Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > having problem getting scanner working in xp mode

having problem getting scanner working in xp mode

charles kuchar

Does xp mode work in 64 bits if win7 is 64? i couldn't figure out how to
see what it was set at.

the problem i am trying to solve is my pana-vue scanner to convert old 35mm
slides to digital. i can get the scanner working with win7 and have
downloaded the new driver from the website but when i view a slide, the top
of the slide is stable but as the scan goes down, the picture is changing
tilt every couple of seconds, probably trying to sync. so i thought maybe
XP would work better. the install program has 32 bit and 64 bit drivers and
i installed the 64 bit drivers but can't get it to work. looked at the
device manager and the device was missing drivers. got an error trying to
install any of the drivers the browser showed on an automatic search for
drivers... good think i am retired and have lots of time to experiment...
charlie

charles kuchar

object: USB Camera

An error occurred during the installation of the device

The class installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this
device.

"charles kuchar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does xp mode work in 64 bits if win7 is 64? i couldn't figure out how to
> see what it was set at.
>
> the problem i am trying to solve is my pana-vue scanner to convert old
> 35mm slides to digital. i can get the scanner working with win7 and have
> downloaded the new driver from the website but when i view a slide, the
> top of the slide is stable but as the scan goes down, the picture is
> changing tilt every couple of seconds, probably trying to sync. so i
> thought maybe XP would work better. the install program has 32 bit and 64
> bit drivers and i installed the 64 bit drivers but can't get it to work.
> looked at the device manager and the device was missing drivers. got an
> error trying to install any of the drivers the browser showed on an
> automatic search for drivers... good think i am retired and have lots of
> time to experiment... charlie

Richard Urban

XP Mode only supports 32 bit guest operating systems so you need to install
the 32 bit drivers for your scanner. My older Canon scanner works fine under
Windows XP Mode.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"charles kuchar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does xp mode work in 64 bits if win7 is 64? i couldn't figure out how to
> see what it was set at.
>
> the problem i am trying to solve is my pana-vue scanner to convert old
> 35mm slides to digital. i can get the scanner working with win7 and have
> downloaded the new driver from the website but when i view a slide, the
> top of the slide is stable but as the scan goes down, the picture is
> changing tilt every couple of seconds, probably trying to sync. so i
> thought maybe XP would work better. the install program has 32 bit and 64
> bit drivers and i installed the 64 bit drivers but can't get it to work.
> looked at the device manager and the device was missing drivers. got an
> error trying to install any of the drivers the browser showed on an
> automatic search for drivers... good think i am retired and have lots of
> time to experiment... charlie

Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 05:51:32 -0600, "charles kuchar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does xp mode work in 64 bits if win7 is 64? i couldn't figure out how to
>see what it was set at.
>
>the problem i am trying to solve is my pana-vue scanner to convert old 35mm
>slides to digital. i can get the scanner working with win7 and have
>downloaded the new driver from the website but when i view a slide, the top
>of the slide is stable but as the scan goes down, the picture is changing
>tilt every couple of seconds, probably trying to sync. so i thought maybe
>XP would work better. the install program has 32 bit and 64 bit drivers and
>i installed the 64 bit drivers but can't get it to work. looked at the
>device manager and the device was missing drivers. got an error trying to
>install any of the drivers the browser showed on an automatic search for
>drivers... good think i am retired and have lots of time to experiment...
>charlie

It is my understanding that the XP Mode is 32 bit.

I have an Epson 2450 for which there are no 64-bit drivers. I have it
installed and working properly with its 32-bit TWAIN driver in XP Mode (with a
64-bit Windows 7 installation)
--ron

Carlos

Charles:
XP mode works only is 32-bit, both in Win 7 x86 and x64.
If you want XP x64 running in Win 7 x64 you need two things:
- A virtual machine program, like the freeware virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org)
- A (legal) copy of XP x64
Carlos

"charles kuchar" wrote:

> Does xp mode work in 64 bits if win7 is 64? i couldn't figure out how to
> see what it was set at.
>
> the problem i am trying to solve is my pana-vue scanner to convert old 35mm
> slides to digital. i can get the scanner working with win7 and have
> downloaded the new driver from the website but when i view a slide, the top
> of the slide is stable but as the scan goes down, the picture is changing
> tilt every couple of seconds, probably trying to sync. so i thought maybe
> XP would work better. the install program has 32 bit and 64 bit drivers and
> i installed the 64 bit drivers but can't get it to work. looked at the
> device manager and the device was missing drivers. got an error trying to
> install any of the drivers the browser showed on an automatic search for
> drivers... good think i am retired and have lots of time to experiment...
> charlie
>

> .

charles kuchar

it still doesn't work the way I want it to because the scans are not stable
but now I can see the scanner. 32 bit software was the key. even though I
am running 64 bit win7 I didn't realize xp was 32 bit. now that I have the
original stuff working, the next step is installing the software update from
pana-vue. thanks. charlie

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charles:
> XP mode works only is 32-bit, both in Win 7 x86 and x64.
> If you want XP x64 running in Win 7 x64 you need two things:
> - A virtual machine program, like the freeware virtualbox
> (www.virtualbox.org)
> - A (legal) copy of XP x64
> Carlos
>
> "charles kuchar" wrote:
>
>> Does xp mode work in 64 bits if win7 is 64? i couldn't figure out how to
>> see what it was set at.
>>
>> the problem i am trying to solve is my pana-vue scanner to convert old
>> 35mm
>> slides to digital. i can get the scanner working with win7 and have
>> downloaded the new driver from the website but when i view a slide, the
>> top
>> of the slide is stable but as the scan goes down, the picture is changing
>> tilt every couple of seconds, probably trying to sync. so i thought
>> maybe
>> XP would work better. the install program has 32 bit and 64 bit drivers
>> and
>> i installed the 64 bit drivers but can't get it to work. looked at the
>> device manager and the device was missing drivers. got an error trying
>> install any of the drivers the browser showed on an automatic search for
>> drivers... good think i am retired and have lots of time to
>> experiment...
>> charlie
>>

>> .

Dominic Payer

And also, unless you use an old version of Virtualbox, hardware
virtualisation.

On 04/12/2009 12:44, Carlos wrote:
> Charles:
> XP mode works only is 32-bit, both in Win 7 x86 and x64.
> If you want XP x64 running in Win 7 x64 you need two things:
> - A virtual machine program, like the freeware virtualbox (www.virtualbox.org)
> - A (legal) copy of XP x64
> Carlos
>
> "charles kuchar" wrote:
>
>> Does xp mode work in 64 bits if win7 is 64? i couldn't figure out how to
>> see what it was set at.
>>
>> the problem i am trying to solve is my pana-vue scanner to convert old 35mm
>> slides to digital. i can get the scanner working with win7 and have
>> downloaded the new driver from the website but when i view a slide, the top
>> of the slide is stable but as the scan goes down, the picture is changing
>> tilt every couple of seconds, probably trying to sync. so i thought maybe
>> XP would work better. the install program has 32 bit and 64 bit drivers and
>> i installed the 64 bit drivers but can't get it to work. looked at the
>> device manager and the device was missing drivers. got an error trying to
>> install any of the drivers the browser showed on an automatic search for
>> drivers... good think i am retired and have lots of time to experiment...
>> charlie
>>

>> .

Carlos

Dominic,