Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > I have a friend who..

I have a friend who..

Sailor Sam

Has windows 7, he has managed to break a trust relationship between a
server, and a workstation, and is struggling to reestablish the
relationship. Apparently he can not "log in as administrator to fix it"

My advice was to boot to single user mode, and log in as root, but
apparently this functionality is not available to him.

In his words "the boot disk's rescue mode gives an administrator command
line, but it doesn't seem to work I tried to enable the local
administrator profile with it, but it doesn't go"

The commands he tried are below.

net user
net user administrator /enablen
or something like that
and then set a password for it
net user administrator abc123

Now, before I convert him to linux, does anyone have any (useful) advice?

peterwn

On Dec 1, 12:26*pm, Sailor Sam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Has windows 7, he has managed to break a trust relationship between a
> server, and a workstation, and is struggling to reestablish the
> relationship. *Apparently he can not "log in as administrator to fix it"
>
> My advice was to boot to single user mode, and log in as root, but
> apparently this functionality is not available to him.
>
> In his words "the boot disk's rescue mode gives an administrator command
> line, but it doesn't seem to work I tried to enable the local
> administrator profile with it, but it doesn't go"
>
> The commands he tried are below.
>
> net user
> net user administrator /enablen
> or something like that
> and then set a password for it
> net user administrator abc123
>
> Now, before I convert him to linux, does anyone have any (useful) advice?

Assuming the machine(s) belong to him (ie he has legal control over
their destiny) he could use some tool (available for free) to reset
the admin password for XP (for the hidden user called
'administrator').. Perhaps it works on Windows 7.

EMB

Sailor Sam wrote:

> Now, before I convert him to linux, does anyone have any (useful) advice?

Delete the computer from AD on the server, then re-add it.

EMB

peterwn wrote:

> Assuming the machine(s) belong to him (ie he has legal control over
> their destiny) he could use some tool (available for free) to reset
> the admin password for XP (for the hidden user called
> 'administrator').. Perhaps it works on Windows 7.

Assuming of course that the administrator account hasn't been renamed.

Sailor Sam

EMB wrote:
> Sailor Sam wrote:
>

>> Now, before I convert him to linux, does anyone have any (useful) advice?

> Delete the computer from AD on the server, then re-add it.

Hmm, he couldn't do that because he didn't have admin access to the
workstation. For future reference he needed to enable the local admin
account with a registry hack, and /then/ deleted the computer from the
AD, etc

/me shrugs

tis fixed

EMB

Sailor Sam wrote:
> EMB wrote:

>> Delete the computer from AD on the server, then re-add it.

> Hmm, he couldn't do that because he didn't have admin access to the
> workstation. For future reference he needed to enable the local admin
> account with a registry hack, and /then/ deleted the computer from the
> AD, etc

In a properly set up network the local admin (ie on the client machine)
shouldn't have been able to do this - a domain admin account should have
been required. And were I doing it, I'd have made the change on the server.

> tis fixed

Excellent