Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Etherchannel/vlan question

Etherchannel/vlan question

Chris

Hi
I want to know if this is possible.

I have an etherchannel of 4 ports carrying multiple vlans.

I want to limit the bandwidth on 1 of these vlans to not use more than
1gb, is this possible?

Thanks

donjohnston donjohnston is offline
Member

Yes, an etherchannel can be a trunk.

And yes, you can use rate limiting (providing your platform and IOS support it) to restrict bandwidth on the etherchannel.

Thrill5

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I want to know if this is possible.
>
> I have an etherchannel of 4 ports carrying multiple vlans.
>
> I want to limit the bandwidth on 1 of these vlans to not use more than
> 1gb, is this possible?
>
> Thanks

For the most part rate-limiting and traffic shaping isn't supported vlan
interfaces on switches. Why not just put this vlan on its own gig
interface?

Chris

On Nov 25, 3:18*am, "Thrill5" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...> Hi
> > I want to know if this is possible.

> > I have an etherchannel of 4 ports carrying multiple vlans.

> > I want to limit the bandwidth on 1 of these vlans to not use more than
> > 1gb, is this possible?

> > Thanks

> For the most part rate-limiting and traffic shaping isn't supported vlan
> interfaces on switches. * Why not just put this vlan on its own gig
> interface?

So we have only 4 physical ports, and mutliple vlans. (trunk port). We
want to guarantee that 4 of the vlans have 3.2 gbs. So want to limit
one vlan which could potentially use a lot of bandwidth to say
250mbs.

I tried it out using rate limit and police commands but it had no
effect.