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/