Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help connecting wireless laptop to access point

Help connecting wireless laptop to access point

rock

Hi,

I have wireless netbook which I want to connect to my LAN from a certain
gateway..

My network is made up of this..

Optus cable to Motorola Modem hard wired to
Billion Voip Gateway which is hard wired to Switcher hub
which is hard wired to XP boxes.

I can WPA-PSK (TKIP) wireless connect to the Billion Gateway
Netbook 192.168.1.7
Gateway 192.168.1.254
and this wireless connection I call 'wlan-ip'.
Everything works through this connection.

One of these Xp boxes however is hard wired to a Compex N16 access point
gateway in another area of the office and it is the wireless part of
this NP16 that I want to connect my netbook to.

I have entered the WPA key pwd into the NP16 admin but I still cannot
get a good signal even if I am right next to it. This wirelss connection
is called starONE.

What other information do I need to provide to get assistances please?

rock

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
To what the N16 is connected to and how?
If it connects to the another Wireless Router it should be configured as a
transparent device in order to stay on the same network.
Did you try to temp. disable the Wireless security on the Access Point to
see if you can connect at all?
Do you see in a wireless computer a signal coming from the N18?
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

"rock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have wireless netbook which I want to connect to my LAN from a certain
> gateway..
>
> My network is made up of this..
>
> Optus cable to Motorola Modem hard wired to
> Billion Voip Gateway which is hard wired to Switcher hub
> which is hard wired to XP boxes.
>
> I can WPA-PSK (TKIP) wireless connect to the Billion Gateway
> Netbook 192.168.1.7
> Gateway 192.168.1.254
> and this wireless connection I call 'wlan-ip'.
> Everything works through this connection.
>
> One of these Xp boxes however is hard wired to a Compex N16 access point
> gateway in another area of the office and it is the wireless part of this
> NP16 that I want to connect my netbook to.
>
> I have entered the WPA key pwd into the NP16 admin but I still cannot get
> a good signal even if I am right next to it. This wirelss connection is
> called starONE.
>
> What other information do I need to provide to get assistances please?
>
> rock

rock

Hi Jack,

The Compex N16 is connected to a XP box called '1' and that is where
the admin program of the N16 is at 192.168.168.1.
Also have a program called uconfig.

The N16 is attached to a wired network cable which comes from a switcher
which is attached to the other xp boxes and to the Billion which is
attached to the Cable modem gateway.

This cable goes into LAN line 1 of the N16, and line 2 goes to the XP
box 1. This is the only connection in or out of the N16.. Other than
the wireless card which is live.

The network is called MsHome and the N16 wireless is called StarOne.

The netbook I am trying to connect is 192.168.1.7. when connected via
wireless to the same Mshome network using the Billion in another area of
the office. This connection is called wlan-ap and connects successfully
when in the area of the billion and with a limited signal when connected
in the area of the N16 .

Hope this is too confusing for you. It is for me!!

Regards,

rock

Jack [MVP-Networking] wrote:
> Hi
> To what the N16 is connected to and how?
> If it connects to the another Wireless Router it should be configured as
> a transparent device in order to stay on the same network.
> Did you try to temp. disable the Wireless security on the Access Point
> to see if you can connect at all?
> Do you see in a wireless computer a signal coming from the N18?
> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).
>
> "rock" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have wireless netbook which I want to connect to my LAN from a
>> certain gateway..
>>
>> My network is made up of this..
>>
>> Optus cable to Motorola Modem hard wired to
>> Billion Voip Gateway which is hard wired to Switcher hub
>> which is hard wired to XP boxes.
>>
>> I can WPA-PSK (TKIP) wireless connect to the Billion Gateway
>> Netbook 192.168.1.7
>> Gateway 192.168.1.254
>> and this wireless connection I call 'wlan-ip'.
>> Everything works through this connection.
>>
>> One of these Xp boxes however is hard wired to a Compex N16 access
>> point gateway in another area of the office and it is the wireless
>> part of this NP16 that I want to connect my netbook to.
>>
>> I have entered the WPA key pwd into the NP16 admin but I still cannot
>> get a good signal even if I am right next to it. This wirelss
>> connection is called starONE.
>>
>> What other information do I need to provide to get assistances please?
>>
>> rock

Jack [MVP-Networking]

Hi
192.168.1.7. can not connect to N16 is at 192.168.168.1.
In the scheme of 192.168.X.Y the first three groups 192.168.Y must be the
same to have one cohesive Network (it is also called Subnet).
Only the Y can vary to identify each computer on the Network.