Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Running old DOS program on 64 bit Windows 7

Running old DOS program on 64 bit Windows 7

Glory

I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
run.

Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
system?

El.Plates

"Glory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
> am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
> run.
>
> Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
> system?

He you go take a look here
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Running+old+DOS...+bit+Windows+7

Glory

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 09:26:24 -0500, Glory <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
>am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
>run.
>
>Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
>system?

Thanks but I already tried Google and didn't really find anything that
would help me. It appears there are other people out there with
similar problems but the answers are all over the place with mixed
results.

And how do you know if a DOS program is 16 bit or 32 bit?

Diabolic Preacher

Evan Platt expressed the following thoughts on 12/8/2009 11:52 PM:
> On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:17:11 -0500, Glory<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thanks but I already tried Google and didn't really find anything that
>> would help me. It appears there are other people out there with
>> similar problems but the answers are all over the place with mixed
>> results.

> Who suggested google?
>
> Grinder suggested DosBox. I've used that before and it works great.
> Try it.
>
>> And how do you know if a DOS program is 16 bit or 32 bit?

> From Microsoft:
>
> 1. Use Windows Explorer to open the folder that contains the
> program's executable (.exe) file.
> 2. Right-click the .exe file, and then click Properties.
> 3. A 16-bit program does not have a Version tab in this dialog box.

DOS programs were 32 bit? Ever?

--
Diabolic Preacher
As Is

PeeCee

"Glory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
> am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
> run.
>
> Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
> system?

Glory

If you have Windows 7 "Pro" or "Ulitmate" you can download the free
Microsoft 'XP Mode' virutal PC.
Basically if it can be made to run on an XP PC then it should run in the XP
Mode on a Windows 7/64bit PC.

Though I haven't run any 16 bit DOS programs per see, I have installed and
run an old accounting program that started life as a DOS program and was
warmed over for Windows 98.
AFAIK the accounting program stayed 16 bit all the way through so there is a
good chance any 16 bit DOS program will run in XP Mode.

Alternatively if you have Home Premium (which won't install the Microsoft XP
Mode) you could look at the other virtual PC's that others have pointed to.
Just create the virtual machine and install a copy of DOS as the OS and you
should be good to go.

Best
Paul.

Glory

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 10:22:36 -0800, Evan Platt
<evan@*******************************> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 13:17:11 -0500, Glory <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Thanks but I already tried Google and didn't really find anything that
>>would help me. It appears there are other people out there with
>>similar problems but the answers are all over the place with mixed
>>results.

>Who suggested google?
>
>Grinder suggested DosBox. I've used that before and it works great.
>Try it.
>
>>And how do you know if a DOS program is 16 bit or 32 bit?

>From Microsoft:
>
> 1. Use Windows Explorer to open the folder that contains the
>program's executable (.exe) file.
> 2. Right-click the .exe file, and then click Properties.
> 3. A 16-bit program does not have a Version tab in this dialog box.

Thanks!

Glory

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:55:26 +1300, "PeeCee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Glory" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
>> am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
>> run.
>>
>> Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
>> system?

>Glory
>
>If you have Windows 7 "Pro" or "Ulitmate" you can download the free
>Microsoft 'XP Mode' virutal PC.
>Basically if it can be made to run on an XP PC then it should run in the XP
>Mode on a Windows 7/64bit PC.
>
>Though I haven't run any 16 bit DOS programs per see, I have installed and
>run an old accounting program that started life as a DOS program and was
>warmed over for Windows 98.
>AFAIK the accounting program stayed 16 bit all the way through so there is a
>good chance any 16 bit DOS program will run in XP Mode.
>
>Alternatively if you have Home Premium (which won't install the Microsoft XP
>Mode) you could look at the other virtual PC's that others have pointed to.
>Just create the virtual machine and install a copy of DOS as the OS and you
>should be good to go.
>
>Best
>Paul.

Yup, I have Home Premium unfortunately, so looks like I'll have to go
the DosBox route. Thanks for your advice.

Glory

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 10:12:15 -0600, Grinder <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Glory wrote:
>> I have an old DOS program that I have to use every year but now that I
>> am using a new 64 bit computer system with Windows 7 it will no longer
>> run.
>>
>> Is there an emulator that will allow this program to run on this
>> system?

>This can probably help:
>http://www.dosbox.com/

DosBox worked like a charm! I wish it had the ability to use
"paste", but I suppose I can live with typing in a long command line
once in awhile. Perhaps it recognizes .BAT files and can run them?
That could help.

Dosman Dosman is offline
Junior Member

1) Dosbox does not support file and record locking commands
.... ( needed if you want to have a multi user user operation )

2) Dosbox will not allow you to shell out to notepad or wordpad
.... as normal CMD Dos does

Does anyone know of a work around for problem #1 above?
I have a work around for problem #2 ...not elegant but it works

Last edited by Dosman; 02-20-2010 at 06:46 PM..

ranleyf ranleyf is offline
Junior Member

I found a patch for the record and file locking issue here:

Patch download: http://dose.0wnz.at/dosbox/

I am trying to run an old DOS program which uses BTRIEVE and BUTIL which don't run on 64bit Windows 7. The patch above has helped because the program utilises record/file locking.
Hope the patch helps you too. Could you please explain more how you got around problem #2?

Ran