Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 7 Professional Backup Utility and Task Scheduler

Reply
Thread Tools

Windows 7 Professional Backup Utility and Task Scheduler

 
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2009
I have functionality questions about the subject utilities but don't want to
post them if this is not the right newsgroup. If it is OK to post here let
me know. Otherwise, I appreciate being directed to the correct Microsoft
public newsgroup. There doesn't seem to be a specific Windows 7 newsgroup.

--
Thank You

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2009
There are no Win7 newsgroups. Microsoft, in its infinite wisdom, has decided
that users prefer web forums, so it no longer supports new newsgroups.
However, that being said, we're happy to provide peer to peer support here
for all 64-bit versions of Windows, including Windows 7. So ask away.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have functionality questions about the subject utilities but don't want
>to post them if this is not the right newsgroup. If it is OK to post here
>let me know. Otherwise, I appreciate being directed to the correct
>Microsoft public newsgroup. There doesn't seem to be a specific Windows 7
>newsgroup.
>
> --
> Thank You


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jeff Gaines
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2009
On 04/12/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Richard
wrote:

>I have functionality questions about the subject utilities but don't want
>to post them if this is not the right newsgroup. If it is OK to post here
>let me know. Otherwise, I appreciate being directed to the correct
>Microsoft public newsgroup. There doesn't seem to be a specific Windows 7
>newsgroup.


There is:
alt.windows7.general

which is quite lively - not carried by the MSFT servers though.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
(Bill Gates, 1981)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2009
First of all thanks to David B. and Charlie Russel for the invite to this
newsgroup and to Jeff Gaines for pointing me to a web-based group.

OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit

I'd like to think that my issue is simple.

OBJECTIVES:

Create multiple backup scenarios as follows:

1. Complete system backup to my external hard drive weekly. NOTE: This has
been completed, and works great, using the Windows 7 Backup and Restore
Utility.

2. Backup of all Libraries (documents, music, pictures & videos) daily. Can't
figure out how to accomplish this task.

PROBLEMS:

1. It appears that the Backup and Restore Utility can only handle 1
scenario. As indicated above, I've already used that for my complete system
backup.

2. I thought that I could accomplish scenario 2 using the Task Scheduler
Utility. However, Microsoft has seen fit to make this once simple utility
very complicated. (Charlie, it was probably the same person that made the
decision to replace newsgroups with web forums). While not a computer
novice, I have never been into "scripting" and "strings", etc. I'm as good
at that as I am at golfing (EM, don't go there).

3. In reviewing the Task Scheduler Utility, I do not see that "Backup.exe"
is available when browsing for "Start a Program". In Windows 7, it must be
named something else. Also, I don't know where I would indicate the "source"
and "destination" locations.

RESOLUTION:

1. Can someone help me in accomplishing scenario 2 using Task Scheduler, or

2. Instruct me how to accomplish my objectives using other Windows 7 tools.
I really don't want to purchase alternative software or use multiple
applications, requiring me to remember what application is backing up which
sets of files.

If I haven't provided sufficient information or have been unclear, please
let me know.

--
Thank You


"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have functionality questions about the subject utilities but don't want
> to post them if this is not the right newsgroup. If it is OK to post here
> let me know. Otherwise, I appreciate being directed to the correct
> Microsoft public newsgroup. There doesn't seem to be a specific Windows 7
> newsgroup.
>
> --
> Thank You


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Gaines
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2009
On 04/12/2009 in message <#(E-Mail Removed)> Richard
wrote:

>1. Can someone help me in accomplishing scenario 2 using Task Scheduler, or
>
>2. Instruct me how to accomplish my objectives using other Windows 7
>tools. I really don't want to purchase alternative software or use
>multiple applications, requiring me to remember what application is
>backing up which sets of files.


Good old XCOPY is still around and working well

A batch file with:
REM Send To
xcopy "c:\Documents and Settings\JeffWS\SendTo\*.*" "d:\PData\SendTo\" /D
/S /E /C /I /Q /F /H /R /V /Y > "C:\Temp\SendTo.log"

Change the source and destination (and log file destination if
appropriate) and run it from the task scheduler.

NB - If you run XCOPY /? it will provide help with the flags.


--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
(President Hayes speaking to Alexander Graham Bell on the invention of the
telephone)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-04-2009
Jerry,

Thanks for the quick response. XCOPY will "copy" the files from the "source"
to the "destination". I really don't want to do that because of the number
of files that are on the source drive and the time it takes to complete. I
would rather use a "backup" method which is faster and takes less disc
space. I did notice that Task Scheduler has "robocopy.exe" which I would
think does the same thing as "XCOPY". I could use that rather than writing a
batch file, however, I would still have the problem of knowing how to enter
the "source" and "destination" locations into the Task Scheduler forms. I'd
much prefer a "backup" solution. If I went with a "copy" solution, I could
just use "drag and drop" before I go to bed each night.
--
Thank You

"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 04/12/2009 in message <#(E-Mail Removed)> Richard
> wrote:
>
>>1. Can someone help me in accomplishing scenario 2 using Task Scheduler,
>>or
>>
>>2. Instruct me how to accomplish my objectives using other Windows 7
>>tools. I really don't want to purchase alternative software or use
>>multiple applications, requiring me to remember what application is
>>backing up which sets of files.

>
> Good old XCOPY is still around and working well
>
> A batch file with:
> REM Send To
> xcopy "c:\Documents and Settings\JeffWS\SendTo\*.*" "d:\PData\SendTo\" /D
> /S /E /C /I /Q /F /H /R /V /Y > "C:\Temp\SendTo.log"
>
> Change the source and destination (and log file destination if
> appropriate) and run it from the task scheduler.
>
> NB - If you run XCOPY /? it will provide help with the flags.
>
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
> (President Hayes speaking to Alexander Graham Bell on the invention of the
> telephone)


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2009
Well, the problem is that Windows now uses a full image backup, as you've
discovered. To really accomplish what you're asking for, you pretty much
have to go to some other third party solution. Or, even better, my personal
favourite, Windows Home Server. This is really where WHS shines. It does a
full backup every night, but ONLY backs up the files that have changed. And
it has a full image of your HD so it can restore in minutes, versus hours.
And is completely and totally painless to set up. WHS has other features
that can be quite useful, and a whole host of add-ins to give additional
functionality. But to me, where it really shines above all the rest is as a
Windows client backup solution. And I've written a whole heck of a lot of
backup chapters in the last 19 years.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jerry,
>
> Thanks for the quick response. XCOPY will "copy" the files from the
> "source" to the "destination". I really don't want to do that because of
> the number of files that are on the source drive and the time it takes to
> complete. I would rather use a "backup" method which is faster and takes
> less disc space. I did notice that Task Scheduler has "robocopy.exe" which
> I would think does the same thing as "XCOPY". I could use that rather than
> writing a batch file, however, I would still have the problem of knowing
> how to enter the "source" and "destination" locations into the Task
> Scheduler forms. I'd much prefer a "backup" solution. If I went with a
> "copy" solution, I could just use "drag and drop" before I go to bed each
> night.
> --
> Thank You
>
> "Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On 04/12/2009 in message <#(E-Mail Removed)> Richard
>> wrote:
>>
>>>1. Can someone help me in accomplishing scenario 2 using Task Scheduler,
>>>or
>>>
>>>2. Instruct me how to accomplish my objectives using other Windows 7
>>>tools. I really don't want to purchase alternative software or use
>>>multiple applications, requiring me to remember what application is
>>>backing up which sets of files.

>>
>> Good old XCOPY is still around and working well
>>
>> A batch file with:
>> REM Send To
>> xcopy "c:\Documents and Settings\JeffWS\SendTo\*.*" "d:\PData\SendTo\" /D
>> /S /E /C /I /Q /F /H /R /V /Y > "C:\Temp\SendTo.log"
>>
>> Change the source and destination (and log file destination if
>> appropriate) and run it from the task scheduler.
>>
>> NB - If you run XCOPY /? it will provide help with the flags.
>>
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
>> That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
>> (President Hayes speaking to Alexander Graham Bell on the invention of
>> the telephone)

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Gaines
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2009
On 04/12/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Richard
wrote:

>Thanks for the quick response. XCOPY will "copy" the files from the
>"source" to the "destination". I really don't want to do that because of
>the number of files that are on the source drive and the time it takes to
>complete. I would rather use a "backup" method which is faster and takes
>less disc space. I did notice that Task Scheduler has "robocopy.exe" which
>I would think does the same thing as "XCOPY". I could use that rather than
>writing a batch file, however, I would still have the problem of knowing
>how to enter the "source" and "destination" locations into the Task
>Scheduler forms. I'd much prefer a "backup" solution. If I went with a
>"copy" solution, I could just use "drag and drop" before I go to bed each
>night.


The / D flag means that XCOPY will only copy files with a later time
stamp, it won't copy everything after the first run

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those
who can't.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2009
And the /m flag uses the archive attribute to only copy those files that
have had the archive attribute set. The archive attribute is on by default,
and is cleared by many backup programs, including the using xcopy with the
/m flag. Or you can use the /a flag, which copies the same files as /m, but
does not clear the attribute flag. Using /a gives you a "differential"
backup since the last full backup. Using /m gives you an "incremental"
since the last incremental or full.

It would be pretty easy to define a little batch file for you if we knew
exactly what you needed.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel




"Jeff Gaines" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 04/12/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Richard
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the quick response. XCOPY will "copy" the files from the
>>"source" to the "destination". I really don't want to do that because of
>>the number of files that are on the source drive and the time it takes to
>>complete. I would rather use a "backup" method which is faster and takes
>>less disc space. I did notice that Task Scheduler has "robocopy.exe" which
>>I would think does the same thing as "XCOPY". I could use that rather than
>>writing a batch file, however, I would still have the problem of knowing
>>how to enter the "source" and "destination" locations into the Task
>>Scheduler forms. I'd much prefer a "backup" solution. If I went with a
>>"copy" solution, I could just use "drag and drop" before I go to bed each
>>night.

>
> The / D flag means that XCOPY will only copy files with a later time
> stamp, it won't copy everything after the first run
>
> --
> Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
> There are 3 types of people in this world. Those who can count, and those
> who can't.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jeff Gaines
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-05-2009
On 05/12/2009 in message <(E-Mail Removed)> Charlie
Russel - MVP wrote:

>And the /m flag uses the archive attribute to only copy those files that
>have had the archive attribute set. The archive attribute is on by
>default, and is cleared by many backup programs, including the using xcopy
>with the /m flag. Or you can use the /a flag, which copies the same files
>as /m, but does not clear the attribute flag. Using /a gives you a
>"differential" backup since the last full backup. Using /m gives you an
>"incremental" since the last incremental or full.
>
>It would be pretty easy to define a little batch file for you if we knew
>exactly what you needed.


Indeed, XCOPY is actually a very powerful bit of kit

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
There is absolutely no substitute for a genuine lack of preparation
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dotnet scheduler like the Windows "Schedued Tasks" scheduler? Codemonkey ASP .Net 8 06-10-2011 10:53 AM
Re: How Do You remove the Windows Backup Utility in Windows XP Professional Dr. Bill Computer Support 0 03-31-2005 09:01 PM
How to backup registry without backup utility The Babaloughesian Computer Support 8 02-27-2005 04:11 AM
Windows Task Scheduler David Computer Support 0 10-07-2003 02:06 AM
windows xp home edition task scheduler problems rtdos \(status@rtdos.info\) Computer Support 0 07-15-2003 04:07 AM



Advertisments