Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Re: debugger on system with Python 2 and 3

Re: debugger on system with Python 2 and 3

Yo Sato

Thanx Alan,

I am using Fedora Core 11. I wanted to use emacs, rather than the
full-blown IDE or entirely gui-based debugger, and that's why I was
drawn to pydb in the first instance.

If there's no other choice I don't mind using winpdb, but it is
installed (through Yum) under Python2 library and invokes Py2 at
default... Don't quite know how to adapt it to Py3 or install the
right version under the right directory, yet. It seems as if some
environmental variable change is necessary. On the whole it doesn't
seem that there's much support in the third-party debuggers in general
as yet...

In the meantime I might ask if it is possible to adapt pydb (or
perhaps, IDLE) for Py3. Might be just a change in a env variable or
two...

Yo

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 19:03:10 +0000, Alan Franzoni wrote:

> On 11/27/09 6:17 PM, Yo Sato wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a relative newcomer to the Python language, and only write Python
>> 3. Now I would very much like to a more-than-basic debugger. However it
>> seems as if the fact that I have both Python 2 and 3 on the system
>> complicates the matter...

> You haven't told OS which OS you're using, and what are your exact
> problems, BTW I think two good debuggers for Python are winpdb/rpdb2
> (work on any platform, despite the name) and the one you get in
> Eclipse+Pydev.
>
> You should be able to pick your platform, even though I've never tested
> them in Python 3.

Nir

rpdb2 should be compatible with Python 3.x.
And once you start a debugging session with rpdb2 (running with Python
3.x)
you can attach to it from a winpdb instance (running with Python 2.x)