Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 64bit..

Upgrading from XP to Windows 7 64bit..

Hüseyin Aliz

Hi All,

I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 - 64bit. The options are:

1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to Win7 (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).

What could be best option? I am currently thinking of option 3, but in this case i would like to ask what folder's are moved in windows.old, for instance i have folders like:

c:\data
c:\developer

Are they removed from the system/harddisk when Windows 7 are installed, untouched or moved to windows.old or what happens to them?

Thanks in advance,
Hüseyin A.

Charlie Russel - MVP

First, there is NO upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. It will always be a clean
install. You _can_ use an upgrade version, but it will still require a clean
install. This means that both option 1 and option 2 are out. So you will
always be doing option 3, plan accordingly.

You should run Windows Easy Transfer (WET) on the old computer before the
installation to preserve your files and settings. You can find a version for
XP here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en.

Windows.old will not include non-system folders such as \data or \developer.
But the installation won't touch those anyway, so it shouldn't be a big
deal. However, ALWAYS DO A BACKUP OF CRITICAL FILES BEFORE INSTALLING A NEW
OPERATING SYSTEM. Just in case.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Hüseyin Aliz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
Hi All,

I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 - 64bit. The
options are:

1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to Win7
(Pcmover, zinstall etc).
3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).

What could be best option? I am currently thinking of option 3, but in this
case i would like to ask what folder's are moved in windows.old, for
instance i have folders like:

c:\data
c:\developer

Are they removed from the system/harddisk when Windows 7 are installed,
untouched or moved to windows.old or what happens to them?

Thanks in advance,
Hüseyin A.

Carlos

Hi,
There is no way to upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit OS.
Your best shot is option number 3, clean install.
Formatting the disk is advisable in order to erase your old OS.
Before doing that, backup all your important information to an external
media in order to restore it once Windows 7 is installed.
Carlos

"Hüseyin Aliz" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 - 64bit. The options are:
>
> 1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
> 2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to Win7 (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
> 3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).
>
> What could be best option? I am currently thinking of option 3, but in this case i would like to ask what folder's are moved in windows.old, for instance i have folders like:
>
> c:\data
> c:\developer
>
> Are they removed from the system/harddisk when Windows 7 are installed, untouched or moved to windows.old or what happens to them?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Hüseyin A.

Dominic Payer

Option 3 since there is no direct upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Use Windows Easy Transfer or a backup program of your choice, but not
the XP backup utility: there is no facility to read its backups in
Windows 7. Be sure you can read any backups you make in Windows 7.

Delete the partition you want to install on and leave the space empty.
Highlight the space as where you want to install Windows 7. If you do
this, the Windows 7 installer can create the 100MB system partition it
prefers for its boot files and will partition and format the remainder
for the installation.

On 06/12/2009 14:03, Hüseyin Aliz wrote:
> Hi All,
> I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 - 64bit.
> The options are:
> 1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
> 2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to
> Win7 (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
> 3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).
> What could be best option? I am currently thinking of option 3, but in
> this case i would like to ask what folder's are moved in windows.old,
> for instance i have folders like:
> c:\data
> c:\developer
> Are they removed from the system/harddisk when Windows 7 are installed,
> untouched or moved to windows.old or what happens to them?
> Thanks in advance,
> Hüseyin A.

Hüseyin Aliz

Thanks all

"Dominic Payer" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i en meddelelse
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Option 3 since there is no direct upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.
>
> Use Windows Easy Transfer or a backup program of your choice, but not the
> XP backup utility: there is no facility to read its backups in Windows 7.
> Be sure you can read any backups you make in Windows 7.
>
> Delete the partition you want to install on and leave the space empty.
> Highlight the space as where you want to install Windows 7. If you do
> this, the Windows 7 installer can create the 100MB system partition it
> prefers for its boot files and will partition and format the remainder for
> the installation.
>

> On 06/12/2009 14:03, Hüseyin Aliz wrote:
>> Hi All,
>> I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 - 64bit.
>> The options are:
>> 1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
>> 2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to
>> Win7 (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
>> 3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).
>> What could be best option? I am currently thinking of option 3, but in
>> this case i would like to ask what folder's are moved in windows.old,
>> for instance i have folders like:
>> c:\data
>> c:\developer
>> Are they removed from the system/harddisk when Windows 7 are installed,
>> untouched or moved to windows.old or what happens to them?
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Hüseyin A.

LeeroyTonner

Hüseyin Aliz;4716596 Wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 -
> 64bit. The options are:
>
> 1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
> 2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to
> Win7 (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
> 3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).
>
> What could be best option?

Zinstall is the only option that supports 32bit to 64bit upgrades.
So doesn't seem to be much choice here - either that or a clean
install, i.e. reinstalling every app manually.

--
LeeroyTonner
LeeroyTonner's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161511.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Bobby Johnson

Zinstall DOES NOT support an "UPGRADE" from 32-bit to 64-bit, it
supports "MIGRATION" from 32-bit to 64-bit. There is a distinct difference.

Bobby Johnson;4716763 Wrote:
> Zinstall DOES NOT support an "UPGRADE" from 32-bit to 64-bit, it
> supports "MIGRATION" from 32-bit to 64-bit. There is a distinct
> difference.

Here's a quote from the 'product page'
(http://zinstall.com/products/zinstall-xp7):
> - You can migrate between two PCs - an old one with XP to a new one with
> Win7.
> - You can upgrade your PC to Windows 7 "in place", without losing your
> apps, settings and data.

So it does support upgrades.

--
LeeroyTonner
LeeroyTonner's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/161511.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-x...on/1279135.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Tom Orle

Hüseyin Aliz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have currently a wish to upgrade from XP (32bit) to Windows 7 - 64bit. The options are:
>
>1) Upgrade to MS Vista, then upgrade to Windows 7.
>2) Make use of 3rd party software to make a inplace upgrade of XP to Win7 (Pcmover, zinstall etc).
>3) Make a clean of Win7 (without formatting the disk).

Hello Hüseyin,

I have just finished doing what you want to do.
But I used another option - I created a dual boot system.

If you have enough disk space why don't you just create another
partition for W7?

My intial XP system was on a 500GB drive with 3 partitions: C, D and
E. I had ove 150GB free so I decided to create another partition for
W7, the F partition (I used partition magic to shorten the D & E
partitions and create the new F). I then upgraded to W7 Professional -
64bit.

Since you can not upgrade to W7 form within XP you have to boot from
the W7 install disk. Eventually it'll ask where you want to put it and
you point it to the new clean partition, in my case F. Once installed,
when you choose W7 from the startup menu, your new W7 partition will
become the 'C' partition!! and the former XP C partition may become D;
the former D becomes E and E becomes F. But that doesn't matter if you
are in W7.

(On another install, the former XP C partition was placed at the end
and became F. The former D & E partitions stayed as D & E. - how that
happened I don't know, but I liked it )

Now you have the option of using either system and if you run the
install in W7 on some existing applications to the same place where
they were in XP, you can run that application from bothe systems. That
works only for apps that can run under W7. The W7 install is to create
the required W7 registry entries.
To preserve all the apps setups, I first renamed the app and
re-installed it from W7. I then deleted that install (not uninstalled
as that would get rid of registry entries) and renamed the original
back to its normal name.
I did that to my MS Flight Sim which takes up a lot of space and I
didn't want 2 copies nor did I want to maintain 2 sets of addons. That
would have been a nightmare.

Just my experience with W7.

-=tom=-

Carlos

Leeroy,
We normally use the term "upgrade" for "on top" installations, not clean ones.
Carlos