Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > lightweight notebook ?

lightweight notebook ?

- Bobb -

Family would like a netbook but wants internal CD/DVD burner and HDD ( not
ramdisk). I know that there's 100's of them out there - any feedback from a
recent user/buyer of a new-ish notebook.
Resource needs are not high: just to use from sofa. Internet /USB/ HDD/
Non-Vista. Does NOT want big (heavy) screen/pc since it REALLY will be used
as a LAPtop.
Also - cannot be a Dell (they had bad experiences and refuse to do business
with Dell.)

I suggested netbook with external CD/DVD - they want it built in so no cords
hanging.

Jeff Strickland

news:heog8n$rvk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> Family would like a netbook but wants internal CD/DVD burner and HDD ( not
> ramdisk). I know that there's 100's of them out there - any feedback from
> a recent user/buyer of a new-ish notebook.

Make up your mind, netbooks and notebooks are not the same, yet you mention
both as if they are interchangeable.

> Resource needs are not high: just to use from sofa. Internet /USB/ HDD/
> Non-Vista. Does NOT want big (heavy) screen/pc since it REALLY will be
> used as a LAPtop.
> Also - cannot be a Dell (they had bad experiences and refuse to do
> business with Dell.)
>
> I suggested netbook with external CD/DVD - they want it built in so no
> cords hanging.

A new laptop will be Windows7, a netbook will be XP -- I don't know if you
can get them with XP Pro, mine has XP Home. If they have a wireless rouoter
at home, you can set them up with a Workgroup, and they can leverage a
CD/DVD installed on another computer on the network. I loaded programs onto
my daughter's netbook over our network.

A build in CD drive is problematic if they want a netbook because there is
simply not enough real estate inside these small computers to fit a CD.
"Wires hanging about," is really a non-issue unless they actually work
directly from the CD/DVD, and the machine is so small that this is not a
particularly good way to watch a movie, but if they want to watch a movie,
the wireless network can be useful. The typical usage of a CD is that it is
seldom used. So, it is reasonable that one would consider an external drive
for the few times that the device is actually used.

Phone companies -- Verizon Wireless and Sprint, for example -- offer low
cost netbooks that have their own internet connection built in, but they
charge a monthly fee for the service. The upside is, they can connect to the
'net anywhere where the cellphone works and do not rely on the WiFi
(wireless) connections at hotels and Starbucks, and other places. If I was
going to go down this road, I'd get one from the company where I already
have my cell service. Alternatively, if you settle on a Notebook, the cell
provider can hook you up with high speed Internet that does not rely on WiFi
for the same monthly fee as the netbook carries.

The Netbooks are small -- screen sizes in the area of about 10 inches. The
keyboard is about 90% of a full size keyboard, sl small hands work the keys
easily, but larger hands (such as mine) find the keyboard a bit difficult to
use. The best application for a Netbook, in my opinion, is for a student.
They are small and lightweight. Couple them with an external USB drive, and
they become limitless for versatility and storage capacity. But, the same
thing that makes them good for sutdents makes them not-so-good for regular
people -- they're too small to use for extended periods of time. A Notebook
has many screen sizes starting generally from about 15 inches, and because
of this, the keyboard is full size.

Netbooks are cheaper than Notebooks, but after buying an external CD/DVD,
the cost advantage is typically wiped out. Ease of moving from place to
place is slightly greater with the netbook, but they are more difficult to
use because of the small package.

For either machine, notebook or netbook, I recommend a lap desk. These vary
in price, but the idea is that they are padded on the bottom and are flat on
the top, making your lap into a suitable desk especially if you are sitting
on a recliner with the feet raised. You can cost-up on these things and get
them with a fan built in to blow cool air at the bottom of the computer, but
I find that just having the 3 or 4 inches of padding and a stable flat
surface for the computer to rest upon makes a world of difference when using
these machines.

JD

- Bobb - wrote:
> Family would like a netbook but wants internal CD/DVD burner and HDD ( not
> ramdisk). I know that there's 100's of them out there - any feedback from a
> recent user/buyer of a new-ish notebook.
> Resource needs are not high: just to use from sofa. Internet /USB/ HDD/
> Non-Vista. Does NOT want big (heavy) screen/pc since it REALLY will be used
> as a LAPtop.
> Also - cannot be a Dell (they had bad experiences and refuse to do business
> with Dell.)
>
> I suggested netbook with external CD/DVD - they want it built in so no cords
> hanging.

Hi Bobb

first they have to decide what they want it for, small and lightweight
then the netbooks are a good choice, if they want to write cd's/dvd's or
have larger hard drive then a laptop is probably more suitable.

there are so many netbooks and laptops on the market that its hard to
recommend one over another, price Vs features and all that, however
netbooks are fairly easy there all basically the same an atom 1.6Ghz
CPU, 1GB or ram, your biggest decision here will probably be screen
size, if they do a lot of typing then be warned that most netbooks have
a small keyboard there are exceptions tho. Samsung make one with a full
size keyboard.

Laptops: all depends what the budget is really, but I particularly like
the Toshiba Satalite Pro's as they have a nice keyboard on them.

oh regarding the OS's on netbooks you do get Win7 on netbooks, usually
starter edition it works fine, the big difference with starter edition
is that it has no direct x and no aero interface, which is no big deal
as your not going to be playing games on a netbook, they were going to
limit it to only allowing you to run 3 applications at one time but they
did not implement that.

seems like everyone's moving to laptop's these days, bring back the
tower I say ! lol

JD

- Bobb -

"Jeff Strickland" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:heosg5$s0g$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...

> news:heog8n$rvk$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> Family would like a netbook but wants internal CD/DVD burner and HDD (
>> not ramdisk). I know that there's 100's of them out there - any feedback
>> from a recent user/buyer of a new-ish notebook.

> Make up your mind, netbooks and notebooks are not the same, yet you
> mention both as if they are interchangeable.

Let me rephrase a bit:
They would LIKE the weight/basic features ( "nothing fancy") of a netbook
BUT they NEED a built-in CD/DVD - not external.

> [...]

> about 15 inches, and because of this, the keyboard is full size.
>
> Netbooks are cheaper than Notebooks, but after buying an external CD/DVD,
> the cost advantage is typically wiped out. Ease of moving from place to
> place is slightly greater with the netbook, but they are more difficult to
> use because of the small package.
>
> For either machine, notebook or netbook, I recommend a lap desk. These
> vary in price, but the idea is that they are padded on the bottom and are
> flat on the top, making your lap into a suitable desk especially if you
> are sitting on a recliner with the feet raised. You can cost-up on these
> things and get them with a fan built in to blow cool air at the bottom of
> the computer, but I find that just having the 3 or 4 inches of padding and
> a stable flat surface for the computer to rest upon makes a world of

Thanks - either any version of windows is fine.
They want it ONLY to have by the couch to fetch email/internet.

news:4b10273f$0$2475$(E-Mail Removed)...