Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: To frag or not to frag

Re: To frag or not to frag

Mike Easter

WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
> A friend says she was told never to defrag a machine. I've never heard
> a bad frag.

Defrag reduces lifetime of ssd. That would be considered 'bad'. Defrag
would be pretty much a waste of time in some situations; that would
certainly be considered something less than good.

> Does anyone know anything about frag/de-frag? Thank you.

The various answer/s would depend on what kind of operating system is
using what kind of filesystem on what kind of a storage, hdd, ssd and
the status of partitions and how the defrag were being admin/ed.

--
Mike Easter

iL_weReo

On Nov 27, 3:58*pm, "Mike Easter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
> > A friend says she was told never to defrag a machine. I've never heard
> > a bad frag.

> Defrag reduces lifetime of ssd. *That would be considered 'bad'. *Defrag
> would be pretty much a waste of time in some situations; *that would
> certainly be considered something less than good.
>
> > Does anyone know anything about frag/de-frag? Thank you.

> The various answer/s would depend on what kind of operating system is
> using what kind of filesystem on what kind of a storage, hdd, ssd and
> the status of partitions and how the defrag were being admin/ed.
>
> --
> Mike Easter

G-d only knows. Thank you Mike as always.

alan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> WeReo_ScoTTy wrote:
>> A friend says she was told never to defrag a machine. I've never heard
>> a bad frag.

> Defrag reduces lifetime of ssd. That would be considered 'bad'. Defrag
> would be pretty much a waste of time in some situations; that would
> certainly be considered something less than good.
>
>> Does anyone know anything about frag/de-frag? Thank you.

> The various answer/s would depend on what kind of operating system is
> using what kind of filesystem on what kind of a storage, hdd, ssd and
> the status of partitions and how the defrag were being admin/ed.

Does that mean that since I have hdd instead of ssd, degragging would not
necessarily be a potentially bad thing? (XPpro-SP3, NTFS file system, no
partitions, using standard Windows XP defrag)

Mike Easter

alan wrote:
> "Mike Easter"

>> The various answer/s would depend on what kind of operating system is
>> using what kind of filesystem on what kind of a storage, hdd, ssd and
>> the status of partitions and how the defrag were being admin/ed.
>>

> Does that mean that since I have hdd instead of ssd, degragging would
> not necessarily be a potentially bad thing? (XPpro-SP3, NTFS file
> system, no partitions, using standard Windows XP defrag)

NTFS is less prone to fragmentation than previous win FS/es.
Partitioning (which you don't have) would reduce your tendency toward
fragmentation. XP's included defragger has some limitations including
areas that are not defragged. The Diskeeper company which makes the
free basic version included with XP also makes a payware version which
has more functionality; as do some other defraggers which are freeware.

kb 227463 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/227463 Disk Defragmenter
Limitations in Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003

--
Mike Easter

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Defrag reduces lifetime of ssd.

Heck just writing and delteing on a ssd (Solid State Drive), is
detrimental to it's lifetime.

>Does that mean that since I have hdd instead of ssd, degragging would not
>necessarily be a potentially bad thing? (XPpro-SP3, NTFS file system, no
>partitions, using standard Windows XP defrag)

Speaking for myself, prior to windows I'd of said yes, as your Drive
head pivot can only last so long, Or just the plain fact your wearing
out your HD.

Since windows I've seen that proven wrong.

A drive under windows never stops accessing itself, be it screwing
with the pagefile, writing what you've just done to multiple areas, or
writing to log files, I counted 22 (logs) as just being accessed just
now - wanted to make sure, I recounted and it jumped to 27. While most
of these log files are the same (registry files) they are still being
written to mulitply times, anytime you do anything.

Defragging a drive isn't doing anything it isn't already doing; That
moving the heads back and forth reading and writing data.

But I rarely defrag a drive unless I've deleted a massive amount of
files or going to install a large amount of files (game with 5 cd's).

--

http://www.motifake.com/70s-humor-70...ter-78699.html
or

How to see frag/defrag utilization of the router. AM Cisco 2 11-26-2005 03:06 AM
Re: De-frag'. Gazwad Computer Support 5 08-23-2003 08:38 AM
Re: De-frag'. Roo Computer Support 3 08-21-2003 01:34 PM
Re: De-frag'. Paul - xxx Computer Support 0 08-20-2003 05:09 PM
De frag Bob B Computer Support 17 07-01-2003 11:41 PM

Advertisments