Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Be glad Apple doesn't make cameras

Reply
Thread Tools

Be glad Apple doesn't make cameras

 
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
pro-level DSLRs.
Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
them with a one-button push, ideally.
Which is why pro cameras will stay large.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ray Fischer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism


Rich is an effete snob who doesn't realize that Apple's computers are
designed in California. And judging by Apple's stock price they seem
to be doing quite well.

It's a good thing Rich isn't an engineer. Any product he designed
would be so heavy and so muddled with useless crap as to be unusable.

>Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what


Oooo! "Think".

Take your own advice.

--
Ray Fischer
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roger Matthews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
But you would have to send them back to the manufacturer every time the
battery needed replacement!

"corks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ahem but apple pc's are made of metal ????
>
>
> "RichA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>> replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>> design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
>> that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
>> Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
>> is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
>> lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
>> This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
>> pro-level DSLRs.
>> Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
>> onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
>> would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
>> know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
>> them with a one-button push, ideally.
>> Which is why pro cameras will stay large.

>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Shawn Hirn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
In article
<(E-Mail Removed)>,
RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
> replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
> design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
> that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
> Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
> is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
> lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
> This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
> pro-level DSLRs.
> Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
> onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
> would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
> know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
> them with a one-button push, ideally.
> Which is why pro cameras will stay large.


Apple did make a digital camera. Apple's QuickTake was one of the first
consumer-level digital cameras on the market. Apple has never aspired to
replace the PC. Steve Jobs has said that in public several times. You
need to update yourself on history before you spout off with clearly
uninformed information.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shawn Hirn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
In article <4b1c9c09$0$1648$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:

> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
> >replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
> >design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism

>
> Rich is an effete snob who doesn't realize that Apple's computers are
> designed in California. And judging by Apple's stock price they seem
> to be doing quite well.


Let's see. As of close this past Friday ...

APPL = 193.32
HP = 36.80
DELL = 13.46


Hmmm ...

Apple shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John A.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 07:05:54 -0500, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <4b1c9c09$0$1648$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>
>> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>> >replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>> >design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism

>>
>> Rich is an effete snob who doesn't realize that Apple's computers are
>> designed in California. And judging by Apple's stock price they seem
>> to be doing quite well.

>
>Let's see. As of close this past Friday ...
>
>APPL = 193.32
>HP = 36.80
>DELL = 13.46
>
>
>Hmmm ...
>
>Apple shareholders are laughing all the way to the bank.


The iPod & iPhone are to thank for that.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John A.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 07:01:32 -0500, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article
><(E-Mail Removed)>,
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>> replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>> design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
>> that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
>> Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
>> is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
>> lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
>> This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
>> pro-level DSLRs.
>> Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
>> onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
>> would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
>> know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
>> them with a one-button push, ideally.
>> Which is why pro cameras will stay large.

>
>Apple did make a digital camera. Apple's QuickTake was one of the first
>consumer-level digital cameras on the market. Apple has never aspired to
>replace the PC. Steve Jobs has said that in public several times. You
>need to update yourself on history before you spout off with clearly
>uninformed information.


Current marketing campaign notwithstanding.
 
Reply With Quote
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article
> <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>> replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>> design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
>> that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
>> Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
>> is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
>> lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
>> This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
>> pro-level DSLRs.
>> Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
>> onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
>> would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
>> know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
>> them with a one-button push, ideally.
>> Which is why pro cameras will stay large.

>
> Apple did make a digital camera. Apple's QuickTake was one of the first
> consumer-level digital cameras on the market. Apple has never aspired to
> replace the PC. Steve Jobs has said that in public several times. You
> need to update yourself on history before you spout off with clearly
> uninformed information.


That won't be happening, as Rich likes to post.... a lot.

Apple still "makes" a digital camera- they're embedded in all laptops
and iPhones.

--
John McWilliams
 
Reply With Quote
 
RichA
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009


Ray Fischer wrote:
> RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
> >replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
> >design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism

>
> Rich is an effete snob who doesn't realize that Apple's computers are
> designed in California. And judging by Apple's stock price they seem
> to be doing quite well.
>


Selling iphones. European means European style, not built there.
Apple is the Ikea of computers, but not nearly as successful with
computers as Ikea has been with cheap furnture.
 
Reply With Quote
 
GMAN
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-07-2009
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, RichA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Because they'd corner the market? Hardly. Their aspirations about
>replacing PC's haven't and won't come to pass. It comes down to
>design. Apple products are plagued by a soulless European minimalism
>that to some appears attractive, but from a functional aspect, sucks.
>Think about pro cameras then think about newer small cameras and what
>is the small camera's main problem? Lack of up front functionality,
>lack of buttons. Everything is buried in menus or simply lacking.
>This is why despite the constant griping by some there ARE no small,
>pro-level DSLRs.
>Apple doesn't use buttons. Everything is in multi-layed menus
>onscreen. If the could commit the keyboard to a screen, likely they
>would. This is not the kind of hamstrung functionality people who
>know better want in a camera. They want the functions available to
>them with a one-button push, ideally.
>Which is why pro cameras will stay large.

Apple "DID" make digital cameras way back in 1994
They were a piece of ****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_QuickTake
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cameras--Cameras--Cameras wagwheel Digital Photography 1 04-01-2007 07:55 PM
Cameras--Cameras--Cameras wagwheel Digital Photography 4 04-01-2007 01:12 PM
Cameras--Cameras--Cameras wagwheel Digital Photography 0 03-31-2007 11:38 AM
glad to bere here HackaX0rus The Lounge 8 07-04-2005 01:48 AM



Advertisments