Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > shopping

shopping

~~Alan~~

I am looking for a device similar to a MiFi but not for a wireless cell
phone network.

I am in a conference room with only one (working) jack. Or I am at a
friend's house who has wireless encrypted, but for the life of them can not
remember the encryption key/password. Their router is in a room where the
action is not so I can not just plug in.

I can use an access point but I'm actually looking for something smaller and
more portable that can even run on batteries. This device would either plug
into an existing single network drop or connect to a PC via USB and make use
of ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or both (not at the same time, of
course).

Does such a device exist yet?

~alan

~~Alan~~

OK, so I found the D-Link DWL-G730AP. Does anyone have any opinion about
this device?

"~~Alan~~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hfdko3$k21$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am looking for a device similar to a MiFi but not for a wireless cell
> phone network.
>
> I am in a conference room with only one (working) jack. Or I am at a
> friend's house who has wireless encrypted, but for the life of them can
> not remember the encryption key/password. Their router is in a room where
> the action is not so I can not just plug in.
>
> I can use an access point but I'm actually looking for something smaller
> and more portable that can even run on batteries. This device would
> either plug into an existing single network drop or connect to a PC via
> USB and make use of ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) or both (not at the
> same time, of course).
>
> Does such a device exist yet?
>
> ~alan

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
The friend can one time hard reset his Router Wireless Encryption is Off.
There after they can put a new pass phrase an this time write it on the base
of he Router.
As for making a USB Wireless acting a an Access Point you can try this,
http://connectify.me/
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).