Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > File and printer sharing - network path is not accessable

File and printer sharing - network path is not accessable

=?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgQw==?=

I have a home network which consists of 2 wireless connections and one wired
connection to a LINKSYS Wireless-G ADSL Gateway. I have no problem connecting
to the internet or using e-mail from any of the machines. However, from my
laptop which is a DELL INSPIRATION 6000 I cannot access shared folders and
printers on the other machines. I get the message: \\ -path- is not
accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.
Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access
permissions. From the two other machines I can see the DELL but if I try to
access it I get the same message. If I use a wired connection everything
works fine. I have spent two days on this and done all the obvious (I think).

Help.
--
Lawrence

Malke

Lawrence C wrote:

> I have a home network which consists of 2 wireless connections and one
> wired connection to a LINKSYS Wireless-G ADSL Gateway. I have no
> problem connecting to the internet or using e-mail from any of the
> machines. However, from my laptop which is a DELL INSPIRATION 6000 I
> cannot access shared folders and printers on the other machines. I get
> the message: \\ -path- is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> this server to find out if you have access permissions. From the two
> other machines I can see the DELL but if I try to access it I get the
> same message. If I use a wired connection everything works fine. I
> have spent two days on this and done all the obvious (I think).
>
> Help.

It sounds like you have a firewall misconfigured on the wireless
connection. What firewall(s) are you using?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

=?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgQw==?=

Norton Internet Security on the DELL laptop. Firewall protection is enabled
on the LYNKSYS router. Windows firewall is turned off.

I am also unable to ping my IP address.
--
Lawrence

"Malke" wrote:

> Lawrence C wrote:
>
> > I have a home network which consists of 2 wireless connections and one
> > wired connection to a LINKSYS Wireless-G ADSL Gateway. I have no
> > problem connecting to the internet or using e-mail from any of the
> > machines. However, from my laptop which is a DELL INSPIRATION 6000 I
> > cannot access shared folders and printers on the other machines. I get
> > the message: \\ -path- is not accessible. You might not have
> > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> > this server to find out if you have access permissions. From the two
> > other machines I can see the DELL but if I try to access it I get the
> > same message. If I use a wired connection everything works fine. I
> > have spent two days on this and done all the obvious (I think).
> >
> > Help.

> It sounds like you have a firewall misconfigured on the wireless
> connection. What firewall(s) are you using?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?TGF3cmVuY2UgQw==?=

I have now turned off the Norton Firewall and everything is working. Thanks.
--
Lawrence

"Malke" wrote:

> Lawrence C wrote:
>
> > I have a home network which consists of 2 wireless connections and one
> > wired connection to a LINKSYS Wireless-G ADSL Gateway. I have no
> > problem connecting to the internet or using e-mail from any of the
> > machines. However, from my laptop which is a DELL INSPIRATION 6000 I
> > cannot access shared folders and printers on the other machines. I get
> > the message: \\ -path- is not accessible. You might not have
> > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
> > this server to find out if you have access permissions. From the two
> > other machines I can see the DELL but if I try to access it I get the
> > same message. If I use a wired connection everything works fine. I
> > have spent two days on this and done all the obvious (I think).
> >
> > Help.

> It sounds like you have a firewall misconfigured on the wireless
> connection. What firewall(s) are you using?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Lawrence C wrote:

> I have now turned off the Norton Firewall and everything is working.
> Thanks.

You're welcome. However, you shouldn't turn off the firewall; you should
just configure it properly to allow lan traffic. Look in the program's
Help files for instructions how to do this.

Malke