Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Can I Use WS-X4648-RJ45V+E Blade in 4006 Chassis?

Re: Can I Use WS-X4648-RJ45V+E Blade in 4006 Chassis?

Doug McIntyre

"Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>We are still using several old 4006 chassis in our closets. They work fine,
>have redundant power, and we have a few spare WS-X4148-RJ switch blades just
>in case we lose one somewhere -- so there's been no real motivation to
>upgrade.

>Until now. One department wants VoIP. So we are looking into PoE switches.
>The old 4006 "supports" PoE, but I think I'd have to buy the modules off
>e-bay or something like that, which I'm reluctant to do.

>So I'm wondering if it's somehow possible to use an x4648 PoE blade in the
>4006 chassis. I'm guessing this won't work, but I can't tell from looking
>at the specs if the power on the 4648 is actually on the blade itself, or if
>it still resides on the chassis, say a 4506.

>In short, I'm just looking to see if there is some way to use a single PoE
>switch blade in my 4006 chassis, which does NOT currently have the auxiliary
>power shelf or the power entry module.

I can't answer your exact question, but running the older X4148-RJ45V
blades in a 4500 chassis will not light up the PoE capabilities of the
ports unless I have the proper power supply modules in the chassis
that supported supplying DC power to PoE modules. Not all power
supplies support PoE in the 4500 either. The ethernet portion of the
port works fine, but once it starts to receive a PoE request, it'll
refuse to do it because it doesn't have the power capacity, and that
will be logged.

I'd generalize the same would be true on the 4006 without the auxilary
power shelf add-on option.

Andrey Tarasov

Doug McIntyre wrote:
> "Mark C" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> We are still using several old 4006 chassis in our closets. They work fine,
>> have redundant power, and we have a few spare WS-X4148-RJ switch blades just
>> in case we lose one somewhere -- so there's been no real motivation to
>> upgrade.

>> Until now. One department wants VoIP. So we are looking into PoE switches.
>> The old 4006 "supports" PoE, but I think I'd have to buy the modules off
>> e-bay or something like that, which I'm reluctant to do.

>> So I'm wondering if it's somehow possible to use an x4648 PoE blade in the
>> 4006 chassis. I'm guessing this won't work, but I can't tell from looking
>> at the specs if the power on the 4648 is actually on the blade itself, or if
>> it still resides on the chassis, say a 4506.

>> In short, I'm just looking to see if there is some way to use a single PoE
>> switch blade in my 4006 chassis, which does NOT currently have the auxiliary
>> power shelf or the power entry module.

> I can't answer your exact question, but running the older X4148-RJ45V
> blades in a 4500 chassis will not light up the PoE capabilities of the
> ports unless I have the proper power supply modules in the chassis
> that supported supplying DC power to PoE modules. Not all power
> supplies support PoE in the 4500 either. The ethernet portion of the
> port works fine, but once it starts to receive a PoE request, it'll
> refuse to do it because it doesn't have the power capacity, and that
> will be logged.
>
> I'd generalize the same would be true on the 4006 without the auxilary
> power shelf add-on option.

It's even easier than that - this line card requires -E chassis and -E
supervisor. 4503-E, 4506-E, 4507R-E and 4510R-E with either Sup6-E or
Sup6L-E.

Since money seems to be a problem, standalone PoE switch might be a
better solution. Something along the lines of Catalyst Express line...

Regards,
Andrey.

Jasper Janssen

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:24:46 -0800, Andrey Tarasov <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Since money seems to be a problem, standalone PoE switch might be a
>better solution. Something along the lines of Catalyst Express line...

If you don't need extra ethernet ports, there are multiport midline PoE
injectors which will simply add PoE capabilities to existing ports.

Check power requirements carefully.

Jasper

large delay between computer and 4006 ethernet interface jing shen Cisco 1 11-09-2003 04:22 AM
4006 SUP III locks up Flemming Haurum Cisco 0 11-01-2003 12:07 PM
4006 port with LED out Kevin Cisco 0 11-01-2003 06:23 AM
Etherchannel 4006 Roland Waidhas Cisco 0 07-13-2003 11:35 AM
802.1x on Cisco 4006 Dennis Paul Cisco 0 07-10-2003 08:23 AM

Advertisments