Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Re: Damn Netflix popunders

Re: Damn Netflix popunders

Quivis

On 05 dec 2009, "Arizona Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anyone know how to stop those damn Netflix popunder ads? I've got
> Adblocker and Firefox and IE set to block popups but the damn
> things still keep coming.
>
> Nothing stops them it seems.

Perhaps something can be done using Greasemonkey scripts...?
--
Quivis
Good advice: http://improve-usenet.org

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo

John wrote:
> Quivis wrote:
>> On 05 dec 2009, "Arizona Willie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone know how to stop those damn Netflix popunder ads? I've got
>>> Adblocker and Firefox and IE set to block popups but the damn
>>> things still keep coming.
>>>
>>> Nothing stops them it seems.

>> Perhaps something can be done using Greasemonkey scripts...?

> Quivis, can you explain what this Greasemonkey does? I don't want to
> put something on my computer I don't know anything about. I also would
> like to get rid of that d**n Netflick pop-up. It's very bothersome.

as far as I could find, there were no netflick
greasemonkey scripts.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Arizona Willie wrote:
> Arizona Willie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns9CDB739243781azwilliecoxnet@216.196.97.130 :
>
>> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ecom:

>>> I don't get the Netflix pop-up all the time. I only get it when I
>>> open Yahoo as my home page. The pop-up will show itself once every
>>> four or five homepage openings. It's about a 4x6 frame size right in
>>> the middle of Yahoo's home page. I contacted Yahoo asking about it,
>>> but naturally, and I knew, it didn't do any good. I'm sure there
>>> getting a few pennies each time it pops up. I'm thinking about
>>> changing my home page and see if I still get it.
>>>

>> =================
>> Adding the hostfile that was recommended a few posts back seemed to

> cure
>> the problem for me. Haven't seen a Netflix ad for the last 3 days or

> so.
>> Do see some ads that are apparently imbedded in the page, but no

> popups.
>
> ===========
> And a day after I post this I get a Netflix popup.
>
> This time I took the url at the top of the ad: http://cdn.optmd.com/
> and cut the http:// off the front of it and added it to my host file.
>
> The actual url was longer than that, but I cut it down to the main
> address. This looks to possibly be a company hosting these ads so I
> wanted to stop ALL ads coming from the company, not just Netflix.
>
> I believe this is a different url than what was on the ad before.
> Possibly they are using shifting names or something, I dunno.
> Or maybe the put a url at the top of the ad that has NOTHING to do with
> the ad.
>
> There's gotta be some way to stop these *ssholes.

like I said before, post a link, cause I've never had
one of these netflix popup/popunder/or whatever pop

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Justin

Arizona Willie wrote on [Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:17:04 -0600]:
> Arizona Willie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Xns9CDB739243781azwilliecoxnet@216.196.97.130 :
>
>> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ecom:

>>> I don't get the Netflix pop-up all the time. I only get it when I
>>> open Yahoo as my home page. The pop-up will show itself once every
>>> four or five homepage openings. It's about a 4x6 frame size right in
>>> the middle of Yahoo's home page. I contacted Yahoo asking about it,
>>> but naturally, and I knew, it didn't do any good. I'm sure there
>>> getting a few pennies each time it pops up. I'm thinking about
>>> changing my home page and see if I still get it.
>>>

>> =================
>> Adding the hostfile that was recommended a few posts back seemed to

> cure
>> the problem for me. Haven't seen a Netflix ad for the last 3 days or

> so.
>>
>> Do see some ads that are apparently imbedded in the page, but no

> popups.
>>

> ===========
> And a day after I post this I get a Netflix popup.
>
> This time I took the url at the top of the ad: http://cdn.optmd.com/
> and cut the http:// off the front of it and added it to my host file.
>
> The actual url was longer than that, but I cut it down to the main
> address. This looks to possibly be a company hosting these ads so I
> wanted to stop ALL ads coming from the company, not just Netflix.
>
> I believe this is a different url than what was on the ad before.
> Possibly they are using shifting names or something, I dunno.
> Or maybe the put a url at the top of the ad that has NOTHING to do with
> the ad.
>
> There's gotta be some way to stop these *ssholes.

You do realise the netflix ads are helping to pay to keep these sites
online, right? If they are smarter than you then more power to them.

Justin

Arizona Willie wrote on [Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:37:45 -0600]:
> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com:
>
> There's plenty of ads on the sites already. But they are ads that reside
> on the page, not pop ups that you have to close to get them out of your
> face.

> I wouldn't object if Neflix put regular ads on a page, but these damn
> popups are irritating and make me much less inclined to do business with
> Netflix.

Don't blame netflix, it's the site that you are going to that is pushing
the ads on you.

> I used to be a customer until I got sick and tired of getting cracked
> disks and disk that wouldn't play for no visible reason. I even got disks
> that had jelly on them. They claim to clean the disks but that sure isn't
> perfect.
>
> It got so bad at the end that appox 50% of disks wouldn't play...so I
> dropped them.

Wow, I only experience problems about 2% of the time. I have had maybe 4
problem disks in the last 3 years or so.

> I figured for the $15/ mo I was paying Netflix I coulg get 3 HD movies
> from my cable company. Didn't need Netflix.
>
> I was looking forward to their streaming service to the big screen tv but
> they only stream SD movies .... no HD. So, once again, don't need them.

That's funny, I was streaming Bottle Shock today in HD from Netflix.

Justin

Arizona Willie wrote on [Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:31:49 -0600]:
> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com:
>
>> Arizona Willie wrote on [Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:37:45 -0600]:
>>> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com:
>>>
>>> There's plenty of ads on the sites already. But they are ads that
>>> reside on the page, not pop ups that you have to close to get them
>>> out of your face.

>>> I wouldn't object if Neflix put regular ads on a page, but these damn
>>> popups are irritating and make me much less inclined to do business
>>> with Netflix.

>> Don't blame netflix, it's the site that you are going to that is
>> pushing the ads on you.
>>>
>>> I used to be a customer until I got sick and tired of getting cracked
>>> disks and disk that wouldn't play for no visible reason. I even got
>>> disks that had jelly on them. They claim to clean the disks but that
>>> sure isn't perfect.
>>>
>>> It got so bad at the end that appox 50% of disks wouldn't play...so I
>>> dropped them.

>> Wow, I only experience problems about 2% of the time. I have had maybe
>> 4 problem disks in the last 3 years or so.
>>
>>> I figured for the $15/ mo I was paying Netflix I coulg get 3 HD
>>> movies from my cable company. Didn't need Netflix.
>>>
>>> I was looking forward to their streaming service to the big screen tv
>>> but they only stream SD movies .... no HD. So, once again, don't need
>>> them.

>> That's funny, I was streaming Bottle Shock today in HD from Netflix.
>>

> ========
> Well they may have improved. Last I heard they only streamed SD ... maybe
> 780 but that isn't true HD.

That would be 720, and yes that is true HD

Justin

Arizona Willie wrote on [Fri, 11 Dec 2009 16:56:34 -0600]:
> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com:
>
>> Arizona Willie wrote on [Thu, 10 Dec 2009 23:31:49 -0600]:
>>> Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com:

>>> ========
>>> Well they may have improved. Last I heard they only streamed SD ...
>>> maybe 780 but that isn't true HD.

>> That would be 720, and yes that is true HD
>>

> ==============
> No, it isn't. True HD is 1080i at the min preferably 1080p.
> 720 is just a slightly better SD.

That's funny, every definition of HD I have seen includes 720p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-de...#TV_resolution

Re: Damn Netflix popunders Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo Firefox 3 12-08-2009 12:32 AM
damn loop John Smith Cisco 3 03-17-2005 05:13 AM
Popunders Help ileif@ix.netcom.com Firefox 14 03-02-2005 10:55 PM
Why is my Mozilla so damn slow? Jukka Hellen Firefox 3 11-27-2003 04:10 AM
Damn Virus People Kendal Emery MCSE 9 09-22-2003 06:42 PM

Advertisments