Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Take a class or study on my own?

Take a class or study on my own?

Kevin

I'm looking to get my MCSE (might go for my MCSA first) to help find a job.
How hard is it to get the certificate without doing a class or bootcamp? I
don't really have a lot of extra cash right now so I was thinking about going
at it the cheaper way and just buying the books and studying from there. I
have 7 years experience as a Systems Administrator so I think I should be ok
but just wanted to get other opinions.

Thanks!

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

"Kevin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm looking to get my MCSE (might go for my MCSA first) to help find a
> job.
> How hard is it to get the certificate without doing a class or bootcamp?

That depends on:
[a] Your relevant experience with the product(s), and
[b] Your ability to self-teach and comprehensively absorb the material, and
[c] Your discpline in properly setting up and working through *all* of the
exercises contained in the training materials.

> I don't really have a lot of extra cash right now so I was thinking about
> going
> at it the cheaper way and just buying the books and studying from there. I
> have 7 years experience as a Systems Administrator so I think I should be
> ok
> but just wanted to get other opinions.

Seven years is a big chunk of change. Truth is, the majority of cert
candidates go the self-study route, in fact, I might be so bold as to
suggest taht those who invest in classroom training are the ones trying to
get a "quick cert", and don't actually have the experience to go with the
cert in the first place. (Actually, that's not entirely fair, as *some*
people do learn better with instructor-led training rather than self-study,
and those persons should not be maligned for their choice of training
methodologies.)

Go for it!

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA, MCSA