Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Transfer files and settings from Ultimate 64 to Pro 32 fails

Transfer files and settings from Ultimate 64 to Pro 32 fails

Sprocket

I wanted to transfer my files and setting from my W7 Ultimate 64 bit to my
Black Friday Netbook running 32 bit Pro with Easy Transfer. Seems that
doesn't work. Are there any work arounds or must I manually transfer what I
need?
--
Sprocket in Texas

R. C. White

Hi, Sprocket.

It should work. It worked for me.

HOW are you using WET? With a transfer cable? Or a thumb drive? A
network?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Sprocket" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I wanted to transfer my files and setting from my W7 Ultimate 64 bit to my
> Black Friday Netbook running 32 bit Pro with Easy Transfer. Seems that
> doesn't work. Are there any work arounds or must I manually transfer what
> need?
> --
> Sprocket in Texas

Charlie Russel - MVP

Are you sure? I'd heard that 64-bit to 32-bit didn't work? But honestly, it
isn't a scenario I've tested, since I'm pretty much full bore 64-bit.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23n%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, Sprocket.
>
> It should work. It worked for me.
>
> HOW are you using WET? With a transfer cable? Or a thumb drive? A
> network?
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> (E-Mail Removed)
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Sprocket" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I wanted to transfer my files and setting from my W7 Ultimate 64 bit to
>> my
>> Black Friday Netbook running 32 bit Pro with Easy Transfer. Seems that
>> doesn't work. Are there any work arounds or must I manually transfer
>> what I
>> need?
>> --
>> Sprocket in Texas

R. C. White

Hi, Charlie.

> Are you sure? I'd heard that 64-bit to 32-bit didn't work? But honestly,
> it isn't a scenario I've tested, since I'm pretty much full bore 64-bit.
>
> --
> Charlie.

I should have made it clear that WET worked for me - but I was transferring
from x64 to x64 - specifically, from Vista Ultimate x64 to Win7 Ultimate x64
RC, and later from Win7 Ultimate x64 RC to Win7 Ultimate x64 RTM. I've used
only 64-bit since Vista RTM, 3 years ago, except for occasional test runs of
x86.

And I was transferring via a folder on a second HD in my one computer to
make the transfers from/to different Windows installations in my multi-boot
system. No cables, thumb drives or other hardware involved. And I've never
had a laptop.

No, I haven't tried to/from different "bitness". But my understanding is
that, since the transfers involve only data and post-install settings and
tweaks to installed programs - not transferring the programs themselves -
WET should handle these transfers.

Now I'm looking in Help and Support and searching for "windows easy
transfer". In that FAQ, the bottom line says:
"Note
"You can't transfer files from a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit
version of Windows. For more information about 32-bit and 64-bit versions of
Windows, see 32-bit and 64-bit Windows: frequently asked questions."

That last phrase is a link to the 32/64-bit FAQ, but I don't see anything
specifically about WET there. And the Note doesn't say WET can't transfer
the other way, 32 to 64-bit. So now I'm confused. :^{

Thanks for calling attention to this point, Charlie. I'll watch and wait
for someone who knows this answer.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> "R. C. White" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%23n%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, Sprocket.
>>
>> It should work. It worked for me.
>>
>> HOW are you using WET? With a transfer cable? Or a thumb drive? A
>> network?
>>
>> RC
>>
>> "Sprocket" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I wanted to transfer my files and setting from my W7 Ultimate 64 bit to
>>> my
>>> Black Friday Netbook running 32 bit Pro with Easy Transfer. Seems that
>>> doesn't work. Are there any work arounds or must I manually transfer
>>> what I
>>> need?
>>> --
>>> Sprocket in Texas

Charlie Russel - MVP

My understanding is that WET works from 32->64bit, but not in reverse. I
suspect the issue is the different registries. The 64-bit registry is a
superset of the 32bit.