Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > emails getting held up?

emails getting held up?

Geopelia

Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov. The
ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?

XP, yahoo xtra.

Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?

There used to be a place at xtra where emails could be checked (usually full
of spam).
Is there one now?
What is the website please?

Thank you
Geopelia

Geopelia

"Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:heumss$jn3$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov.
> The ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
> Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
>
> XP, yahoo xtra.
>
> Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?
>
> There used to be a place at xtra where emails could be checked (usually
> full of spam).
> Is there one now?
> What is the website please?
>
> Thank you
> Geopelia

An email (from New Zealand) has just arrived, also a testing one I sent. So
it looks as if only the 29th ones are missing.

EMB

Geopelia wrote:
> Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov. The
> ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
> Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
>
> XP, yahoo xtra.
>
> Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?

Hi Geo

As has been suggested pretty much every time you have email problems,
Xtra's email service is unreliable and the source of many problems both
for you and their other clients. You should get an email address with a
non-ISP provider (eg Gmail) and use that instead.

Geopelia

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:heup0d$pio$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Geopelia wrote:
>> Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov.
>> The ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
>> Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
>>
>> XP, yahoo xtra.
>>
>> Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?

> Hi Geo
>
> As has been suggested pretty much every time you have email problems,
> Xtra's email service is unreliable and the source of many problems both
> for you and their other clients. You should get an email address with a
> non-ISP provider (eg Gmail) and use that instead.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. But most of the time xtra seems to work
well.
I've just had an email, so perhaps the others will arrive soon.

Donchano

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:36:20 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:heup0d$pio$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Geopelia wrote:
>>> Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov.
>>> The ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
>>> Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
>>>
>>> XP, yahoo xtra.
>>>
>>> Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?

>> Hi Geo
>>
>> As has been suggested pretty much every time you have email problems,
>> Xtra's email service is unreliable and the source of many problems both
>> for you and their other clients. You should get an email address with a
>> non-ISP provider (eg Gmail) and use that instead.

>Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. But most of the time xtra seems to work
>well.
>I've just had an email, so perhaps the others will arrive soon.

"Most of the time" just isn't good enough for me because I need an
email service that is efficient and reliable.

So after experiencing major problems with Xtra's abysmal, inconsistent
and unreliable Yahoo-Bubble service I signed up with an independent
email service (Fastmail.net). I now have ALL my of email routed
through Fastmail and have just signed up for a special three year
discount deal because I have had nothing but perfect service from
them. But I still use Xtra as my ISP for the time being.

http://www.fastmail.net

Geopelia

"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:36:20 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> Hi Geo
>>>
>>> As has been suggested pretty much every time you have email problems,
>>> Xtra's email service is unreliable and the source of many problems both
>>> for you and their other clients. You should get an email address with a
>>> non-ISP provider (eg Gmail) and use that instead.

>>Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. But most of the time xtra seems to work
>>well.
>>I've just had an email, so perhaps the others will arrive soon.

> "Most of the time" just isn't good enough for me because I need an
> email service that is efficient and reliable.
>
> So after experiencing major problems with Xtra's abysmal, inconsistent
> and unreliable Yahoo-Bubble service I signed up with an independent
> email service (Fastmail.net). I now have ALL my of email routed
> through Fastmail and have just signed up for a special three year
> discount deal because I have had nothing but perfect service from
> them. But I still use Xtra as my ISP for the time being.
>
> http://www.fastmail.net

If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my new
email address. I would have to run the two for a while.
I seem to have POP 3 as well as xtra yahoo now. I'll keep fastmail in mind.

I think yahoo is the problem. xtra on its own used to be good.

Dave Doe

In article <heumss$jn3$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>,

> Are emails getting held up? I haven't had any in my Inbox since 28 Nov. The
> ones I subscribe to usually arrive every day.
> Spam ones arrived in the spam folder, so could it be just my Inbox?
>
> XP, yahoo xtra.
>
> Is the problem with my computer please? if so, what should I do?
>
> There used to be a place at xtra where emails could be checked (usually full
> of spam).
> Is there one now?
> What is the website please?

1.
Best thing you can do is ditch crappy Xtra!

..2
Other thing you can do is phone them - good luck!

3.
Webmail is at:
http://www.xtramail.co.nz

If you can logon and see email there - then the problem is with their
outbound email server - see suggestion #1

--
Duncan.

Donchano

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:41:46 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
shouted from the highest rooftop:

>"Donchano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:36:20 +1300, "Geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>>Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. But most of the time xtra seems to work
>>>well.
>>>I've just had an email, so perhaps the others will arrive soon.

>> "Most of the time" just isn't good enough for me because I need an
>> email service that is efficient and reliable.
>>
>> So after experiencing major problems with Xtra's abysmal, inconsistent
>> and unreliable Yahoo-Bubble service I signed up with an independent
>> email service (Fastmail.net). I now have ALL my of email routed
>> through Fastmail and have just signed up for a special three year
>> discount deal because I have had nothing but perfect service from
>> them. But I still use Xtra as my ISP for the time being.
>>
>> http://www.fastmail.net

>If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my new
>email address. I would have to run the two for a while.
>I seem to have POP 3 as well as xtra yahoo now. I'll keep fastmail in mind.

Unless you drop Xtra altogether (they seem to be OK as an ISP) you
won't have to change your email address at all. You simply set up your
Xtra-Yahoo mail to be forwarded to your Fastmail account.

In fact I not have anything sent to my Xtra email addresses routed to
my Fastmail account, the same goes for Gmail and mail addressed to my
domain addresses.

>I think yahoo is the problem. xtra on its own used to be good.

After Xtra cheapened its service by hooking up with Yahoo my emails -
many of them important and time sensitive - dried up almost entirely.
After reading this ng I discovered the same was happening to other
Xtra customers and someone suggested checking my account online (eg:
webmail). I found something like 700 legitimate emails filed in the
spam folder and had to manually mark each as non-spam.

There were also instances when email sent by me from my Xtra account
were either delayed by several days or disappeared into the ether
entirely.

No one at Xtra (or whoever runs their so-called telephone support)
could tell my how this had happened or how to make sure it didn't
happen again. But someone here suggested that I import my address book
to the Yahoo account.

That helped with the emails I got from people in my address book but
did nothing to stop other legitimate emails from being classified as
spam. So I had to check my webmail account several times a day to make
sure and manually mark them as non-spam and move them to my inbox.

Again - nobody from Xtra support could tell me how to configure Yahoo
to be less rigorous in their filtering because Yahoo is a law unto
itself. So I dumped Xtra-Yahoo and switched to Fastmail.

What ****es me off as much as anything else is that Xtra has the cheek
to claim that Yahoo-bubble is an improvement on their previous email
service. When, in fact, it was just a cost cutting exercise at the
customer's expense. They're the Air New Zealand of telecommunications
- and believe me, that is NOT a complement.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <hev0s2$5j1$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:

> If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my new
> email address.

This is why you need your own domain name. Then you just take it with you
when you change ISPs, and nobody need be any the wiser.

EMB

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
> In message <hev0s2$5j1$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org>, Geopelia wrote:
>
>> If I change over there are so many people who would have to be told my new
>> email address.

> This is why you need your own domain name. Then you just take it with you
> when you change ISPs, and nobody need be any the wiser.

A gmail account will do everything Geo wants and it will cost her
nothing - there is no need to make her life overly expensive and
complicated by even mentioning a domain.