Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > target tag

target tag

Jonathan N. Little

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
>> Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>
>>> Target attributes that
>>> are for use with frameset and iframes which are not part of 4.01 strict.

>> Some common uses of target attributes have nothing to do with frames,
>> such as target="_blank".

> True, a common bad practice...mayeb I should have said *indented* use?

s/indented/intended/

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Eustace

On 2009-12-12 15:01 Jonathan N. Little wrote:
> Eustace wrote:
>> On 2009-12-10 14:40 Jonathan N. Little wrote:
>>> Okay I will end the dance and answer the the question you are not
>>> *exactly* asking but what you *mean* to ask. Target attributes that
>>> are for use with frameset and iframes which are not part of 4.01
>>> strict. You do not want a JavaScript solution because JavaScript is
>>> optional, so if you page depends on JavaScript, no JavaScript then no
>>> page. What you do what is in place of frames is some type of
>>> server-size includes to assemble your website in maintainable bits...

>> The webpage already required JavaScript because it uses
>> http://www.howtocreate.co.uk/jslibs/listCollapse.js, in this case for
>> practical reasons an absolutely necessary nice little script.
>>

> Sure why not, bad from the start...A you sure required, or just required
> to have the extra collapsing list? When JavaScript is not available if
> the list just fully expanded then it is okay, but if the list is not
> visible then that is very bad design decision.

The page is still under construction, but here it is:

https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/he/hliosD.html

Some of the lists are far too long, so I have been breaking then down to
smaller lists.

The listCollapse.js made the lists much better navigable. Still some
lists were far too large (#3 was over 500 pages) so I have started
breaking them down.

Eventually I may decide to add a non-JavaScript version, but if I do
certainly I won't recommend it.

emf

--
Date Calculator with all-purpose JS code
https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/js/datecalc.html

Eustace

On 2009-12-12 12:24 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Eustace wrote:

>>> You don't much about copyright, do you?

>> No, but I did not put the RARs up there, I just found them. Somebody
>> else did. Besides I don't even guide the visitors directly to the
>> RARs, I guide them to somebody's blog that contains the links to the
>> RARs.

> Such a reference would be acceptable, as you are not directly displaying
> the copyrighted works of others.
>
>> I don't think I need a copyright to write a webpage to access the
>> JPGs of those RARs even if they are copyrighted, or do I need one?

> If you are displaying directly on your site, either by copying it to
> your server or by direct linking to the work (it appears as if it's in
> your page), yes, you need permission of the author, or current owner of
> the work. Otherwise, you are abusing the copyright.

As I said, I only provide a link to a blog referring to the work, where
some poster has added the links to the RARs. One has to download the
RARs from rapidshare.com (which, I just realized, now requires one to
buy a membership or try again later), unpack them, move the JPGs to a
folder, and then download the additional files I indicate in my website.

> If you were to display some work that I wrote 50-60 years ago, I would
> not be pleased...

If some work that you wrote 50-60 years ago is still of interest or of
use to some people, but is out-of-print and hard to find, it would be
nice if you would provide some legal way for people to have access to it
other than try to locate it in some library, unless of course you intend
to reprint it. Libraries can only offer a fraction of the service of
what the web nowadays does.

emf

--
Date Calculator with all-purpose JS code
https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/js/datecalc.html

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Eustace wrote:

> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> Eustace wrote:

>>> No, but I did not put the RARs up there, I just found them.
>>> Somebody else did. Besides I don't even guide the visitors directly
>>> to the RARs, I guide them to somebody's blog that contains the
>>> links to the RARs.

>> Such a reference would be acceptable, as you are not directly
>> displaying the copyrighted works of others.
>>
>>> I don't think I need a copyright to write a webpage to access the
>>> JPGs of those RARs even if they are copyrighted, or do I need one?

>> If you are displaying directly on your site, either by copying it to
>> your server or by direct linking to the work (it appears as if it's
>> in your page), yes, you need permission of the author, or current
>> owner of the work. Otherwise, you are abusing the copyright.

> As I said, I only provide a link to a blog referring to the work,
> where some poster has added the links to the RARs. One has to
> download the RARs from rapidshare.com (which, I just realized, now
> requires one to buy a membership or try again later), unpack them,
> move the JPGs to a folder, and then download the additional files I
> indicate in my website.

Are these "additional files" a part of the original 60-year-old
document? If they are, you're violating copyright. If they are not,
you're not. You keep slipping in tiny new bits of information, it seems.

>> If you were to display some work that I wrote 50-60 years ago, I
>> would not be pleased...

> If some work that you wrote 50-60 years ago is still of interest or
> of use to some people, but is out-of-print and hard to find, it would
> be nice if you would provide some legal way for people to have access
> to it other than try to locate it in some library, unless of course
> you intend to reprint it. Libraries can only offer a fraction of the
> service of what the web nowadays does.

What if what I wrote 50 years ago was a highly-successful million-copy
selling novel? What if I was Stephen King and this novel was my first?
If you published more than a fair-use paragraph or two, you have
violated copyright law.

If I wanted to publish my "interesting old work" on the Web, I would do
so, marking it as "Copyright 1960" or whatever. If you then posted it
elsewhere, you have violated copyright law.

--
-bts

Eustace

No they are not. https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/he/hlios.html

>>> If you were to display some work that I wrote 50-60 years ago, I
>>> would not be pleased...

>> If some work that you wrote 50-60 years ago is still of interest or
>> of use to some people, but is out-of-print and hard to find, it would
>> be nice if you would provide some legal way for people to have access
>> to it other than try to locate it in some library, unless of course
>> you intend to reprint it. Libraries can only offer a fraction of the
>> service of what the web nowadays does.

> What if what I wrote 50 years ago was a highly-successful million-copy
> selling novel?

Then it would not be out-of-print.

What if I was Stephen King and this novel was my first?

Either it wouldn't be out of print, or it would be scheduled to be
reprinted, or, if I was Stephen King I wouldn't worry too much. I would
probably arrange for a legal e-edition of the novel.

> If you published more than a fair-use paragraph or two, you have
> violated copyright law.
>
> If I wanted to publish my "interesting old work" on the Web, I would do
> so, marking it as "Copyright 1960" or whatever. If you then posted it
> elsewhere, you have violated copyright law.

N/A.

emf

--
It ain't THAT, babe! - A radical reinterpretation
https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/...intmebabe.html

dorayme

> What if I was Stephen King and this novel was my first?

You would be a rich third rate writer of third rate novels...

--
dorayme

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Eustace wrote:

> On 2009-12-13 14:01 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>> <snippage occurs>
>> Are these "additional files" a part of the original 60-year-old
>> document? If they are, you're violating copyright. If they are not,
>> you're not. You keep slipping in tiny new bits of information, it seems.

> No they are not. https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/he/hlios.html

Hard to decide what's going on. All the left frame items produce:
Error: 404 NOT FOUND -- at least a dozen or so I checked.

>> What if what I wrote 50 years ago was a highly-successful million-copy
>> selling novel?

> Then it would not be out-of-print.

Of course it could be out of print. Printed in 1960, sold out. Gone from
stores. Might exist in libraries. Can't be purchased except maybe in
used book stores.

I'm trying to find an analogy to fit your questions.

>> What if I was Stephen King and this novel was my first?

> Either it wouldn't be out of print, or it would be scheduled to be
> reprinted, or, if I was Stephen King I wouldn't worry too much. I
> would probably arrange for a legal e-edition of the novel.

It was just an example...

>> If you published more than a fair-use paragraph or two, you have
>> violated copyright law.
>>
>> If I wanted to publish my "interesting old work" on the Web, I would do
>> so, marking it as "Copyright 1960" or whatever. If you then posted it
>> elsewhere, you have violated copyright law.

> N/A.

N/A? To what?

--
-bts

Eustace

On 2009-12-13 20:56 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
> Eustace wrote:
>
>> On 2009-12-13 14:01 Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
>>> <snippage occurs>
>>> Are these "additional files" a part of the original 60-year-old
>>> document? If they are, you're violating copyright. If they are not,
>>> you're not. You keep slipping in tiny new bits of information, it seems.

>> No they are not. https://files.nyu.edu/emf202/public/he/hlios.html

> Hard to decide what's going on. All the left frame items produce:
> Error: 404 NOT FOUND -- at least a dozen or so I checked.

Right. As I wrote in another message, the website provides directions on
where and how to download the RARs in your computer, unzip them,
download the webpage and the js page in your computer, and then open the
webpage to view the JPGs.

emf

On 2009-12-13 18:44 Sherm Pendley wrote:
> Eustace <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> My webpage in question contains on the left frame the links to scans
>> of the pages of a 1700 page book. At least at this stage I have no
>> intention of loading the 1700 JPGs on the web. Instead, I instruct the
>> visitor to download the RARs that contain the JPGs (from another site)
>> and I provide him/her directions on what to do to be able to browse
>> them in his/her computer.

> They're RAR archives of images? In that case, IMHO the easiest way to
> browse them would be to simply change the extension to .cbr:

The RARs contain 52 folders which contain the 1700 JPGs.

> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Archive_file>
>
> <http://comical.sourceforge.net>
>
> When you have an HTML hammer in your hand, it's easy to forget that
> not everything is a nail...
>
> sherm--

Do you think Comical will be able to read them?

emf

--
Date Calculator with all-purpose JS code

On 2009-12-11 19:47 dorayme wrote:
> In article <hfuhjd$1af$(E-Mail Removed)>, Eustace <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On 2009-12-11 16:21 dorayme wrote:
>>> In article <hftovi$u62$(E-Mail Removed)>, Eustace <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> As for your project, you are wanting to provide an electronic online
>>> version of a book by a page turning device in one frame and the pages
>>> themselves in another. The whole book? mmm... And presumably there is no
>>> online version in HTML or PDF but JPG images of the pages (all 17,000 of
>>> them?) and each one on a separate website?
>>>
>>> What a curious situation. I like it. My thoughts would turn to gathering
>>> all the pages and combining them into a PDF... It may seem like a lot of
>>> work, but you would be amazed how quickly it will go if you do a bit
>>> each day. I clear the backyard this way of weeds that grow between the
>>> brick pavings, 10 to 15 min a day on hands and knees with a sharp knife,
>>> an old sweater to act as a pad for my leg bones and a quick sweep up
>>> after. After about a fortnight, it is all done and little sweat. Plus
>>> this technique has the magical benefit of always working in the shade on
>>> a largely sunny area, try pulling this trick off doing the lot in one go!

>> It's a special 1,700 page volume of a Greek encyclopedia published once
>> some 60 years ago, which I frequently used during my school years. As
>> far as I know, only the 11 RARs are available online so far. The idea of
>> making them a PDF is an interesting one to consider in the future.
>> Making a framed webpage was the first obvious solution in order to make
>> the RARs usable first of all for myself, and sharing the possibility
>> with some friends and the wider www public secondarily.
>>

> A RAR, I take it, is a compressed file? So what happens when you
> uncompress one of the 11? What do you then get exactly? Not a PDF? A set
> of pictures of the pages with no clickable index?

Not a PDF. Folders containing JPGs. No a clickable index.

> So what exactly are you linking to in your left navigation column? If
> the book is somehow only in external sites in some compressed form, how
> are you targeting individual pages? Or is it the case that you have
> uncompressed one of these RAR files and have the 1700 jpgs on your
> server?

I have uncompressed all the RARs and have the JPGs in my computer. the
navigation column is linked to these JPGs. I do not intend to put them
on the server. The visitors can download 2 html files and a js file and
do the same.

emf