Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: Cable splitter's effect on cable speed

Re: Cable splitter's effect on cable speed

why?

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 12:27:23 -0600, Chris wrote:

>Various speed test sites reveal that my current DL speed is roughly 3
>Mbps, far less than the advertised 10-15 Mbps. Understanding that I
>would never actually experience 10 Mbps, I do expect something better
>than 3.
>
>Mediacom cable enters house and is split 4 ways: Cable Modem/Phone, HD
>DVR, HD TV, and SDTV. Would I find better performance if inserted a

So that's a single 4 way splitter?

>two-way splitter with one output going to the modem and the other going

Depends on the signal strength reaching the devices and if Mediacom put
the splitter's in or not and if they all are the same type.

You may want to get them in and check the signals. Your CM should also
have status page / signal strength info available via a web browser.
Thier support line should be able to confirm if the levels are correct.

>to the second splitter that feeds three TVs?

Depends on the attenuation of the splitter.

You are suggesting 1->2way with CM and then out to the 3 TVs, you are
adding extra attenuation / splitter before the TV then again at the 3w
junction.

Better to try disconnecting TVs and using a matching 1 -> 1 attenuator
to the CM only.

You have to be careful changing spliiers / attenuation. So you don't
have too low or high power levels.

The CM system here is split somewhere under the floor, and the company
use this sort of system, last time I looked anyway.

Room 1 - coax feed into a TV/Radio junction box. Both connected.
Room 2 - coax feed into a single junction box to 2 way
attenuator/splitter -> TV/CM.
Room 1 - coax feed into a TV/Radio junction box. TV connected, Radio
connection terminated.

>TIA,
>Chris

Me