Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Prioritizing users on 4 port router

Prioritizing users on 4 port router

Lodi

Hi all....using Ubuntu 9.04

Is it possible to set up a router so that one user has priority over the
others in speed of downloading. I'm having to share my net connection with
visiting relatives up to the new year and whenever we're online at the same
time my speeds drop whereas they seem to be unaffected.

Plus they plough through my daily cap. Grrrr.

I have a D-Link 704P which doesn't have the "rate-limiting of LAN ports"
option so some sort of clever nix network tool would be handy.

Regards
Lodi

Carnations

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 22:10:56 +1300, Lodi wrote:

> Hi all....using Ubuntu 9.04
>
> Is it possible to set up a router so that one user has priority over the
> others in speed of downloading. I'm having to share my net connection
> with visiting relatives up to the new year and whenever we're online at
> the same time my speeds drop whereas they seem to be unaffected.
>
> Plus they plough through my daily cap. Grrrr.
>
> I have a D-Link 704P which doesn't have the "rate-limiting of LAN ports"
> option so some sort of clever nix network tool would be handy.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

Hi Lodi,

While you can't easily rate-limit users without using some means to authenticate the user you can rate-
limit traffic generally. This is known in networking terms as QOS (Quality of Service). You'll need to
implement a firewall/router solution such as Smoothwall or equivalent. You can then set the network
speed for a variety of different types of traffic.

But if you want to do speed limiting based on who the person is who is accessing that data rather than
on what the protocol is, then whatever solution you use will need to be able to figure out who is the
human who is using the computer that is accessing all that data - not so easy without using some sort
of authentication solution and a firewall/routing solution that can interface with that authentication
solution.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

In message <heis9t$prm$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lodi wrote:

> Is it possible to set up a router so that one user has priority over the
> others in speed of downloading.

Quite probably. I’m looking at the iptables( man page, and it mentions the
CLASSIFY target, and there is more description in the tc-cbq( and tc-cbq-
details( man pages.

Disclaimer: I’ve never tried any of this.

Richard

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all....using Ubuntu 9.04
>
> Is it possible to set up a router so that one user has priority over the
> others in speed of downloading. I'm having to share my net connection with
> visiting relatives up to the new year and whenever we're online at the same
> time my speeds drop whereas they seem to be unaffected.
>
> Plus they plough through my daily cap. Grrrr.
>
> I have a D-Link 704P which doesn't have the "rate-limiting of LAN ports"
> option so some sort of clever nix network tool would be handy.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

www.openwrt.org

If you have a supported router and you can do it all with pretty
standard linux stuff.

Otherwise tell them no to sharing the broadband. They can get a 3g
connection or whatever.

Sailor Sam

Lodi wrote:
> Hi all....using Ubuntu 9.04
>
> Is it possible to set up a router so that one user has priority over the
> others in speed of downloading. I'm having to share my net connection with
> visiting relatives up to the new year and whenever we're online at the same
> time my speeds drop whereas they seem to be unaffected.
>
> Plus they plough through my daily cap. Grrrr.
>
> I have a D-Link 704P which doesn't have the "rate-limiting of LAN ports"
> option so some sort of clever nix network tool would be handy.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

You'll be rate limiting on your mac address
As others have said, you're looking at an iptables based solution
(linux) I _presume_ there is a windows, or w/ever your OS choice is,
solution has the appropriate functionality.