Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Is what I believe about 64 bit systems true?

Is what I believe about 64 bit systems true?

Chaz

Hi:
I am currently planning my next workstation, and am considering a 64bit
machine. This machine will be prebuilt from Dell/Sony/Whoever, so there
shouldn’t be any driver issues.
I want to explain why I am considering a 64 bit machine, because it may be
that the information I have regarding 64 bit machines are incorrect. The
following statements are things I believe to be true, but they may not be
true. Please let me know if I really need a 64 bit verses 32 bit. Most of the
work I do is Music creation and video editing.

1. 64 bit machines allow more RAM (over 4GB) so even if I’m running non 64
bit applications; my machine will still run a bit faster.

2. A 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM running 32 bit apps will run slower
than a 64 bit machine with 8GB of ram, running the same 32 bit apps.

3. Windows 7 64 bit needs about 2 GB of RAM. If I want my gadgets and
widgets to run, all while Norton Antivirus and Systemworks Etc… is running, I
should get at least 4GB of RAM above the 2GB needed to run Windows.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and assistance!
Chaz

Ralf Baumhoefer

"Chaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> I am currently planning my next workstation, and am considering a 64bit
> machine. This machine will be prebuilt from Dell/Sony/Whoever, so there
> shouldn't be any driver issues.
> I want to explain why I am considering a 64 bit machine, because it may be
> that the information I have regarding 64 bit machines are incorrect. The
> following statements are things I believe to be true, but they may not be
> true. Please let me know if I really need a 64 bit verses 32 bit. Most of
> the
> work I do is Music creation and video editing.
>
> 1. 64 bit machines allow more RAM (over 4GB) so even if I'm running non 64
> bit applications; my machine will still run a bit faster.

Yes and no

> 2. A 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM running 32 bit apps will run slower
> than a 64 bit machine with 8GB of ram, running the same 32 bit apps.

Definitely no

> 3. Windows 7 64 bit needs about 2 GB of RAM. If I want my gadgets and
> widgets to run, all while Norton Antivirus and Systemworks Etc. is
> running, I
> should get at least 4GB of RAM above the 2GB needed to run Windows.

A 64-bit Windows starts making sense with more than 3GB RAM, since a 32bit
Windows can only handle between 3 and 3.5 GB RAM

> Thanks in advance for your opinions and assistance!
> Chaz

Bogey Man

"Chaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi:
> I am currently planning my next workstation, and am considering a 64bit
> machine. This machine will be prebuilt from Dell/Sony/Whoever, so there
> shouldn’t be any driver issues.
> I want to explain why I am considering a 64 bit machine, because it may be
> that the information I have regarding 64 bit machines are incorrect. The
> following statements are things I believe to be true, but they may not be
> true. Please let me know if I really need a 64 bit verses 32 bit. Most of
> the
> work I do is Music creation and video editing.
>
> 1. 64 bit machines allow more RAM (over 4GB) so even if I’m running non
> 64
> bit applications; my machine will still run a bit faster.

If you have a 64 bit operating system then and your Motherboard supports it
then you can use more than 4 gigs of ram to go along with your 64 bit
processor.

> 2. A 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM running 32 bit apps will run slower
> than a 64 bit machine with 8GB of ram, running the same 32 bit apps.

In my case my 64 bit Quad core computer with 8 gigs of ram runs my 32 bit
applications quicker than my previous computer that had a 32 bit operating
system and 4 gigs of ram.

> 3. Windows 7 64 bit needs about 2 GB of RAM. If I want my gadgets and
> widgets to run, all while Norton Antivirus and Systemworks Etc… is
> running, I
> should get at least 4GB of RAM above the 2GB needed to run Windows.
>
> Thanks in advance for your opinions and assistance!
> Chaz

With 73 processes running, I have just over 6 gigs memory free.

Hope that this helps

Poutnik

says...

> > 2. A 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM running 32 bit apps will run slower
> > than a 64 bit machine with 8GB of ram, running the same 32 bit apps.

> In my case my 64 bit Quad core computer with 8 gigs of ram runs my 32 bit
> applications quicker than my previous computer that had a 32 bit operating
> system and 4 gigs of ram.

The same HW system,
running 32 bit app in WOW64 subsystem of 64bit Windows,
is said very slightly slower ( 0.x % ),
comparing to running 32b app in 32 bit OS.

--
Poutnik
The best depends on how the best is defined.