Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Re: Linux usage hits 24-month low

Re: Linux usage hits 24-month low

eyes

impossible wrote:
> Oh, dear. How will the Larry D'Loserites explain this?
>
> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
>
> Larry will hunker down and say nothing, hoping the bad news simply fades
> from memory.
>
> ConTheNations will claim that declining usage is actually a good thing
> because the nixophiliac user base will be purer that way.
>
> Peter The Whiner will insist that this is a lie planted by Microsoft
> agents.
>
> Allistar will remind us that he still uses linux (sometimes).
>
> Ms Penguin will chant a verse from the Book of Richard Stallman.
>
> Sailor Scam will point out that usage of Windows 98 is also declining.

Our household recently swapped out one XP for an Ubuntu install. Entire
thing has gone smoothly. The wife is playing Sims 3 without any problems
via Wine. The 3 year old can load up Playhouse Disney (online), and do
her games/stories.

I was very tempted to install Linux on my main XP machine after avast
decided everything was a virus. I'm tired of running all of the required
security products for a Windows install, with all of the overhead they need.

Sailor Sam

impossible wrote:

> "eyes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hfcndr$i0q$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> impossible wrote:
>>> Oh, dear. How will the Larry D'Loserites explain this?
>>>
>>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
>>>
>>> Larry will hunker down and say nothing, hoping the bad news simply
>>> fades from memory.
>>>
>>> ConTheNations will claim that declining usage is actually a good
>>> thing because the nixophiliac user base will be purer that way.
>>>
>>> Peter The Whiner will insist that this is a lie planted by Microsoft
>>> agents.
>>>
>>> Allistar will remind us that he still uses linux (sometimes).
>>>
>>> Ms Penguin will chant a verse from the Book of Richard Stallman.
>>>
>>> Sailor Scam will point out that usage of Windows 98 is also declining.
>>>

>> Our household recently swapped out one XP for an Ubuntu install.
>> Entire thing has gone smoothly. The wife is playing Sims 3 without any
>> problems via Wine. The 3 year old can load up Playhouse Disney
>> (online), and do her games/stories.
>>
>> I was very tempted to install Linux on my main XP machine after avast
>> decided everything was a virus. I'm tired of running all of the
>> required security products for a Windows install, with all of the
>> overhead they need.

> Like Allistar, you suffer from the misconception that everything is
> about you.

What point is a computer, if it's not the servant of the user?

Sailor Sam

impossible wrote:

> "Sailor Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hfcu7j$5tg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> impossible wrote:
>>>
>>> "eyes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hfcndr$i0q$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Like Allistar, you suffer from the misconception that everything is
>>> about you.

>> What point is a computer, if it's not the servant of the user?

> Thousands of users who have abandoned linux are asking themselves that
> very question.

So you agree, it's not a misconception to think it's all about them.

AD.

On Dec 5, 5:43*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Like Allistar, you suffer from the misconception that everything is about
> you.

Don't worry, everyone else realises that everything is really just
about you (and your child support squabbles with Larry)

--
Cheers
Anton

Sailor Sam

impossible wrote:

> "Sailor Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hfdvhl$d01$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> impossible wrote:
>>>
>>> "Sailor Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hfd4fl$lgm$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> It's a misconception to think that a personal anecdote constitutes an
>>> argument for or against **anything**.

>> About as trustworthy as the statistical data you have presented thus far.
>>
>>> The data tells us that more users are opting for Windows and Mac OsX,
>>> while fewer are choosing Linux.

>> The data tells us nothing of the sort. There are too many confounding
>> variables within the data to draw such a conclusion.
>>
>>> You can stick your head in the sand and pretend that, just because
>>> you have a mate who's still using Linux, Linux usage has not in fact
>>> hit a 24-month low. But outside the Larry D'Loserite sect, no one
>>> will think that's an attractive pose.

>> Linux usage might be up, or down, but we will never know from these
>> figures.

> When you whistle past the graveyard, what tune do you prefer?

The one called 'reliable science'

AD.

On Dec 6, 3:53*am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A signature Larry D'Loserite post always begins by hacking to death somone's
> original post and then making a lame reply to a sentence ripped
> out-of-context.

You're just ****ed that Larry doesn't listen to you any more, and
instead you had to take it out on someone silly enough to try actually
adding something to your 'conversation'.

> Thank you for illustrating that despicable technique -- but,
> for the record, I've restored the original.

Oh no, not the original! Your excessive quoting has defeated me!

> This is a thread about Linux usage hitting a 24-month low. Anything to say
> on that topic, ADolt, or are you just here to make a fool of yourself?

Nah, I'm just here for the abuse. It's about the only thing going in
nz.comp these days.

--
Cheers
Anton

victor

AD. wrote:
> On Dec 6, 3:53 am, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> A signature Larry D'Loserite post always begins by hacking to death somone's
>> original post and then making a lame reply to a sentence ripped
>> out-of-context.

> You're just ****ed that Larry doesn't listen to you any more, and
> instead you had to take it out on someone silly enough to try actually
> adding something to your 'conversation'.
>
>> Thank you for illustrating that despicable technique -- but,
>> for the record, I've restored the original.

> Oh no, not the original! Your excessive quoting has defeated me!
>
>> This is a thread about Linux usage hitting a 24-month low. Anything to say
>> on that topic, ADolt, or are you just here to make a fool of yourself?

> Nah, I'm just here for the abuse. It's about the only thing going in
> nz.comp these days.

Its a shame really that its not possible to have a conversation about
what site stats indicate.
For most people changing the operating system on the laptop they bought
is as conceivable as changing the program that runs their car.
Its not because they want to run Matlab or AutoCAD.

Sailor Sam

impossible wrote:

> "Sailor Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:hfe9i4$2kl$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> impossible wrote:
>>>
>>> "Sailor Sam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:hfdvhl$d01$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

>>> When you whistle past the graveyard, what tune do you prefer?

>> The one called 'reliable science'

> Undoubtedly a hit in the faith-based pseudo-scientific Church of Larry
> DLoserites.

There's only one person peddling faith based pseudo science, and that's
the one claiming these stats mean more than they do.

victor

whoisthis wrote:
> In article <hfeffe$k4f$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,
> victor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> AD. wrote:
>>> You're just ****ed that Larry doesn't listen to you any more, and
>>> instead you had to take it out on someone silly enough to try actually
>>> adding something to your 'conversation'.

>>> Oh no, not the original! Your excessive quoting has defeated me!

>>> Nah, I'm just here for the abuse. It's about the only thing going in
>>> nz.comp these days.
>>>

>> Its a shame really that its not possible to have a conversation about
>> what site stats indicate.
>> For most people changing the operating system on the laptop they bought
>> is as conceivable as changing the program that runs their car.
>> Its not because they want to run Matlab or AutoCAD.

> For me it is.
> I use Windows for CAD work because it is the only platform that Altium
> runs on. However at home and for everything else I run Macs (I actually
> run Altium inside a Parallels VM ).

Sure, I use a variety of operating systems and applications on different
PCs for different reasons, but most domestic users will buy a Windows
laptop from a chainstore and use the browser for google, facebook,
yahoomail etc, AutoCAD and Matlab exist for Windows because the small
percentage of PC users that have a use for them are likely to have
access to a Windows PC, not the other way around.
The fact that you have to run Windows on your Mac for a niche program as
I do for some similar apps proves my point, niche apps are written for
the commodity OS. Which is currently Windows XP despite Vista's three
years on the market.
impossible has cherrypicked his data from w3 counter, a sample of 30000
sites who voluntarily install their link. His previous trolls used
Netapps which shows Linux same as ever at ~1%
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/12...re_statistics/
The world internet population is 1 billion on 2008 figures, so thousands
giving up on Linux won't affect the 10 million base figure much.

Gordon

On 2009-12-05, AD. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Dec 5, 5:43*pm, "impossible" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Like Allistar, you suffer from the misconception that everything is about
>> you.

> Don't worry, everyone else realises that everything is really just
> about you (and your child support squabbles with Larry)

Oh yes! BABYMASH, where are you? No not the child support squabbles bit.