Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Re: How to program a quick sort function?

Re: How to program a quick sort function?

Eric Sosman

Thomas Dean wrote:
> It is said that quick sort has been the fastest sorting algorithm so
> far.

Only someone who doesn't know what he's talking about
would say such a thing so baldly, without qualification.

> So how to program it?

In the language of your choice. While you're still
familiarizing yourself with what's involved, it will be
helpful to use a language (like C) that allows recursive
subroutine calls.

"Engineering a Sort Function" by Bentley and McIlroy
is a must-read, but it sort of assumes you already know
something about Quicksort. Write a "baby steps" version
of your own to familiarize yourself with what's involved,
and read Bentley&McIlroy afterward.

> If you know, could you please teach me? Thank you anyway.

Homework? What do your teacher and your textbook say?

Not homework? There are lots of Quicksort explanations
on the net; GIYF.

--
Eric Sosman