Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > pyZui - anyone know about this?

pyZui - anyone know about this?

alex23

Donn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I find the notion of minute "hot" areas to be a little obscure -- Quick! Zoom
> into the last full-stop, it's a whole word in there!

This aspect reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode "Back to Reality", in
which Rimmer is criticised for not finding information contained in a
microdot hidden in the dot on the 'i' of his name on a swimming
certificate.

ZUIs are useful for particular types of data - images & mapping
especially - but I'd hate to have to navigate my desktop using its
approach.

David Roberts

> > and employs pyramidal tiling for efficiency
>
> \me ... time to hit Wikipedia

It involves scaling an image to various resolutions, and partitioning
them into fixed-size tiles. It's roughly the same technique used by
Google Maps/Earth.

> It is very cool, but I would inject a note of caution here: I'd a hate a zui
> to become a case of "hunt-the-zoom." A link is a link. They already work very
> well, click and it goes to the page.
> I find the notion of minute "hot" areas to be a little obscure -- Quick! Zoom
> into the last full-stop, it's a whole word in there!
> What I would enjoy is when you click a link - it zooms into the sub-page so
> you get a feeling of traversal. Back buttons would zoom out again. Add to that
> a kind of birds'-eye view of one's history (like a thumbnails node-graph of
> some kind) and it would be perfect!

Sure, it was just a quick mockup of a potential application. A proper
implementation would probably have more sophisticated features such as
that.

> This aspect reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode "Back to Reality", in
> which Rimmer is criticised for not finding information contained in a
> microdot hidden in the dot on the 'i' of his name on a swimming
> certificate.

Haha, true.

> ZUIs are useful for particular types of data - images & mapping
> especially - but I'd hate to have to navigate my desktop using its
> approach.

Obviously there will be some applications that suit more traditional
GUIs better than ZUIs, just like there's plenty of applications more
suited to the command-line than a GUI. After all, things such as the
web and the desktop metaphor came into being long before ZUIs.

On Dec 16, 1:09*pm, alex23 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Donn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I find the notion of minute "hot" areas to be a little obscure -- Quick! Zoom
> > into the last full-stop, it's a whole word in there!

> This aspect reminds me of the Red Dwarf episode "Back to Reality", in
> which Rimmer is criticised for not finding information contained in a
> microdot hidden in the dot on the 'i' of his name on a swimming
> certificate.
>
> ZUIs are useful for particular types of data - images & mapping
> especially - but I'd hate to have to navigate my desktop using its
> approach.

David Roberts

PyZUI 0.1 has been released:

http://da.vidr.cc/projects/pyzui/

On Dec 15, 12:29*pm, David Roberts <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, the toolkit used is PyQt. The ZUI is implemented using a simple
> QPainter, and employs pyramidal tiling for efficiency (I haven't used
> any Qt/KDE voodoo in this regard). I'm using Gnome at the moment, but
> it should work just as well on KDE. Web pages are rendered using
> QtWebKit, and PDF with the pdftoppm utility.
>
> The project is opensource (GPLv2), but just hasn't been published
> yet . I'll try to make a release over the next few days, and I'll
> post a link here when I do.
>
> --
> David Robertshttp://da.vidr.cc/
>
> On Dec 15, 10:33*am, Donn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Tuesday 15 December 2009 01:43:52 David Boddie wrote:> I managed to catch his address and sent him a message saying that people
> > > were discussing PyZUI in this thread.

> > Oooh. Sits,fidgets and waits. I want my socks back! (OP)

> > \d
> > --
> > \/\/ave: (E-Mail Removed)
> > home:http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
> > 2D vector animation :https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/
> > Font manager :https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fontypython/

Daniel Fetchinson

> PyZUI 0.1 has been released:
>
> http://da.vidr.cc/projects/pyzui/

Cool, thanks very much!

I'm using python 2.6 these days and noticed that you use the sha
module which makes py2.6 spit out a deprecation warning:

/home/fetchinson/pyzui/pyzui/tilestore.py:22: DeprecationWarning: the
sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
import sha

It's no big deal but if you want to be future proof maybe you can
switch to hashlib for py2.6 and stay with sha for py2.5 and before (a
try/except block would suffice).

Cheers,
Daniel

r0g

David Roberts wrote:
> PyZUI 0.1 has been released:
>
> http://da.vidr.cc/projects/pyzui/

Cool, thanks

Roger.

Donn

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 09:42:14 David Roberts wrote:
> PyZUI 0.1 has been released:

Magic! Grabbed a tarball yesterday.

\d
--
\/\/ave: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 07:03:19 David Roberts wrote:
> It involves scaling an image to various resolutions, and partitioning
> them into fixed-size tiles. It's roughly the same technique used by
> Google Maps/Earth.

Thanks. That gives me something to go on. Wikipedia didn't like my search
terms.

> > ZUIs are useful for particular types of data - images & mapping
> > especially - but I'd hate to have to navigate my desktop using its
> > approach.

Ever since Corel Draw in the 90's zoomed into my life I have been in love with
the idea of an endless canvas that makes me feel like a satellite on a bungee
cord. I think it would fit the desktop very well.

Personally I see a merging of normal app windows and a zui: some kind of new
window manager.
If I planned it out it would look something like this:
Your apps all run as they do now*, but they live on this endless plain.
Perhaps it can be divided up into 'zones' or 'galaxies' or something. I would
have a 'hyperspace' or 'hyperlink' or 'jump' facility (like alt-tab, I guess)
to make transits from one custom-defined area to another quick.

I would have a home position for the view -- like Inkscape does in terms of
show all, zoom to selected, zoom to last, etc.

I would have rules about traversing. Things like file-managers need some kind
of static display - like the bread crumbs and up, back, home etc.

Each app would only be active when 'locked-in', beyond that it's a bitmap of
the last paint. You could drag apps around when you zoom out, and you can
resize them at any time too.
(Just imagine OOCalc in a zui! Super/Capslock and mouse wheel for scroll/pan)

The other cool idea I had was to (handwavium here) graphically convey the
notion of pipes and import/export between apps. Also between any nodes across
the Universe of the zui. Perhaps a special 'node view' that overlays and shows
all the conduits between them -- sharp where your mouse is, faded away from
that so the whole thing is not too complex.
Imagine the flow from Inkscape to Gimp and back. Instead of File -> Export and
then File -> Import, you connect pipes along the side of each app.
Inkscape, [save selected as png (properties preset)] goes to Gimp [import to
layers by names (a script perhaps)] Now as you work in Inkscape and hit a
hotkey, all your selected vectors are sent to Gimp which reacts as if you were
there and places the new pngs into layers.
This can work both ways and between multiple programs. Mix-in Blender and
Scribus and Lyx and some grep and a loop or two and some imagemagick...

Ah, I better stop. I can ramble on sometimes

*I have many issues with the endless variety of re-invented wheels afa gui
toolkits go. This is another whole can of shai-Hulud...

I wrote some stuff about this a while back, if anyone wants to be put to sleep:
http://otherwise.relics.co.za/wiki/P...reamDesignApp/

\d

--
\/\/ave: (E-Mail Removed)
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
2D vector animation : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/
Font manager : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fontypython/

David Roberts

> /home/fetchinson/pyzui/pyzui/tilestore.py:22: DeprecationWarning: the
> sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
> * import sha

Yeah, I'd noticed that. It's fixed in the repository now.

On Dec 16, 10:55*pm, Daniel Fetchinson <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> > PyZUI 0.1 has been released:

> >http://da.vidr.cc/projects/pyzui/

> Cool, thanks very much!
>
> I'm using python 2.6 these days and noticed that you use the sha
> module which makes py2.6 spit out a deprecation warning:
>
> /home/fetchinson/pyzui/pyzui/tilestore.py:22: DeprecationWarning: the
> sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
> * import sha
>
> It's no big deal but if you want to be future proof maybe you can
> switch to hashlib for py2.6 and stay with sha for py2.5 and before (a
> try/except block would suffice).
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Psss, psss, put it down! -http://www.cafepress.com/putitdown

David Roberts

> Personally I see a merging of normal app windows and a zui: some kind of new
> window manager.

Have you seen Eagle Mode[1]?

[1] http://eaglemode.sourceforge.net/

On Thursday 17 December 2009 10:54:59 David Roberts wrote:
> Have you seen Eagle Mode[1]?

Yes. It's a strange beast. Good start I think; but addicted to zooming, to the
detriment of the managing aspects I think. Still, here I sit writing no code
and pontificating!

\d