Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > spam from barterzone.co.nz

Reply
Thread Tools

spam from barterzone.co.nz

 
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Enkidu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
Nathan Mercer wrote:
>
> anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?
>

Not me.

Cheers,

Cliff

PS, how do I go about getting a Windows 7 tee shirt? MS has been evasive
- "bla bla promotional material bla bla".

CP

--

The Internet is interesting in that although the nicknames may change,
the same old personalities show through.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
Enkidu wrote:
> Nathan Mercer wrote:
> >
>> anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?
> >

> Not me.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff
>
> PS, how do I go about getting a Windows 7 tee shirt? MS has been evasive
> - "bla bla promotional material bla bla".


Make that an order for two - or otherwise[1] I'll wear a Solaris shirt
to the next MSDN function I attend.

[1] Not for the first time
 
Reply With Quote
 
Carnations
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:34:46 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?


No. I haven't visited that site. And besides, in any case I don't use Microsoft software.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
On Nov 24, 10:20*pm, Carnations <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:34:46 -0800, Nathan *Mercer wrote:
> > anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?

>
> No. I haven't visited that site.


Neither had I, but several of my email addresses got spammed from them
today. Including an address that has never sent just received.
My guess is someone had a bright idea to harvesting NZ email
addresses. Certainly their UCE to me had no unsubscribe function, and
they definitely had no express, inferred or deemed consent to email me

When I phoned them up the lady that answered wouldn't tell me how they
acquired my email address.

>And besides, in any case I don't use Microsoft software.


what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Carnations
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 01:34:03 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> On Nov 24, 10:20*pm, Carnations <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:34:46 -0800, Nathan *Mercer wrote:
>> > anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?

>>
>> No. I haven't visited that site.

>
> Neither had I, but several of my email addresses got spammed from them
> today. Including an address that has never sent just received. My guess
> is someone had a bright idea to harvesting NZ email addresses.


That strongly suggests that your computer is compromised - especially if that mailbox only ever
receives email - that means those whom you have given it to are compromised or your network
connection is compromised, or your computer is compromised.

Welcome to Microsoft's idea of paradise!


> Certainly their UCE to me had no unsubscribe function, and they
> definitely had no express, inferred or deemed consent to email me
>
> When I phoned them up the lady that answered wouldn't tell me how they
> acquired my email address.
>
>>And besides, in any case I don't use Microsoft software.

>
> what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?


Nothing, but everything to do with the harvesting of email addresses.


--
"Filtering the Internet is like trying to boil the ocean"
 
Reply With Quote
 
Richard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
Nathan Mercer wrote:
> On Nov 24, 10:20 pm, Carnations <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 20:34:46 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>> anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?

>> No. I haven't visited that site.

>
> Neither had I, but several of my email addresses got spammed from them
> today. Including an address that has never sent just received.
> My guess is someone had a bright idea to harvesting NZ email
> addresses. Certainly their UCE to me had no unsubscribe function, and
> they definitely had no express, inferred or deemed consent to email me
>
> When I phoned them up the lady that answered wouldn't tell me how they
> acquired my email address.
>
>> And besides, in any case I don't use Microsoft software.

>
> what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?


do a complaint with the DIA thru their service.

They have handled one I have made about someone else spamming very well
IMO. These things take time to resolve tho. I am looking foward to
seeing an outcome tho.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
On Nov 24, 10:47*pm, Carnations <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> > anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?

>
> >> No. I haven't visited that site.

>
> > Neither had I, but several of my email addresses got spammed from them
> > today. *Including an address that has never sent just received. My guess
> > is someone had a bright idea to harvesting NZ email addresses.

>
> That strongly suggests that your computer is compromised - especially if that mailbox only ever
> receives email - that means those whom you have given it to are compromised or your network
> connection is compromised, or your computer is compromised.


I don't think it strongly suggests that, my PC is not comprised,
nothing on my PC uses that address at all. But that email address is
published on the web, as is my personal address that was also
spammed. And then along comes Mr Harvester with a bright idea to do
some Unsolicited Commercial Email

anyway my point being that there is no way they could claim I emailed
them and thats how they obtained it

> Welcome to Microsoft's idea of paradise!
>
> > Certainly their UCE to me had no unsubscribe function, and they
> > definitely had no express, inferred or deemed consent to email me

>
> > When I phoned them up the lady that answered wouldn't tell me how they
> > acquired my email address.

>
> >>And besides, in any case I don't use Microsoft software.

>
> > what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

>
> Nothing, but everything to do with the harvesting of email addresses.


and running non Microsoft software helps me in this situation how?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Doe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
In article <5c12826e-5ce5-4729-a23a-62b92e90c528
@h40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> On Nov 24, 10:47*pm, Carnations <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >> > anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?

> >
> > >> No. I haven't visited that site.

> >
> > > Neither had I, but several of my email addresses got spammed from them
> > > today. *Including an address that has never sent just received. My guess
> > > is someone had a bright idea to harvesting NZ email addresses.

> >
> > That strongly suggests that your computer is compromised - especially if that mailbox only ever
> > receives email - that means those whom you have given it to are compromised or your network
> > connection is compromised, or your computer is compromised.

>
> I don't think it strongly suggests that, my PC is not comprised,
> nothing on my PC uses that address at all. But that email address is
> published on the web, as is my personal address that was also
> spammed. And then along comes Mr Harvester with a bright idea to do
> some Unsolicited Commercial Email


Kick your web designer's arse! Get those addys munged - javascript's
my recommended way.

And ignore the trolls

--
Duncan.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nathan Mercer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-24-2009
On Nov 24, 11:46*pm, Dave Doe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > >> > anyone else get mulitiple spam emails from BarterZone.co.nz today?

>
> > > >> No. I haven't visited that site.

>
> > > > Neither had I, but several of my email addresses got spammed from them
> > > > today. *Including an address that has never sent just received. My guess
> > > > is someone had a bright idea to harvesting NZ email addresses.

>
> > > That strongly suggests that your computer is compromised - especially if that mailbox only ever
> > > receives email - that means those whom you have given it to are compromised or your network
> > > connection is compromised, or your computer is compromised.

>
> > I don't think it strongly suggests that, my PC is not comprised,
> > nothing on my PC uses that address at all. *But that email address is
> > published on the web, as is my personal address that was also
> > spammed. *And then along comes Mr Harvester with a bright idea to do
> > some Unsolicited Commercial Email

>
> Kick your web designer's arse! *Get those addys munged - javascript's
> my recommended way.


if only that easy, its in PDFs that have been indexed, people have put
newsletter copy that include that address up on other pages etc

Put it this way, this is the first UCE that has made it through our
filters and into my inbox for that address in the 3-4 years its
existed. Not too bad

> And ignore the trolls


lol
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spam-Spam and more Spam C A Preston Computer Support 2 04-12-2004 07:15 PM



Advertisments