Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > partitionsize windows 7

partitionsize windows 7

Peter Rubens

I looked into the HD (500GB) of my new Dell Inspiron with windows 7 home
premium 64bits and found that there was only one volume C: with primary
partition of 456 Gb and a recovery partition of 15 GB.
As I like to make an other partion for a 2nd OS , surely I can decrease the
c: partion of Windows 7?
So what is the minimum size for that partition?
regards

__________ Informatie van ESET NOD32 Antivirus, versie van database viruskenmerken 4667 (20091207) __________

Het bericht is gecontroleerd door ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

Tom Orle

"Peter Rubens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>As I like to make an other partion for a 2nd OS , surely I can decrease the
>c: partion of Windows 7?
>So what is the minimum size for that partition?
>regards

I prefer to keep only OS related stuff on the C partition and load
apps on D and E.
Maintenance is much easier that way - backups are smaller and quicker
so are restores if need be. Defrags are also quicker. And if you do
need to restore the OS because it got messed up, any data saved on D
since the last backup will still be there.
I've beein doing it this way ever since Win98 and it saved my butt
many times as I like to tweak the OS's a lot ( I also use ERUNT to
back up registry between partition backups - these backups also get
put on the D drive for safekeeping.)

On my 500GB drive I allocated 80GB for XP, 180 for D, 160 for E and 80
for F, my Win7 partition.

For what it's worth - I sucessfully backed up and restored the Win7
partition F while booted into XP - now I don't have to buy a W7
compatible backup program (I use Acronis' True Image)

Just my 5 cents worth ...

-=tom=-

-=tom=-

Alsenor

Tom, this sounds like a very prudent way to manage the HD, and I would like
to do that as well.
What app do you use for your partitioning work?

"Tom Orle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Peter Rubens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>As I like to make an other partion for a 2nd OS , surely I can decrease
>>the
>>c: partion of Windows 7?
>>So what is the minimum size for that partition?
>>regards

> I prefer to keep only OS related stuff on the C partition and load
> apps on D and E.
> Maintenance is much easier that way - backups are smaller and quicker
> so are restores if need be. Defrags are also quicker. And if you do
> need to restore the OS because it got messed up, any data saved on D
> since the last backup will still be there.
> I've beein doing it this way ever since Win98 and it saved my butt
> many times as I like to tweak the OS's a lot ( I also use ERUNT to
> back up registry between partition backups - these backups also get
> put on the D drive for safekeeping.)
>
> On my 500GB drive I allocated 80GB for XP, 180 for D, 160 for E and 80
> for F, my Win7 partition.
>
> For what it's worth - I sucessfully backed up and restored the Win7
> partition F while booted into XP - now I don't have to buy a W7
> compatible backup program (I use Acronis' True Image)
>
> Just my 5 cents worth ...
>
> -=tom=-
>
> -=tom=-

R. C. White

Hi, Alsenor.

I agree with Tom - and take it one step further. For the past 7 years or
so, I've formatted each of my HDDs with a single small primary partition and
put the rest of each disk into an extended partition, which I divide into
multiple logical drives. Each Windows installation goes into its own
logical drive; other logical drives are for Data, Downloads, Photos, etc.
Each data volume is fully accessible from each OS. And each OS's boot
volume is fully accessible from any of the other OSes. But any OS's boot
volume can be reformatted or deleted without affecting other Windows
installations or my data volumes - or the System Partition.

Don't put ANY operating system into the System Partition. Just the startup
files. For Win2K and WinXP, those are just NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and
Boot.ini. For Vista and Win7, they are only bootmgr and the \Boot folder,
which holds the BCD. All these files and folders total much less than 20
MB, so even a 1 GB System Partition is generous. And even when
multi-booting a dozen beta installations, these few system files do not grow
by more than a few dozen bytes. Win7, when installed on a virgin HDD,
creates a new hidden System Reserved Partition that is only 100 MB and does
not assign it a drive letter. (I haven't yet installed Win7 that way, but
my method does practically the same thing.)

No matter which volume on which disk holds which Windows installation, the
boot process ALWAYS starts in the System Partition and then branches to the
volume that holds the Windows that we choose to run THIS session. So, if we
install Win7 into the 3rd partition (2nd logical drive) on Disk 1 and if
Setup assigns that volume the letter W:, when we restart, the boot process
will start in the System Partition (no matter what letter it uses) and then,
when we choose to boot "Win7 (W", the boot manager will find Win7 on W:
and load the operating system from there. From then on, for the rest of the
current session, %SystemRoot% will be W:\Windows.

> What app do you use for your partitioning work?

The best part may be that NO software is required for this except what has
been built into every Windows since Win2K. Disk Management is the tool to
use to manage HDDs, optical drives, thumb drives, SD cards - and just about
anything else that can be assigned a "drive" letter. It can create
partitions, format them, shrink them and delete them. I've also used good
old Xcopy.exe to move entire operating systems from one volume to another
and still be able to run them from their new location. (But don't try to
Xcopy the OS that is currently running; boot into Win7 to move WinXP, or
boot into Win7 on X: to move Win7 on Y:, for example.)

Just remember: We BOOT from the SYSTEM volume and keep the operating SYSTEM
files in the BOOT volume (KB 314470)! A "volume" can be either a primary
partition or a logical drive, except for the System volume, which must be
the Active primary partition on the boot disk.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Alsenor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:evMi#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tom, this sounds like a very prudent way to manage the HD, and I would
> like to do that as well.
> What app do you use for your partitioning work?
>
> "Tom Orle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Peter Rubens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>As I like to make an other partion for a 2nd OS , surely I can decrease
>>>the
>>>c: partion of Windows 7?
>>>So what is the minimum size for that partition?
>>>regards

>> I prefer to keep only OS related stuff on the C partition and load
>> apps on D and E.
>> Maintenance is much easier that way - backups are smaller and quicker
>> so are restores if need be. Defrags are also quicker. And if you do
>> need to restore the OS because it got messed up, any data saved on D
>> since the last backup will still be there.
>> I've beein doing it this way ever since Win98 and it saved my butt
>> many times as I like to tweak the OS's a lot ( I also use ERUNT to
>> back up registry between partition backups - these backups also get
>> put on the D drive for safekeeping.)
>>
>> On my 500GB drive I allocated 80GB for XP, 180 for D, 160 for E and 80
>> for F, my Win7 partition.
>>
>> For what it's worth - I sucessfully backed up and restored the Win7
>> partition F while booted into XP - now I don't have to buy a W7
>> compatible backup program (I use Acronis' True Image)
>>
>> Just my 5 cents worth ...
>>
>> -=tom=-

Carlos

Hi,
There's no need for an external app in windows 7.
Right click on your computer icon, choose manage, storage, disk management.
Carlos

"Alsenor" wrote:

> Tom, this sounds like a very prudent way to manage the HD, and I would like
> to do that as well.
> What app do you use for your partitioning work?
>
> "Tom Orle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Peter Rubens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>As I like to make an other partion for a 2nd OS , surely I can decrease
> >>the
> >>c: partion of Windows 7?
> >>So what is the minimum size for that partition?
> >>regards

> > I prefer to keep only OS related stuff on the C partition and load
> > apps on D and E.
> > Maintenance is much easier that way - backups are smaller and quicker
> > so are restores if need be. Defrags are also quicker. And if you do
> > need to restore the OS because it got messed up, any data saved on D
> > since the last backup will still be there.
> > I've beein doing it this way ever since Win98 and it saved my butt
> > many times as I like to tweak the OS's a lot ( I also use ERUNT to
> > back up registry between partition backups - these backups also get
> > put on the D drive for safekeeping.)
> >
> > On my 500GB drive I allocated 80GB for XP, 180 for D, 160 for E and 80
> > for F, my Win7 partition.
> >
> > For what it's worth - I sucessfully backed up and restored the Win7
> > partition F while booted into XP - now I don't have to buy a W7
> > compatible backup program (I use Acronis' True Image)
> >
> > Just my 5 cents worth ...
> >
> > -=tom=-
> >
> > -=tom=-
> >

> .

Tom Orle

"Alsenor" wrote:

> Tom, this sounds like a very prudent way to manage the HD, and I would like
> to do that as well.
> What app do you use for your partitioning work?

I did the resizing of the existing partions and adding the new
partition in Win XP using Partition Magic 8.0.

-=tom=-