Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX Routing

PIX Routing

Doug McIntyre

"RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Is $300 a lot to pay for new 50b?

No, that would be about best street price for the unbundled version
(ie. doesn't come with the IPS/AV/filtering update & maintenance subscriptions).

The 50B, unlike the PIX501 can push wirespeed in almost all cases
(maybe not so much if you turn on tons of webfilter regex's and the like).

RG

which version of netscreen would you say is comperable to 501?

Thanks
"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b1fca37$0$33860$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> RG <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> I would like to change the ip address of mail server from internal
>>ip adress to public ip address.

> Not on a PIX501 you can't. They are pure NAT boxes, nothing but NAT.
> Even if you routed down public IPs through them, and put your internal
> interface on public IPs, they'd still be doing NAT internally.
>
>>If I am not mistaken, there is something called "transparent" firewall
>>configuration where you are doing away with NAT and only do access-
>>list filtering.

> The 501 doesn't support transparent mode. The ASA's running new enough
> code can do Transparent mode, but not the 501. With PCI-DSS requiring
> NAT mode firewall with private IPs anyway, and in transparent mode you
> need to have enough public IPs for all your systems, its not too
> popular of an option. Other boxes do it better, having been around
> alot longer supporting it, such as the Netscreen/Juniper or FortiGates.
>
>>> Is the outside interface of the pix currently running a public address
>>> or a private address?

>>The outside interface is running on public address.

> Which is where it'll have to stay on a 501.

Doug McIntyre

"RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>which version of netscreen would you say is comperable to 501?

The smallest/oldest Netscreen boxes would be a step up over the 501.
(granted, thats the smallest tiny Cisco PIX model as well).

The PIX line is fairly underpowered compared to everybody else. Cisco
rested on not improving it for sometime. The ASAs make up for it somewhat.

I don't know if you are asking about current models, or old ones you'd
find on eBay though?

I'd look for newer boxes compared to older boxes though. Unlike Cisco
which didn't really do much to make new models in the PIX line,
Netscreen cycled through 3-4 generations, and Juniper has done 2
hardware cycles beyond that.

If you are looking for old used hardware, something like a
Netscreen 5GT was quite a popular model. 75Mbps throughput, 20Mbps VPN.
And you'd expect to get 75Mbps throughput, unlike a PIX 501 with its
rated 60Mbps on a good day. Should be less than $100 used.
I see some pretty funny fantasy prices on eBay for old gear now-a-days though.
(yeah, lets see, we'll get new street price for hardware that is 10
years old, and EOL'd 5 years ago).

But as a I stated earlier, a Fortigate 50B would do linespeed filtering.

RG

So, I bought myself fortigate 50b from on ebay. Little did I know they have
no password. Would you know hardware resest it?

Thanks in advance
"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b2177ca$0$47486$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>I regularly see you recommend Juniper here. Could you suggest an
>>introductory guide to SSG that would make sense to someone who was
>>familiar
>>with IOS, ASA and SonicOS?

> Hmm, I've probably been pushing Fortigate more often lately, having
> deployed them alot more in the last few years than Juniper firewall
> setups (although I did plenty of those in the past as well, as well as
> PIX deployements). Plenty of Transparent mode setups on either of the
> Juniper or Fortigate setups, although not too many lately.
>
> The SSG's are all EOL'd, replaced the SRX's, which are vastly
> different boxes. The SSG was just another version of the Netscreen
> products.
> The SRX is when they converted everything over to JunOSse.
>
> I don't know of any high-level comparisons without going and getting a
> book for the Juniper/Netscreen ones. There are a few good ones on
> Netscreen Firewalls, but a couple I've read had some good high point
> overviews of Juniper vs. Cisco.
>
> BUT what I usually go for is going direct to the source documentation,
> which all 3 companies have fully online, open to the public.
>
> Like any computer documentation, each company has its own "style" and
> layout, and it does take a bit of thinking to get used to their style
> of doing things.
>
> Ie. if you did want to start with the older, EOL'd SSG boxes, the
> Fundementals of the Netscreen Concepts and Examples manual is where to
> start.
>
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/soft...ndamentals.pdf
>
> Just go up one level to the directory URL for the rest of the
> documentation in
> that series, but the fundementals would be a good start.
>
> The SRX documentation is here.
> http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/soft...0.0/index.html
>
> There's not really a good starting point with the SRX. Having other
> JunOS experience helps alot. I have some M series routers that I
> manage, but not any SRXs...
>
> FortiNet's documentation starts here.
>
> http://docs.fortinet.com/fgt.html
>
> They probably have the most complete WebGUI interface, you can do 99%
> of what you need to totally within the GUI without going to the CLI.
> The Admin guide isn't quite as detailed as others, but should at least
> show you the concepts of what it is capable of. Deeper understanding
> of all only comes after having used them for sometime and deploying
> specific solutions.

Doug McIntyre

"RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>So, I bought myself fortigate 50b from on ebay. Little did I know they have
>no password. Would you know hardware resest it?

To password recovery a Fortinet, console in (uses same pinout as
Cisco, Juniper, Sun, etc).

Login as 'maintainer'. Password of 'bcpb' followed by the full serial
# of the box, matching case (ie. FGT in upper case, and any hardware
rev letter)

And then to make sure the config is totally cleared out

execute factoryreset

from the CLI.

RG

Thanks for your time.

I am at a loss.

This is what I have done...

1. I connected dc9pin to my computer and rj45 end to fortigate
2. Through termina session I got user name prompt
3. I entered maintainer for user name.
4. I entered bcpbFGT50B3G07518259 for password
5. The response was it didn't like the credentials.

Perhaps you can see a problem with a password or username.

"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b70eb60$0$33859$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> "RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>So, I bought myself fortigate 50b from on ebay. Little did I know they
>>have
>>no password. Would you know hardware resest it?

> To password recovery a Fortinet, console in (uses same pinout as
> Cisco, Juniper, Sun, etc).
>
> Login as 'maintainer'. Password of 'bcpb' followed by the full serial
> # of the box, matching case (ie. FGT in upper case, and any hardware
> rev letter)
>
> And then to make sure the config is totally cleared out
>
> execute factoryreset
>
> from the CLI.

Doug McIntyre

"RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Thanks for your time.

>I am at a loss.

>This is what I have done...

>1. I connected dc9pin to my computer and rj45 end to fortigate
>2. Through termina session I got user name prompt
>3. I entered maintainer for user name.
>4. I entered bcpbFGT50B3G07518259 for password
>5. The response was it didn't like the credentials.

>Perhaps you can see a problem with a password or username.

That should do it.

There is a timelimit, maybe make sure to have the password in the
paste buffer ready to send in?

Otherwise, make sure you don't typo it, sometimes delete/backspace
messes up things even if the characters get rubbed out on the screen.

RG

k.. Now it worked for me. I don't know why I had to reboot the device while
in session and it worked for me. Thanks for the help.

"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b7108b1$0$637$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> "RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>Thanks for your time.

>>I am at a loss.

>>This is what I have done...

>>1. I connected dc9pin to my computer and rj45 end to fortigate
>>2. Through termina session I got user name prompt
>>3. I entered maintainer for user name.
>>4. I entered bcpbFGT50B3G07518259 for password
>>5. The response was it didn't like the credentials.

>>Perhaps you can see a problem with a password or username.

> That should do it.
>
> There is a timelimit, maybe make sure to have the password in the
> paste buffer ready to send in?
>
> Otherwise, make sure you don't typo it, sometimes delete/backspace
> messes up things even if the characters get rubbed out on the screen.

RG

This fortigate is pretty impressive. It looks like it is much better put
together than pix.

"Doug McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4b1fddca$0$33859$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> RG <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>For purposes of transparent firewall, which one would you recommend
>>more Netscreen/Juniper or FortiGates?

> I haven't used the new Juniper SRX's, so I can't say how stable they
> are. With Juniper's reputation, and past experience with the Netscreen
> and SSG boxes, they should be solid.
>
> I've been using FortiGate for all my deployments in the past 3 years.
> I'd say they are the way to go, very solid and dependable. Huge range
> of products, so it may be hard to choose what you need, if you are
> talking about a 501, though, a 50B is plenty for your needs.
> The bigger ones might be nicer if you need more ports/zones for your
> network.
>
>>I found that cisco pix 501 very descent and solid firewall. It is
>>highly configurable and doesn't seem to break.
>>Would you say the same about Netscreen/Juniper or FortiGates when used
>>in transparent mode?

> Definately. World apart from Sonicwall and the others in their class.
> Junpier and Fortinet make good products (like cisco).
>
>>Also, is Netscreen/Juniper or FortiGates sip aware?

> Yep. SIP and H.232 are fully supported. You do have to configure
> things specificly to recognize these protocols, so make sure to read
> up on the technotes.

Doug McIntyre

"RG" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>This fortigate is pretty impressive. It looks like it is much better put
>together than pix.

Yep, pretty nice overall I think.

I like that they support a huge range of features, the GUI is quite
usable on every desktop, only having to bop out to the CLI for a few
advanced things, they don't have licensing limitations (although you
have to subcribe to AV definition updates, but they are all like
that), and are rock solid. Code updates seem to be only for new
features and minor bug fixes than any security issues. They support
pretty much wirespeed for most setups.

I'm going through my list of managed boxes to find the longest uptime.
Hmm, I think the uptime counters roll after a time, but the system log
messages so only two reboots in 5 years on one of my oldest boxes.