Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Cable splitter's effect on cable speed

Re: Cable splitter's effect on cable speed

Leythos

In article <2009120812272316807-cdtyrrell@mchsicom>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Various speed test sites reveal that my current DL speed is roughly 3
> Mbps, far less than the advertised 10-15 Mbps. Understanding that I
> would never actually experience 10 Mbps, I do expect something better
> than 3.
>
> Mediacom cable enters house and is split 4 ways: Cable Modem/Phone, HD
> DVR, HD TV, and SDTV. Would I find better performance if inserted a
> two-way splitter with one output going to the modem and the other going
> to the second splitter that feeds three TVs?

In most "CABLE" ISP setups your ISP MODEM must be the first TAP, not a
splitter, a TAP - the TAP is specific because it can attenuate the
signal strength so that your ISP signal is not to "hot" for your Cable
Modem.

The TAP looks like a "T", but one side will have a attenuation drop
leg/value, the other side is just passed through from the source.

So, your Cable Modem needs to be the FIRST connection, from the TAP, and
you do not use Cable TV from/connected to the TAP side....

WORLD ------ TAP PASS THROUGH ----- SPLITTER ---- TV's
TAP ATTENUATION side ---- Cable Modem

Trust yourself.
(E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 for proper email address)