Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How to move Windows XP COA from one case to another?

How to move Windows XP COA from one case to another?

~misfit~

As per the subject line.

I'm going to sell one of my desktop machines and I have a far nicer case I
can put it in than the beige case with ventilation holes hacked in it that I
was happy with....

I can't get the COA off the old case, have already torn up one end of it a
bit. Can anyone help please? Is there a way to do it that retains the
integrity of the sticker?

TIA,
--
Cheers,
Shaun.

Cima

On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:53:08 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>As per the subject line.
>
>I'm going to sell one of my desktop machines and I have a far nicer case I
>can put it in than the beige case with ventilation holes hacked in it that I
>was happy with....
>
>I can't get the COA off the old case, have already torn up one end of it a
>bit. Can anyone help please? Is there a way to do it that retains the
>integrity of the sticker?
>
>TIA,

I've used a hair dryer & razor blade. Works ok as long as you take it very
slowly with the blade

Gadget

On 1 Dec, 11:53, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As per the subject line.
>
> I'm going to sell one of my desktop machines and I have a far nicer case I
> can put it in than the beige case with ventilation holes hacked in it that I
> was happy with....
>
> I can't get the COA off the old case, have already torn up one end of it a
> bit. Can anyone help please? Is there a way to do it that retains the
> integrity of the sticker?
>
> TIA,
> --
> Cheers,
> Shaun.
>
> "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's
> warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

Hi Shaun
I've had luck with a can of "Freeze spray" (CRC make one version, code
2039).
The advantage to this stuff is it freezes the glue which becomes non-
sticky - peeling with a knife blade is then pretty easy.
Once thawed, its as good as new-I've "restuck" to a case recently
without any issues.
Just be cautious: you can get frostbite if you inadvertently hit skin!
Cheers
-Darl
PS Whatever happened to your old nim "Misfit"? <smile>

Richard

~misfit~ wrote:
> As per the subject line.
>
> I'm going to sell one of my desktop machines and I have a far nicer case I
> can put it in than the beige case with ventilation holes hacked in it that I
> was happy with....
>
> I can't get the COA off the old case, have already torn up one end of it a
> bit. Can anyone help please? Is there a way to do it that retains the
> integrity of the sticker?

Heat from the back with a hairdryer is what I did to get one off.

I tried calling MS to ask about a replacement for it and just got the
runaround between their scriptreaders so gave up on that.

This was the older style ones without the hole in it, I dont know if
those are any harder to do or not.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> As per the subject line.
>>
>> I'm going to sell one of my desktop machines and I have a far nicer
>> case I can put it in than the beige case with ventilation holes
>> hacked in it that I was happy with....
>>
>> I can't get the COA off the old case, have already torn up one end
>> of it a bit. Can anyone help please? Is there a way to do it that
>> retains the integrity of the sticker?

> Heat from the back with a hairdryer is what I did to get one off.
>
> I tried calling MS to ask about a replacement for it and just got the
> runaround between their scriptreaders so gave up on that.
>
> This was the older style ones without the hole in it, I dont know if
> those are any harder to do or not.

Thanks.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Cima wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Dec 2009 12:53:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> As per the subject line.
>>
>> I'm going to sell one of my desktop machines and I have a far nicer
>> case I can put it in than the beige case with ventilation holes
>> hacked in it that I was happy with....
>>
>> I can't get the COA off the old case, have already torn up one end
>> of it a bit. Can anyone help please? Is there a way to do it that
>> retains the integrity of the sticker?
>>
>> TIA,

> I've used a hair dryer & razor blade. Works ok as long as you take it
> very slowly with the blade

Cheers. It seems temperature change is the way to go.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gadget wrote:
> On 1 Dec, 11:53, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> As per the subject line.
>>
>> I'm going to sell one of my desktop machines and I have a far nicer
>> case I can put it in than the beige case with ventilation holes
>> hacked in it that I was happy with....
>>
>> I can't get the COA off the old case, have already torn up one end
>> of it a bit. Can anyone help please? Is there a way to do it that
>> retains the integrity of the sticker?
>>
>> TIA,
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Shaun.
>>
>> "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him
>> and he's warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchet, 'Jingo'.

> Hi Shaun
> I've had luck with a can of "Freeze spray" (CRC make one version, code
> 2039).
> The advantage to this stuff is it freezes the glue which becomes non-
> sticky - peeling with a knife blade is then pretty easy.
> Once thawed, its as good as new-I've "restuck" to a case recently
> without any issues.
> Just be cautious: you can get frostbite if you inadvertently hit skin!
> Cheers
> -Darl

Thanks -Darl. Another suggestion to try. LOL, I only have the one label to
move though.

> PS Whatever happened to your old nim "Misfit"? <smile>

Heh! I still use it in the "From" field to maintain continuity, I'd hate to
be accused of nymshifting, I've been posting as ~misfit~ for well over a
decade. However, since I outed myself a while back I sign posts with my real
name. <shrug> I don't have anything to hide. <g>

Regards,
--
Shaun.