Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 Upgrade dual boot

Windows 7 Upgrade dual boot

Arthur MacLeod

I have two hard drives. My workhorse drive (drive 1) has Vista64 which I
want to keep. I would like to do an upgrade install on my other drive (drive
2) which has Windows XP64 and Vista32 on it. I would like to reformat that
drive. How do I boot with the CD and tell it to install on drive 2?

Dominic Payer

If you want a clean install of Windows 7 on your second drive, boot from
the Windows 7 disk, select Custon install when prompted and then in the
next screen "Where do you want to install Windows 7" select Drive
options (advanced) and delete the partitions on your second disk.

Highlight the now empty space as where you want Windows 7 installed and
hit Next. The Windows 7 installer will partition and format the disk as
required. You will need only to enter your Windows 7 product key when
asked to complete the installation.

On 10/12/2009 18:01, Arthur MacLeod wrote:
> I have two hard drives. My workhorse drive (drive 1) has Vista64 which I
> want to keep. I would like to do an upgrade install on my other drive
> (drive 2) which has Windows XP64 and Vista32 on it. I would like to
> reformat that drive. How do I boot with the CD and tell it to install on
> drive 2?

Arthur MacLeod

Thank You.

Arthur

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you want a clean install of Windows 7 on your second drive, boot from
> the Windows 7 disk, select Custon install when prompted and then in the
> next screen "Where do you want to install Windows 7" select Drive options
> (advanced) and delete the partitions on your second disk.
>
> Highlight the now empty space as where you want Windows 7 installed and
> hit Next. The Windows 7 installer will partition and format the disk as
> required. You will need only to enter your Windows 7 product key when
> asked to complete the installation.
>

> On 10/12/2009 18:01, Arthur MacLeod wrote:
>> I have two hard drives. My workhorse drive (drive 1) has Vista64 which I
>> want to keep. I would like to do an upgrade install on my other drive
>> (drive 2) which has Windows XP64 and Vista32 on it. I would like to
>> reformat that drive. How do I boot with the CD and tell it to install on
>> drive 2?

Carlos

Arthur,
The only minor inconvenience you may find with this procedure is that
Windows 7 will name its partition on the second drive as "C:" and Vista will
likely become "D:".
This is not a big issue because when you boot Vista it will still sit in "C:".
If you want partition letters to remain as they are, simply lauch the
installation from Vista.
Put your Win 7 DVD in the drive and wait autorun to do its magic.
Also choose a Custom install.
Carlos