Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Any hints why Firefox won't honor target=_top?

Reply
Thread Tools

Any hints why Firefox won't honor target=_top?

 
 
.._..
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2009
I have an iFrame created to get around a flakey server that sends content to
the main page. (Not mine, can't do anything about it.)

The idea being, when the flakey server times out, it doesn't cause the
remainder of the page to load, but instead is just an empty box.

The iFramed page has a JavaScript in it, that pulls a form from the remote
server, and uses a form button to have the user interact with it. I have no
control over that script... it's on the other server.

In IE, Safari, and Chrome the target="_top" tag is honored so the contents
of the response from the remote server is displayed on the next page when
the button is pushed. In FireFox, the content is displayed in the iFrame,
which of course is unreadable.

I have target tags on both the iFrame tag and the framed page. Neither
works in FireFox where other browsers deal with it as expected. I believe
the problem is specific to the form button, wherein FireFox does not honor
the "target" tag in the surrounding files for form buttons.

I got around this by adding yet another JavaScript to "break out of" the
frame, but that is the long way around.

So, does anybody know if there is a way to get FireFox to honor the "base
target" tag on a form button without changing the code in the button? I'd
like a more elegant solution to this. I already tried modifying the way I
quote the "base target" and iFrame tags.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-08-2009
..._.. wrote:
> I have an iFrame created to get around a flakey server that sends
> content to the main page. (Not mine, can't do anything about it.)
>
> The idea being, when the flakey server times out, it doesn't cause the
> remainder of the page to load, but instead is just an empty box.
>
> The iFramed page has a JavaScript in it, that pulls a form from the
> remote server, and uses a form button to have the user interact with
> it. I have no control over that script... it's on the other server.
>
> In IE, Safari, and Chrome the target="_top" tag is honored so the
> contents of the response from the remote server is displayed on the
> next page when the button is pushed. In FireFox, the content is
> displayed in the iFrame, which of course is unreadable.
>
> I have target tags on both the iFrame tag and the framed page. Neither
> works in FireFox where other browsers deal with it as
> expected. I believe the problem is specific to the form button,
> wherein FireFox does not honor the "target" tag in the surrounding
> files for form buttons.
> I got around this by adding yet another JavaScript to "break out of"
> the frame, but that is the long way around.
>
> So, does anybody know if there is a way to get FireFox to honor the
> "base target" tag on a form button without changing the code in the
> button? I'd like a more elegant solution to this. I already tried
> modifying the way I quote the "base target" and iFrame tags.


Of course there is absolutely no way you are going to tell us where this
page lives, is there. It'd be way too easy then to be able to spot your
obvious error.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
.._..
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2009
rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JDATm.61137$(E-Mail Removed)...
> .._.. wrote:
>> I have an iFrame created to get around a flakey server that sends
>> content to the main page. (Not mine, can't do anything about it.)
>>
>> The idea being, when the flakey server times out, it doesn't cause the
>> remainder of the page to load, but instead is just an empty box.
>>
>> The iFramed page has a JavaScript in it, that pulls a form from the
>> remote server, and uses a form button to have the user interact with
>> it. I have no control over that script... it's on the other server.
>>
>> In IE, Safari, and Chrome the target="_top" tag is honored so the
>> contents of the response from the remote server is displayed on the
>> next page when the button is pushed. In FireFox, the content is
>> displayed in the iFrame, which of course is unreadable.
>>
>> I have target tags on both the iFrame tag and the framed page. Neither
>> works in FireFox where other browsers deal with it as
>> expected. I believe the problem is specific to the form button,
>> wherein FireFox does not honor the "target" tag in the surrounding
>> files for form buttons.
>> I got around this by adding yet another JavaScript to "break out of"
>> the frame, but that is the long way around.
>>
>> So, does anybody know if there is a way to get FireFox to honor the
>> "base target" tag on a form button without changing the code in the
>> button? I'd like a more elegant solution to this. I already tried
>> modifying the way I quote the "base target" and iFrame tags.

>
> Of course there is absolutely no way you are going to tell us where this
> page lives, is there. It'd be way too easy then to be able to spot your
> obvious error.


Well then. Now that your e-penis is properly flexed.

How's that lack of civil rights, lack of free speech, right to self defense,
government monitored internet and genocide going for ya mate?

Maybe you should direct your anger there.





 
Reply With Quote
 
Jukka K. Korpela
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-09-2009
..._.. wrote:

> Well then. Now that your e-penis is properly flexed.
>
> How's that lack of civil rights, lack of free speech, right to self
> defense, government monitored internet and genocide going for ya mate?
>
> Maybe you should direct your anger there.


It seems that we cannot explain your behavior as mere stupidity anymore,
after that anonymous attack on someone whose only mistake was fullquoting.

So thank &Deity; you were also stupid enough not to post a URL but instead
attacked a person who made that sensible suggestion. This way, nobody wasted
much time in trying to help you.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

 
Reply With Quote
 
Neredbojias
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-10-2009
On 09 Dec 2009, ".._.." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Of course there is absolutely no way you are going to tell us where
>> this page lives, is there. It'd be way too easy then to be able to
>> spot your obvious error.

>
> Well then. Now that your e-penis is properly flexed.
>
> How's that lack of civil rights, lack of free speech, right to self
> defense, government monitored internet and genocide going for ya
> mate?
>
> Maybe you should direct your anger there.


It ain't "anger", it's "angst". There's a lot of angst 'round here.
Comes from beer, I think.

--
Neredbojias
http://www.neredbojias.org/
http://www.neredbojias.net/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hints for find-as-you-type hints cbossens73@yahoo.fr Java 2 04-08-2009 11:08 AM
findcontrol("PlaceHolderPrice") why why why why why why why why why why why Mr. SweatyFinger ASP .Net 2 12-02-2006 03:46 PM
501 PIX "deny any any" "allow any any" Any Anybody? Networking Student Cisco 4 11-16-2006 10:40 PM
Any hints on how to do frames in ASP.Net 2.0? Jim ASP .Net 15 01-03-2006 01:10 AM
Any hints on nice Macro lens for D100 Proto Digital Photography 12 02-06-2004 10:04 AM



Advertisments