Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > SSD HD

SSD HD

Kue2

Keeping in mind I want to install windows 7 64.
How should I format an ssd hd (crucial 256GB) &
can I partition an SSD? Would it be best to let Windows 7
format the drive when I install Windows 7 64?
I understand that I need a kit to install an ssd hd in
a desktop pc.

Carlos

Hugh,
Windows 7 has all the required intelligence for formatting and partitioning
your SSD.
Moreover it introduces several improvements as compared to Vista.
Considering an SSD is not a HD, there's no need for disk defragmentation,
Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching.
The not-need (have I invented a new word?) for those "goodies" adds to the
performance boost offered by solid state technology.
Grab a glass of that whiskey (the one in your e-mail) and take a look here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...-ssd,7717.html
Carlos

"Kue2" wrote:

> Keeping in mind I want to install windows 7 64.
> How should I format an ssd hd (crucial 256GB) &
> can I partition an SSD? Would it be best to let Windows 7
> format the drive when I install Windows 7 64?
> I understand that I need a kit to install an ssd hd in
> a desktop pc.

Dave Warren

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> Carlos
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>Hugh,
>Windows 7 has all the required intelligence for formatting and partitioning
>your SSD.
>Moreover it introduces several improvements as compared to Vista.
>Considering an SSD is not a HD, there's no need for disk defragmentation,
>Superfetch, ReadyBoost, as well as boot and application launch prefetching.
>The not-need (have I invented a new word?) for those "goodies" adds to the
>performance boost offered by solid state technology.
>Grab a glass of that whiskey (the one in your e-mail) and take a look here:
>http://www.tomshardware.com/news/win...-ssd,7717.html

Superfetch is still useful, as is most disk caching techniques. SSDs
are fast, but they aren't nearly as fast as system RAM.

ReadyBoost is obviously not useful, nor is defragmenting in the vast
majority of cases (and even when it might yield a performance boost,
until the TRIM situation gets worked out, it's likely not beneficial,
and worse, may severely shorten your drive's lifespan if done too
frequently -- In other words, don't defragment)

Tom

On Dec 1, 6:18*pm, "Kue2" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Keeping in mind I want to install windows 7 64.
> How should I format an ssd hd (crucial 256GB) &
> can I partition an SSD? Would it be best to let Windows 7
> format the drive when I install Windows 7 64?
> I understand that I need a kit to install an ssd hd in
> a desktop pc.

Windows 7 will do everything you need. As a side note, you'll be blown
away by the speed of those drives. I have an IntelSD, and it smokes.
Opening up Firefox with eevery little plugin add to it, is almost
instantaneous. On Vista or XP, it took nearly 30 seconds in some cases
for FF to open fresh. Gaming is off the charts, almost zero load times.