Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Bridged wireless connection not working

Bridged wireless connection not working

Slaz

I am running a Hp laptop with Windows XP Home. I am attempting to bridge
my wireless connection with my Local Area connection. It shows that it
is bridged. However, I can not get a internet connection. I do believe
the problem I have is that I do not have file sharing enabled. The
reason; I can't find where on this computer I can do that. Any
suggestions?? Is that even my problem??

James Egan

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:17:33 GMT, Slaz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running a Hp laptop with Windows XP Home. I am attempting to bridge
>my wireless connection with my Local Area connection. It shows that it
>is bridged. However, I can not get a internet connection. I do believe
>the problem I have is that I do not have file sharing enabled. The
>reason; I can't find where on this computer I can do that. Any
>suggestions?? Is that even my problem??

Your internet connection isn't dependent on file sharing being
enabled. What do you need the bridge for? Are you trying to supply
Internet to other computers with ICS? More details required.

Jim.

Slaz

Presently I have three computers sharing one internet connection. My
internet arrives to my home via a DSL connection to a wireless
modem/hub. My main computer and my wife's computer are hard wired. My
laptops use a wireless connection. I am trying to set up one of the
laptops so that it shares it's connection with a gaming device. I
thought I would connect such a device to the laptops "Local area
connection" via a cable; bridge the wireless connection and the local
area connection of the laptop and I would be a go! However; appears to
be easier said than done. When I bridge; I loose the internet connection.
One laptop has Windows XP Home. It bridges; but looses it's internet
connection.
The other laptop has Windows Vista; when I attempt to bridge it; I get
an error message that tells me I can't bridge a connection the uses
Internet sharing!
My main computer has Windows 7. I will try with that and see what
happens. Me thinks that I will get the same error message as the Vista!

James Egan wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 02:17:33 GMT, Slaz<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am running a Hp laptop with Windows XP Home. I am attempting to bridge
>> my wireless connection with my Local Area connection. It shows that it
>> is bridged. However, I can not get a internet connection. I do believe
>> the problem I have is that I do not have file sharing enabled. The
>> reason; I can't find where on this computer I can do that. Any
>> suggestions?? Is that even my problem??

> Your internet connection isn't dependent on file sharing being
> enabled. What do you need the bridge for? Are you trying to supply
> Internet to other computers with ICS? More details required.
>

> Jim.

James Egan

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 13:21:37 GMT, Slaz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Presently I have three computers sharing one internet connection. My
>internet arrives to my home via a DSL connection to a wireless
>modem/hub. My main computer and my wife's computer are hard wired. My
>laptops use a wireless connection. I am trying to set up one of the
>laptops so that it shares it's connection with a gaming device. I
>thought I would connect such a device to the laptops "Local area
>connection" via a cable; bridge the wireless connection and the local
>area connection of the laptop and I would be a go! However; appears to
>be easier said than done. When I bridge; I loose the internet connection.
>One laptop has Windows XP Home. It bridges; but looses it's internet
>connection.
>The other laptop has Windows Vista; when I attempt to bridge it; I get
>an error message that tells me I can't bridge a connection the uses
>Internet sharing!
>My main computer has Windows 7. I will try with that and see what
>happens. Me thinks that I will get the same error message as the Vista!

You don't need to enable internet connection sharing since the router
is already sharing the connection. The bridge you are setting up
should be sufficient to establish a connection between a wired device
connected to the laptop LAN port and the wireless router. Here's some
instructions for xp.
Sometimes bridging can be a bit stubborn and an equivalent workable
solution can be achieved through routing but it's a bit harder to
configure.

Jim

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
When you Bridge in a network that has already one Router, there is No need
for ICS, once the Bridge is done the Bridged devices should get an IP from
the Router.
However you are dealing with Game box and it might be that it is Not
flexible enough to Bridge.
Try to set the wire NIC on the Laptop and the Box, to a static IPs that is
Not of the same subnet as the main Router.
I.e., if main Router is 192.168.1.x Box and laptop's wire NICs should be
192.168.20.x
Make sure that there is a valid connection between the Box and the laptop,
only then Bridge in the Laptop the Wire NIC to the Wireless.
The Laptop must run a version of Windows that supports Bridging.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"Slaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I am running a Hp laptop with Windows XP Home. I am attempting to bridge my
>wireless connection with my Local Area connection. It shows that it is
>bridged. However, I can not get a internet connection. I do believe the
>problem I have is that I do not have file sharing enabled. The reason; I
>can't find where on this computer I can do that. Any suggestions?? Is that
>even my problem??

Slaz

Thanks for your prompt replies and info. I must admit that I gave up
after about six hours of reading and experimenting. I went out and spent
$ on a Netgear print server. It took a bit to get set up but it is
working fine right now.
Thanks again.