Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Circles on digital images

Circles on digital images

MikeM

A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
as
the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of smaller
circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any suggestions
what
might be causing it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

Thanks
Mike

MC

MikeM wrote:

> A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
> as
> the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of smaller
> circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any suggestions
> what
> might be causing it?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Dust or water particles reflecting light from the flash.

MC

SayWhat

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 12:57:00 GMT, MikeM <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
>as
>the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of smaller
>circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any suggestions
>what
>might be causing it?
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/
>
>Thanks
>Mike

Those are spirits and ghosts. Commonly known as "orbs" in the nu-ager
spiritual community. The one in your image seems to be attached to that gal
in front of the camera. No doubt a long-dead relative that came to enjoy
the concert with her. You can find thousands of sites online where people
post these "orb" photos as physical proof of spiritual entities.

Only special photography equipment can capture their presence. Smaller
compact cameras where the built-in flash is very close to the front lens
element seems important to attract these ghostly spirits. Those compact
cameras which have lenses of wider apertures seem to capture the largest
orbs as well. Some suspect this is due to the shallower DOF making nearer
out-of-focus orbs appear larger than they actually are. These scary "orbs"
tend to not hang around cameras where the flash is further away from the
lens or when using off-camera flash units. Consequently, they never show up
at all when flash is not used.

I think it has something to do with the huge electrical potential in the
flash unit in close proximity of the precise curvatures of the focusing
glass. Not unlike how ball-lighting is formed during intense electrical
storms. Or a crystal-ball can focus the energies of the dead or of the
future. The camera's design sets up an energy vortex comprised of the
glass' (earth & water) elemental energies with the flash's (air & fire)
elemental energies. This differential of all four element-energies of such
purity and power being so close to each other all at once seem to attract
and capture these "orbs" in their travels through spiritual planes, just
long enough to photograph them.

Or ...

It might just be air-borne dust close to the front of the camera lens when
the built-in flash fires.

It's difficult to say which. It all depends on how boring and psychotic
your life has become as to which you will choose as the most plausible
explanation.

Martin Brown

MikeM wrote:
> A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
> as
> the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of smaller
> circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any suggestions
> what
> might be causing it?
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
illuminated by the built in flash.

Regards,
Martin Brown

David J Taylor

"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:KkxOm.30508$(E-Mail Removed)...
> MikeM wrote:
>> A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
>> as the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of
>> smaller circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any
>> suggestions
>> what might be causing it?
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
> illuminated by the built in flash.
>
> Regards,
> Martin Brown

... and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras as they have a greater
depth of field, and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
Less prevalent with DSLRs.

Cheers,
David

The DSLR-Troll's Correction Officer

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:01:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

>"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:KkxOm.30508$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> MikeM wrote:
>>> A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos such
>>> as the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a number of
>>> smaller circles that are in different positions on each photo. Any
>>> suggestions
>>> what might be causing it?
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

>> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
>> illuminated by the built in flash.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Martin Brown

>.. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras

And yet, I have never seen even one in the hundreds of thousands of
photographs that I've taken with my P&S cameras.

> as they have a greater depth of field,

Which would make them smaller and less apparent if all other lighting and
subject positionings were also equal.

> and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
>Less prevalent with DSLRs.

Only due to the DSLRs gargantuan and ungainly size. It's not due to quality
issues of any sort. Only the proximity of a flash to the lens is what
causes this. Nothing more. Use a flash in a hot-shoe on a P&S camera (many
have them), or use an off-camera flash with a slave unit, shielding the
built-in flash from emitting light forward, and the problem becomes
non-existent for all P&S cameras.

MC

David J Taylor wrote:

> "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:KkxOm.30508$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > MikeM wrote:
> > > A friend asked me what could be causing the circles on his photos
> > > such as the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a
> > > number of smaller circles that are in different positions on
> > > each photo. Any suggestions what might be causing it?
> > >
> > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/35877005@N03/4127152735/

> > Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
> > illuminated by the built in flash.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Martin Brown

> .. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras as they have a greater
> depth of field, and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
> Less prevalent with DSLRs.

This is correct.

MC

MC

The DSLR-Troll's Correction Officer wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:01:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> > news:KkxOm.30508$(E-Mail Removed)...

> such >>> as the one on Flickr. Other photos in the series had a
> number of >>> smaller circles that are in different positions on each
> photo. Any >>> suggestions

> >> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
> >> illuminated by the built in flash.
> > >
> >> Regards,
> >> Martin Brown

> > .. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras

> And yet, I have never seen even one in the hundreds of thousands of
> photographs that I've taken with my P&S cameras.

Normally only effects digital cameras as the sensor is more sensitive
in the extremes of colour spectrum that film. About time you went
digital if a P&S is all you can muster.

> > as they have a greater depth of field,

> Which would make them smaller and less apparent if all other lighting
> and subject positionings were also equal.

Depends how close the particle was to the lens.

> > and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
> > Less prevalent with DSLRs.

> Only due to the DSLRs gargantuan and ungainly size. It's not due to
> quality issues of any sort. Only the proximity of a flash to the lens
> is what causes this. Nothing more. Use a flash in a hot-shoe on a P&S
> camera (many have them) ...

....and lot of them don't.

> ...or use an off-camera flash with a slave
> unit, shielding the built-in flash from emitting light forward, and
> the problem becomes non-existent for all P&S cameras.

Bit of a hassle though, don't you think? Eliminates the whole point of
P&S, something easy and quick to use in a snap shot situation. First
you moan about the size and weight of a an dSLR then you advocate
lugging around half a ton of flash gear. Unbelievable.

MC

Ray Fischer

The DSLR-Troll's Correction Officer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 15:01:36 GMT, "David J Taylor"
><(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>>news:KkxOm.30508$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
>>> illuminated by the built in flash.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Martin Brown

>>.. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras

>And yet, I have never seen even one in the hundreds of thousands of
>photographs that I've taken with my P&S cameras.

You don't take pictures, asshole troll.

--
Ray Fischer

Martin Brown

MC wrote:
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> "Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:KkxOm.30508$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Dust in the air near the camera very out of focus and strongly
>>> illuminated by the built in flash.

>> .. and more likely to be seen with P&S cameras as they have a greater
>> depth of field, and have the flash axially closer to the taking lens.
>> Less prevalent with DSLRs.

> This is correct.

Although it can still happen with an SLR or DSLR if the flash is too
close to the lens axis and the air is a bit dusty - eg at a barn dance.

A very brutal version is in a blizzard if the flash goes off.

Incidentally has anyone else seen the warning on the new Ixus 100 etc
which says words to the effect that the flash intensity out of the tiny
window is so high it will inflict burns if you put your finger over it
and it definitely vapourises organic dust in a puff of smoke!

Regards,
Martin Brown