Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > showing page next day after visit or later

showing page next day after visit or later

Jan C. Faerber

is it possible long time after ie exits to show a pop up?
I think pop ups are 'out' now because everybody uses a pop up blocker
- at least the majority. Well, in most browsers you have to do some
work to disable to pop up blocker.

I just think about a page saying: 'hello - thank you for your visit 3
days ago! Today we have a special offer...'
or 'hi - do you still remember www.basketball.com?'

So I don't look only for pop ups. A whole page can do it.
Not possible? 'Remote' is dangerous?

Jonathan N. Little

Jan C. Faerber wrote:
> is it possible long time after ie exits to show a pop up?
> I think pop ups are 'out' now because everybody uses a pop up blocker
> - at least the majority. Well, in most browsers you have to do some
> work to disable to pop up blocker.
>
> I just think about a page saying: 'hello - thank you for your visit 3
> days ago! Today we have a special offer...'
> or 'hi - do you still remember www.basketball.com?'
>
> So I don't look only for pop ups. A whole page can do it.
> Not possible? 'Remote' is dangerous?

Google "session cookie"

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jan C. Faerber

> Google "session cookie"
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jonathan

now I do so - and find on one of the first pages:

Also called a transient cookie, a cookie that is erased when the user
closes the Web browser. The session cookie is stored in temporary
memory and is not retained after the browser is closed. Session
cookies do not collect information from the userís computer. They
typically will store information in the form of a session
identification that does not personally identify the user.

- - When it is erased, how can it open the page again after ages?

Jonathan N. Little

Jan C. Faerber wrote:

>> Google "session cookie"
>>
>> --
>> Take care,
>>
>> Jonathan

> now I do so - and find on one of the first pages:
>
> Also called a transient cookie, a cookie that is erased when the user
> closes the Web browser. The session cookie is stored in temporary
> memory and is not retained after the browser is closed. Session
> cookies do not collect information from the userís computer. They
> typically will store information in the form of a session
> identification that does not personally identify the user.
>

> - - When it is erased, how can it open the page again after ages?

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=persistent+session+cookie& btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=>

Google Search: persistent session cookie
--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------

On Dec 5, 8:36*pm, "Jonathan N. Little" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=persistent+session+cook... >
>
> Google Search: persistent session cookie

we..,ll may a stupid question.
sometimes you see that a small window opens for some reason.
is it compulsory that this window will be closed when you close the
main window?

Can you still run ie when there is no window open on the task bar?

Jonathan N. Little

Jan C. Faerber wrote:
> On Dec 5, 8:36 pm, "Jonathan N. Little"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=persistent+session+cook... >
>>
>> Google Search: persistent session cookie

> we..,ll may a stupid question.
> sometimes you see that a small window opens for some reason.
> is it compulsory that this window will be closed when you close the
> main window?

It is called a *modal* dialog box.

> Can you still run ie when there is no window open on the task bar?

Don't know, but what does it have to do with HTML?

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Harlan Messinger

Jan C. Faerber wrote:
> is it possible long time after ie exits to show a pop up?
> I think pop ups are 'out' now because everybody uses a pop up blocker
> - at least the majority. Well, in most browsers you have to do some
> work to disable to pop up blocker.
>
> I just think about a page saying: 'hello - thank you for your visit 3
> days ago! Today we have a special offer...'
> or 'hi - do you still remember www.basketball.com?'

The kind of thing you're asking about is called "spam" and "vandalism".
What kind of a "thank you" do you think it is to try to make windows
appear out of nowhere on a person's computer? It's bad enough when
another window pops up *at the time I'm leaving the website*--who does
the website's owner think he is, causing me to have to close yet another
window because he wants me to look at an advertisement? And you want
commercials to start popping up *days later*?

In case I haven't made it clear, the response to anyone who wants to do
this is, "Who the hell do you think you are?"

.._..

"Harlan Messinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jan C. Faerber wrote:
>> is it possible long time after ie exits to show a pop up?
>> I think pop ups are 'out' now because everybody uses a pop up blocker
>> - at least the majority. Well, in most browsers you have to do some
>> work to disable to pop up blocker.
>>
>> I just think about a page saying: 'hello - thank you for your visit 3
>> days ago! Today we have a special offer...'
>> or 'hi - do you still remember www.basketball.com?'

> The kind of thing you're asking about is called "spam" and "vandalism".
> What kind of a "thank you" do you think it is to try to make windows
> appear out of nowhere on a person's computer? It's bad enough when another
> window pops up *at the time I'm leaving the website*--who does the
> website's owner think he is, causing me to have to close yet another
> window because he wants me to look at an advertisement? And you want
> commercials to start popping up *days later*?
>
> In case I haven't made it clear, the response to anyone who wants to do
> this is, "Who the hell do you think you are?"

You could have summed it up; "Go download a Spyware/Adware toolkit,
dickbag"