Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bit browser??

64 bit browser??

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed, and it has both 32 and 64 bit
versions of Internet Explorer installed. It runs the 32 bit version by
default. So what is the point of a 64 bit browser? What can it do that
the 32 bit version can't?
--
Crash

"When you want to fool the world, tell the truth."
~ Otto von Bismarck ~

Charlie Russel - MVP

At this point in time, there really isn't much reason to run the 64-bit
version, unless you want a browser that doesn't run various addons like
flash, etc. Which is why the 32-bit is the default. At some point in the
future, I expect we'll be at a point where 64-bit is everywhere and there's
full support for 64-bit browswers, but that time isn't yet.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed, and it has both 32 and 64 bit
> versions of Internet Explorer installed. It runs the 32 bit version by
> default. So what is the point of a 64 bit browser? What can it do that
> the 32 bit version can't?
> --
> Crash
>
> "When you want to fool the world, tell the truth."
> ~ Otto von Bismarck ~

Charlie Russel - MVP

That's because it doesn't support any add-ins more than any other reason.
But I agree, there can be good reasons to use it. Just not ones for normal
browsing where folks need and expect various add-ins to work.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel

"David B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a good reason to run it, it's quite a bit faster then it's x86
> counterpart.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> At this point in time, there really isn't much reason to run the 64-bit
>> version, unless you want a browser that doesn't run various addons like
>> flash, etc. Which is why the 32-bit is the default. At some point in the
>> future, I expect we'll be at a point where 64-bit is everywhere and
>> there's full support for 64-bit browswers, but that time isn't yet.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/russel
>>

>> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed, and it has both 32 and 64 bit
>>> versions of Internet Explorer installed. It runs the 32 bit version by
>>> default. So what is the point of a 64 bit browser? What can it do that
>>> the 32 bit version can't?
>>> --
>>> Crash
>>>
>>> "When you want to fool the world, tell the truth."
>>> ~ Otto von Bismarck ~

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> That's because it doesn't support any add-ins more than any other
> reason. But I agree, there can be good reasons to use it. Just not ones
> for normal browsing where folks need and expect various add-ins to work.

So back to my original question, why have a 64 bit browser in the first
place? The internet is only 1 bit!

--
Crash

"Update" and "upgrade" are not synonyms.

mikeyhsd

it is the other way around.
for instance java is only 32 bit.

so it is the support programs that are not working.
making you use 32 bit version of IE.

mikeyhsd wrote:
> it is the other way around.
> for instance java is only 32 bit.
>
> so it is the support programs that are not working.
> making you use 32 bit version of IE.
>
> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed, and it has both 32 and 64 bit
> versions of Internet Explorer installed. It runs the 32 bit version by
> default. So what is the point of a 64 bit browser? What can it do that
> the 32 bit version can't?

I just made an interesting discovery. I use the InternetExplorer object
in scripts. It turns out my scripts are using the 64 bit IE. I am
guessing that is because it is the one in the "Program Files" folder.

--
Crash

Do not confuse advances in technology with advances in civilization.

Carlos

Hi,
There IS 64-bit java for IE.
Go here:
http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
Click download on the JRE section and download 64-bit java.
Install it and check it here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml
Carlos

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> it is the other way around.
> for instance java is only 32 bit.
>
> so it is the support programs that are not working.
> making you use 32 bit version of IE.
>

> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> "Dave "Crash" Dummy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installed, and it has both 32 and 64 bit
> versions of Internet Explorer installed. It runs the 32 bit version by
> default. So what is the point of a 64 bit browser? What can it do that
> the 32 bit version can't?
> --
> Crash
>
> "When you want to fool the world, tell the truth."
> ~ Otto von Bismarck ~

Tom Lake

"mikeyhsd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
it is the other way around.
for instance java is only 32 bit.

Java isn't the problem. It has a 64-bit version. The real problem is
Adobe Flash which only has a 32-bit version. When Adobe gets
their act together (how long have 64-bit versions of Windows been out?)
I'll switch to 64-bit IE and not look back.

Tom Lake

Dave \Crash\ Dummy

Tom Lake wrote:
> "mikeyhsd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it is the other way around.
> for instance java is only 32 bit.
>
> Java isn't the problem. It has a 64-bit version. The real problem is
> Adobe Flash which only has a 32-bit version. When Adobe gets
> their act together (how long have 64-bit versions of Windows been out?)
> I'll switch to 64-bit IE and not look back.

Why? What does IE64 do that IE32 doesn't? What does it do better?

--
Crash

"Stupidity has a knack of getting its way."
~ Albert Camus ~

Juergen Kluth

Hi
I think you might
"expect that time in the future"

when 640 k of ram is enough for every computeruser *

JK

*which IS, when the pc's bios is filled with code to log in
into "someones" cloud, and runs this ones word 4 online