Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: Request for py program to insert space between two characters andsaved as text?

Re: Request for py program to insert space between two characters andsaved as text?

r0g

Dave Angel wrote:

> r0g wrote:
>> Dave Angel wrote:

>>> That's even worse. As far as I can tell, the code will never do what he
>>> wants in Python 2.x. The Kannada text file is full of Unicode
>>> characters in some encoding, and if you ignore the encoding, you'll just
>>> get garbage.
>>>

>> Ah, fair enough. In my defence though I never saw the original post or
>> this kannada.txt file as my newsserver is not so much with the
>> reliability. I guess it's naive to assume an english .txt file is going
>> to be in ASCII these days eh?
>>
>> I've yet to try python 3 yet either, this whole Unicode thing looks like
>> it could be a total nightmare!
>>
>> Roger.
>>

> But it isn't an english .txt file, it's a Kannada .txt file.
> Presumably you didn't realize that Kannada is a (non-English) language,
> spoken in parts of India, with several hundred characters. ASCII wasn't
> even an option. Anyway, no harm done, someone else referred the OP to a
> Python user-group local to that region.
>
> DaveA

Well this looked like English to me...

example: *F o r K a n n a d a p r o j e c t . t x t(n o t .d o c) i s
u s e d, m y r e q u i r e m e n t i s t o h a v e o n e s p a
c e b e t w e e n t w o c h a r a c t e r s i n t h e t e x t.*

....but yes you're right, I had never heard of Kannada let alone knew it
was another language!

Roger.

Dave Angel

r0g wrote:
> Dave Angel wrote:
>
>> r0g wrote:

>>> Ah, fair enough. In my defence though I never saw the original post or
>>> this kannada.txt file as my newsserver is not so much with the
>>> reliability. I guess it's naive to assume an english .txt file is going
>>> to be in ASCII these days eh?
>>>
>>> I've yet to try python 3 yet either, this whole Unicode thing looks like
>>> it could be a total nightmare!
>>>
>>> Roger.
>>>

>> But it isn't an english .txt file, it's a Kannada .txt file.
>> Presumably you didn't realize that Kannada is a (non-English) language,
>> spoken in parts of India, with several hundred characters. ASCII wasn't
>> even an option. Anyway, no harm done, someone else referred the OP to a
>> Python user-group local to that region.
>>
>> DaveA
>>

> Well this looked like English to me...
>
> example: *F o r K a n n a d a p r o j e c t . t x t(n o t .d o c) i s
> u s e d, m y r e q u i r e m e n t i s t o h a v e o n e s p a
> c e b e t w e e n t w o c h a r a c t e r s i n t h e t e x t.*
>
> ...but yes you're right, I had never heard of Kannada let alone knew it
> was another language!
>
> Roger.

There were two examples. The one you quoted was in English, and
immediately afterward was the second one, presumably in Kannada.

DaveA